Knowledge Zenith (KZ) impressions thread
May 27, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #17,881 of 63,834
So if there's no crossover in the ZS5 dividing frequencies does it make for a thick warm sound? Do the twin armatures in the nozzle have some kind of crossover or are they both doing the same job?

There's only 1 BA in the nozzle. The other is buried down inside of the shell (at the back).

KZ states that 1 of the BA drivers handles high frequencies, while the other handles "ultra-high frequencies".

What is ultra-high frequencies? Well, KZ states that the ZS5 reliably reproduces frequencies up to 45,000Hz (which is only audible to dogs and other animals).

With that reality, I personally view the ZS5 as a triple driver. Yes, the 4th driver (ultra-high frequency BA driver) is connected, but it's not contributing anything that a human can hear.

I mean, I can attach ultraviolet or infrared lights to the front of my car, but since humans can't see in either spectrum, it would not have any functional purpose. From a marketing standpoint though, it would set my car apart from all the other cars on the road. I have a suspicion that's what might be going on with the ZS5.

Last edited:
May 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #17,882 of 63,834
So the ZS5 is dual dynamic bass and mids with BA highs and ultra highs for headroom?
johnny bravo.png

May 27, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #17,884 of 63,834

Well this is speculation, it is most likely producing frequencies well within the human hearing range. Unless you have measured what the BA driver is doing.

May 27, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #17,885 of 63,834
RIP

May 27, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #17,886 of 63,834
Any good soft silicone tips for the zs3?

Seems the consensus is to use foams and while I will buy some foam tips would just like to know for future reference.

At this time the only foam tips I have are 1 pair of Comply T400 Platinums. Right now I have them installed onto the kz ed4s and they are making them sound more neutral reducing the highs. Not sure I like the foam any better than the sony hybrid on the ed4s. The bass is boomier with the hybrids.

Overall my experience with comply t400s is slightly above average just in general with other iems too but I was expecting to like these foams a bit more. Will have to try other brands of foams but I really like sony hybrid type of tip if I could find something similar to use with the zs3. Much more practical the soft silicone and lasts longer imo.

May 27, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #17,887 of 63,834

Seems the consensus is to use foams and while I will buy some foam tips would just like to know for future reference.

At this time the only foam tips I have are 1 pair of Comply T400 Platinums. Right now I have them installed onto the kz ed4s and they are making them sound more neutral reducing the highs. Not sure I like the foam any better than the sony hybrid on the ed4s. The bass is boomier with the hybrids.

Overall my experience with comply t400s is slightly above average just in general with other iems too but I was expecting to like these foams a bit more. Will have to try other brands of foams but I really like sony hybrid type of tip if I could find something similar to use with the zs3. Much more practical the soft silicone and lasts longer imo.
I use these on my ZS3. Love em.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/SYMBIO-Silico...niversal-Ear-Tip-Eartip-Eartips-/122455642972

There's also a wide bore version, but I don't know how they'll affect the sound.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/SYMBIO-W-Wide...ecial-Hybrid-Universal-Ear-Tips-/122463282100

May 28, 2017 at 1:10 AM Post #17,888 of 63,834
Well this is speculation, it is most likely producing frequencies well within the human hearing range. Unless you have measured what the BA driver is doing.

Yes, it is speculation and I have not measured the frequencies from the BA drivers myself.

But as far as the purpose of each driver, and the maximum frequency, I'm going by what KZ stated themselves. Of the 2 BA drivers, 1 is dedicated for HF and the other for UHF. They also proudly state that the ZS5 can reproduce frequencies up to 45KHz. Since humans can't even hear that high, I see using that as a selling point is nothing more than creative marketing. I understand why they did this though (& I don't knock them for doing it) - anything a company can do to set themselves apart from the competition is generally a smart marketing move.

Hopefully someone will tear one down and measure each BA driver so we know what frequency ranges are handled by each of the respective drivers. It will be very interesting to see the lowest frequency of the UHF driver (xxKHz - 45KHz). The drivers were supposedly custom-made for KZ, so it's unknown if a datasheet will be available - but that would be another option for technical data.

zs5_2.jpg zs5_1.jpg

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 2:19 AM Post #17,890 of 63,834
Without info it's silly to think UHF is going to be 20kHz and over.

I think it's more likely that it kicks in around 6-10kHz.

Also a balanced armature going up to 45kHz is marketing, I don't personally believe those specs.

But I look forward to receiving mine, they have finally shipped

May 28, 2017 at 8:33 AM Post #17,893 of 63,834
Waiting on my ZS5.

Back into earphones again after a few years break.

Started a few years back with these:
KZ edse
KZ es 'the acme'
Havi b3 pro1
Huawei Honor AM12

Then moved on to headphones
Takstar Pro 80
Superlux HD668B
Superlux HD661
Audio technica ATH-AD900X

(Various bookshelf speakers)

Now back to earphones again!
Just bought:
KZ ATR
KZ ZS3
Awaiting KZ ZS5

Has been a couple of years since I used my earphones! Totally can't remember how they sound. Looking forward to comparing them all again.

I've actually got one more earphone that I can't remember what model it is! Pretty sure it is a KZ one. Anyone here have any idea?

NRBNaU1.jpg

Edit: all good now! Found out they are penon iem

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #17,894 of 63,834
No crossover, here's ZS5 guts
DAMR3AVUwAA9hNe.jpg

The no crossover part is interesting, because KZ clearly shows a crossover in their cutaway image:

ZS5-crossover.jpg
This wouldn't be the 1st ChiFi to do this. I have bought other ChiFis which did the same thing (showed crossovers in stock photos but actual product has none whatsoever). And that sucks because crossovers make all the difference in the world in multi-driver IEMs, in addition to making it possible to change out resistors yourself if you feel so inclined.

I'd rather pay another $5usd for a proper crossover network than just relying on the drivers to produce whatever frequencies they do naturally and praying that it all works in unison. As more drivers are crammed into the same shell this becomes even more important.

Update: Can anyone identify what this item is (mounted vertically on the edge of the shell)? Is it simply a connection board (serving as an attachment point for driver wires), or is it indeed a crossover? The photo is too grainy to tell, and it also looks too small to be a crossover.

ZS5 possible crossover.jpg

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #17,895 of 63,834

jvc spiral dots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back