Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 29, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #17,911 of 63,834
Have you tried the Superlux HD681EVOs? Looking to get one but will have to look at some of your suggestions now :D
I'd also suggest the Archeer AH07 as long as you don't mind some extra bass but the build and battery life a great.

May 29, 2017 at 6:17 AM Post #17,912 of 63,834
Replying some earlier posts on the Chinese vs Foreigner boxes and cables.

I suspect all boxes coming out from KZ is the nicer box. For the global resellers they might repackage it into the smaller/lighter boxes for lower shipping costs (both weight and volume savings), as that metal plate holding the eartips is already fairly substantial, and the cardboard box is quite thick and heavy. But if you buy from the more reputable sellers, I wouldn't be too concerned about fakes or other issues.

Stock cable for ZST and ZS3/ZS5 are rubbery and a little sticky. Not great to tie up and put away (I use the figure 8 method to avoid kinks), and even worse to untangle if you do get them tangled. But durability wise I've been using my ZST daily for about 6 months now, still going strong. Silver/gold cable feels nicer and is less sticky so will be easier to wrap or untangle. But I use the mic and volume controls all the time, so the silver/gold cables only act as my backup when the stock cable breaks eventually.

May 29, 2017 at 7:27 AM Post #17,914 of 63,834
Have you tried the Superlux HD681EVOs? Looking to get one but will have to look at some of your suggestions now :D

+1 for the Bluedio T4s. Lovely balanced sounding headphones with excellent separation and detail. Just don't but then for watching videos as there is audible lag, all though they can be used wired we this isn't an issue.

On a KZ note though my ZS5s have just been shipped by NiceHCK after a long wait. Can't wait to get them!

May 29, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #17,917 of 63,834

681 EVOs aren't bluetooth. You were looking for full-size bluetooth headphone recommendations, correct?

May 29, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #17,918 of 63,834
May 29, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #17,920 of 63,834
681 EVOs aren't bluetooth. You were looking for full-size bluetooth headphone recommendations, correct?
Erm actually no? Yeah as I looked back at my initial reply I can we definitely see why one would make that assumption haha, should've specified I guess. No wonder I was only getting recommendations for bluetooth headphones lol. If you feel like it, you can shoot me with some options for wired ones or a link to a budget full sized forum maybe? I listen to mainly vocal oriented stuff and occasionally classical. Something with good imaging and soundstage, vocal clarity and decent details is what I'm eyeing up. Would love it if you could provide me with some more options especially if they are better than the ones you mentioned before. Don't really mind if they are wireless or not lol. Although I hope I'm not bothering anyone with the off topic discussion though

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #17,921 of 63,834
Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #17,922 of 63,834
Well i got my ZS5 few days ago and firstly i have to agree with @ricemanhk about needing to mod out the memory cable part in order to get the best fitment. There is a day and night difference for me seriously in terms of fit without the memory cable and it appears that i can wear them longer much more comfortably.

Sound wise i wasn't quite fit to do some critical listening as i was suffering from migraine past few days but i can say it's pretty positive. Migraine could've triggered my sensitivity towards the higher frequencies so it came off a bit too bright and fatiguing to me with a very slight hint of sibilant to those very sibilant proned tracks and this may be due to partly that i wasn't getting a good fit too before i mod out the memory wire. Not sure if this is gonna be relevant but anyway treble sensitives' do take note.

Now that I'm recovering to my usual state for listening, after just a brief session it's actually quite a pleasant sound overall ,pretty balance with just a slight recess in the midrange, more of an U rather than v shape signature. Bass is quite prominent as well as treble and the overall clarity is good with a bit of warmth in overall tonality.

The bass is pretty tight and well textured. Bass notes are well defined out of all the KZ, it's more rumbly than punchy probably something between ZST & ZS3 level of bass but takes out the unwanted boominess of ZS3 and there you go, sounds just right in between.

Fitment plays a big role in bass so i'm gonna talk more about it, if you notice there's a vent hole in front at side facing our ear. If you cover the vent fully you'll find the bass being enhanced by a lot (it's a good modding point for basshead) If you don't get a good fit, the vent hole may not be covered enough to bring enough body to the bass in order to make it enjoyable therefore it explains pretty much why some Taobao reviews talked about it as bass light / shallow bass. Getting a good fit pretty much solves this or if you don't kind it at basshead level just do the tape mod.

The midrange is clear and full of details. Male vocals sounded fuller than female vocals; the upper midrange part could come off as a little bit thin for me but it's likely just a matter of preference. I've re-listened with proper fit (after modded out the memory wire) a few of those sibilant proned track i used to test and it tends to be slightly sibilant, not to the point that it will be noticeably annoying but its there.

Treble is very prominent on the ZS5 imo, forward and sufficiently bright with lots of details. Percussive instrument sounded crisp and clear. Not a hint of harshness as far as i'm listening to, pretty smooth & linear without noticeable peak. However it can be slightly fatiguing for long listening session due to too much of the treble details it's reproducing.

Soundstage is pretty decent, it's much wider rather than deeper. Good instrument separation without blur between instruments even during phase where lots of instruments coming into the mix it still handles them well.

It's actually pretty hard to imagine this ZS5 housed 2 dynamic driver as it doesn't feels so, i really thought i would get something bassier with thicker sound so what i've heard is pretty much a surprise. Would've loved it more if KZ would make a metal version for it because it feels like cheap plastic toy in my hand coz it's very light and doesn't give a solid feel, i actually don't mind paying more for a more rock solid metallic version if there is.

As usual jmho and ymmv. I believe others can definitely tell a better story about the ZS5.

May 29, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #17,923 of 63,834
Erm actually no? Yeah as I looked back at my initial reply I can we definitely see why one would make that assumption haha, should've specified I guess. No wonder I was only getting recommendations for bluetooth headphones lol. If you feel like it, you can shoot me with some options for wired ones or a link to a budget full sized forum maybe? I listen to mainly vocal oriented stuff and occasionally classical. Something with good imaging and soundstage, vocal clarity and decent details is what I'm eyeing up. Would love it if you could provide me with some more options especially if they are better than the ones you mentioned before. Don't really mind if they are wireless or not lol. Although I hope I'm not bothering anyone with the off topic discussion though

Not wanting to be rude but... this is KZ thread.

May 29, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #17,924 of 63,834
...pretty balance with just a slight recess in the midrange...

Soundstage is pretty decent, it's much wider rather than deeper...

Didn`t want to read this... well... hope it`s not so big deal and noticeable.

May 29, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #17,925 of 63,834
Has anyone received it in this package?

18698309_1244670705643125_6984169320731003832_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back