Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
Jul 27, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #19,276 of 63,798
to be honest, I haven't noticed anything like that (not that I specifically looked for it though) and I think I'll notice when I take them out of the ears.I'll try and see if these do that, you'll have to wait for me to get back home...

Easiest way to find out is to just open wide and close your mouth when music is playing, if the sound is changing then you know there's a problem. Notice the Highs when you do this.

Jul 27, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #19,277 of 63,798
I'm asking this because when i use cheap foam tips, they have a tendency to close on the nozzle when they are inside the ear. I'm interested to know if these have a stronger material which prevents the memory foam from closing on the nozzle.

That might mean the tips are too large. The wedge-shaped foam tips are available in S M and L, but many sellers only sell 1 size. I don't mean the nozzle size either - the SML I'm referring to is the actual tip size.

Here's an example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...m-memory-foam-eartips-for-in/32732040972.html

It could also mean that the tips are too long, and are being closed off at the place in your ear canal where there is a sharp turn (I forget what this is called). You can avoid this by trimming down the tips to make them shorter, or you can get the "ball" style foam tips like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4Pa...-Tips-For-In-Earphone-Earbud/32722845687.html

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #19,278 of 63,798
That might mean the tips are too large. The wedge-shaped foam tips are available in S M and L, but many sellers only sell 1 size. I don't mean the nozzle size either - the SML I'm referring to is the actual tip size.

Here's an example: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10p...m-memory-foam-eartips-for-in/32732040972.html

It could also mean that the tips are too long, and are being closed off at the place in your ear canal where there is a sharp turn (I forget what this is called). You can avoid this by trimming down the tips to make them shorter, or you can get the "ball" style foam tips like this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4Pa...-Tips-For-In-Earphone-Earbud/32722845687.html

Some sellers in AE even let you choose the bore size (T100/200/400/500), tip diameter (S/M/L) and colour in the quantities you wish, if you leave a message. For instances, if you buy 10 tips you can choose:
4 units, T200, Medium, Black
4 units, T400, Large, Black
2 units, T100, Large, Red

Jul 27, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #19,279 of 63,798

Yea, i trim down all my foam tips and it helps. I just thought maybe it happens because there is no inner ring to keep it from closing down on the nozzle.

I haven't noticed there's 3 sizes for each T200/400/500 knockoff, that's more complicated than buying the earphones themselves!

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #19,280 of 63,798
BTW, sorry for double post, but are there any balanced cables for these? if so, has anyone tried them? I'd like to hear what's all this balanced thing is about and want to get a balanced Dac/amp...
Balanced sound keeps you from tipping over as you listen.

Jul 27, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #19,281 of 63,798
BTW, sorry for double post, but are there any balanced cables for these? if so, has anyone tried them? I'd like to hear what's all this balanced thing is about and want to get a balanced Dac/amp...
Balanced sound keeps you from tipping over as you listen.

Jul 27, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #19,285 of 63,798
Yea, i trim down all my foam tips and it helps. I just thought maybe it happens because there is no inner ring to keep it from closing down on the nozzle.

I haven't noticed there's 3 sizes for each T200/400/500 knockoff, that's more complicated than buying the earphones themselves!

Could be because there's nothing in the end. Maybe you can rig some sort of small oring in there. Or perhaps when you trim them down, remove all of the foam from the cut off piece until it exposes the rubber center tube, then stick that tube section down inside the tip to act as an inner ring.

You can kind of get what I was explaining before about the ear canal from this photo from Spinfit:

Spinfit Explanation.png

If you imagine a foam eartip instead of the silicone ones in the photos, you can see how the ear canal curves to the side, which can smoosh in the end of foam eartips out of shape. Silicone tips do not have this problem. And when you have foam tips that are too long, or too large, that extra foam has to go somewhere (so again it can sometimes smoosh together at the tip).

Getting one of the round foam tips might help with this, as I've noticed that their ends crush less than the wedge-shaped foam tips. You might just have an odd-shaped ear drum vs the average person.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #19,286 of 63,798
Could be because there's nothing in the end. Maybe you can rig some sort of small oring in there. Or perhaps when you trim them down, remove all of the foam from the cut off piece until it exposes the rubber center tube, then stick that tube section down inside the tip to act as an inner ring.

You can kind of get what I was explaining before about the ear canal from this photo from Spinfit:

If you imagine a foam eartip instead of the silicone ones in the photos, you can see how the ear canal curves to the side, which can smoosh in the end of foam eartips out of shape. Silicone tips do not have this problem. And when you have foam tips that are too long, or too large, that extra foam has to go somewhere (so again it can sometimes smoosh together at the tip).

Getting one of the round foam tips might help with this, as I've noticed that their ends crush less than the wedge-shaped foam tips. You might just have an odd-shaped ear drum vs the average person.

Maybe the round ones are the right ones.
I think they need to compile a test kit of all these shapes and sizes.:thinking::grinning:

Jul 27, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #19,287 of 63,798
So, I received my first set of ZS5's yesterday, and had a listen today. First impression is wow. These are the real deal. Listened to a piece I have used for years to audition stereo equipment with, the CSO Bernstein Shostakovich Sym. 1/7. To me, these iems sound quite well balanced. Good soundstage, depth, etc. The sound spectrum seems quite realistic, no glaring weaknesses. The 3rd movement of Shostakovich 7 starts with clarinets and woodwinds, and is quite hard to reproduce well, but these iems did quite well. You should hear this piece with Apogee Divas or Scintillas and Mark Levinson amplifiers...

So, I have to say, a very good first impression, totally stock cable and starline tips, just with my phone as well. These are hard to drive, but the sound did not compress.

Jul 27, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #19,290 of 63,798
How common is the limited deal on Gearbest ? I wanted to buy KZ ZST and if these deals are common, I can wait

Users who are viewing this thread

Back