knife-fi?
Mar 1, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #2,086 of 2,248

What is your sharpening process?

just the basic 3000 and 8000 grit. 10000 grit for finishing. i try to keep it less than 15 degree angle all the time, so not only the edge is thin, but the body as well. it improves the durability of the sharpness. left and right, since they have double bevel.

I had a knife that was ground to around 13˚, which makes for quite an easy slicer. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,087 of 2,248

I had a knife that was ground to around 13˚, which makes for quite an easy slicer. 

it is great when you want to cut soft vegetables. like cucumber, eggplant, onion.. or even salmon

Mar 2, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #2,088 of 2,248

I'm more into the traditionals.  Great Eastern is my favorite brand.  Here's a few examples.

Nice! That's most of what I collect and use these days as well. I have several dozen GEC's with a handful in regular rotation. 

Today I'm carrying a mid 1940s (est). Shapleigh HDW Diamond Edge barlow, and a new GEC beagle. 

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #2,089 of 2,248
Nice Shapleigh.  Looks to be in very good shape for its age.  I love a good Barlow.

Anyone else collect Lagiuole?

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #2,091 of 2,248
I​ guess I should've expected as much entering a thread like this, but wow some of the blades in this thread are stunning.

And here I am excited about my Kershaw Scallion blade and it's easy open flipper!

Mar 12, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #2,092 of 2,248
Of all the knives in my collection the Spyderco Sage 2 is still my favorite EDC.  It's the perfect size for my needs, keeps a good edge, and is easy to deploy and close with one hand.  The carbon fiber doesn't chew up a pocket as badly as G-10 does, and the wire pocket clip is discreet.  I rarely carry anything else these days. 

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #2,093 of 2,248
I have a few - Buck 309, Buck 305, Buck 505, Kershaw Cryo, Ganzo G7211, Sanrenmu 6011, and old pearl Imperial from the 1940s that I got from my father. I also have a Ganzo G7511 and a little Dacoria flipper coming from Fasttech.

Sep 10, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #2,094 of 2,248
I've got a CRKT M16-KZ10 with AutoLAWKS locking system (That's the red button at the top) I usually carry. It's small and unimposing enough that I don't feel like I'll get charged with carrying it clipped inside my front pocket. Flips open by finger in a flash:

m1619kz.jpg

A Smith & Wesson H.R.T. with magnesium handle that is my favorite folding knife to carry, flips open with a flick of the finger quicker than you'd know I had it out, with matching 16 " ASP should the need arise:

swhrtasp.jpg

And for when times get hard an Italian made Extrema Ratio T2000M Tenebra with 11.81" blade of 58 HRC stainless N690 cobalt steel. It has a really nice feel to it:

extremeratio.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #2,096 of 2,248
Of all the knives in my collection the Spyderco Sage 2 is still my favorite EDC. It's the perfect size for my needs, keeps a good edge, and is easy to deploy and close with one hand. The carbon fiber doesn't chew up a pocket as badly as G-10 does, and the wire pocket clip is discreet. I rarely carry anything else these days.

That of course is your Sage 1.

I've had an unused Sage 2 (Reeves Integral Lock, Ti scales) for a couple months, but have it listed for sale (@ candlepower forums) since yesterday. Great quality Taichung build--but I prefer lighter cheaper knives these days.

Oct 21, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2,097 of 2,248
That of course is your Sage 1.

I've had an unused Sage 2 (Reeves Integral Lock, Ti scales) for a couple months, but have it listed for sale (@ candlepower forums) since yesterday. Great quality Taichung build--but I prefer lighter cheaper knives these days.
Good catch. Yes, I mistakenly labeled that puppy. It is the Sage 1. I still prefer it over my Sage 2.

But since posting that pic a Chris Reeve Inkosi has kicked all other knives out of my pocket. It's perfect for my daily use.

Oct 21, 2017 at 9:09 PM Post #2,098 of 2,248
Good catch. Yes, I mistakenly labeled that puppy. It is the Sage 1. I still prefer it over my Sage 2.

But since posting that pic a Chris Reeve Inkosi has kicked all other knives out of my pocket. It's perfect for my daily use.

Wish I still had my Inkosi.

Love the Sage 2 as well, especially the build quality. What tends to bother me is how the over-broadness of its leaf shaped blade, sacrifices a bit of compactness in the pocket, for a look that I don't like all to much anyway. The Manix 2 leaf shape is about as leafy as I can handle.

With the recent discontinuation of the M4 Mantra, I'm betting on a re-released Mantra with a stainless blade hopefully in XHP.

Nov 20, 2017 at 11:54 PM Post #2,099 of 2,248
Some really nice blades! I bought a dan winkler hunter that I really like. I used to be into fancy custom knives but decided I don’t want to own a knife that was so expensive that I would be afraid to actually use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back