KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Apr 7, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #436 of 834
mulveling
epic post is here post #7798
I'm going to DIY T2 route, take many time maybe. I'm reading "how to build tube amp" type basic books lol.

Thanks for digging it out ! Man....this hobby is really really evil. If you are going to the DIY route, how about joining a group buy for boards and chassis :D. Good point to start out

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #437 of 834
Ha ha! please come to dark side of Stax mafia! 
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #438 of 834
Hi, I have the same combination and experience powered by 901s DAP, so good to hear your own feedback, I am toying with a Yggy DAC introduction and wondering if it would add to the overall sound....Birgir (supplier of my coveted amp) did suggest it might be an interesting idea. I listen mostly to jazz trios/vocals etc. Would love to hear the T2 against this still formidable rig....

Apr 8, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #440 of 834
Purk, a trusted friend of me said that carbon is only 10% away from T2. So a good carbon can be your ultimate rig.

10-15% is more appropriate.  But yeah, I love the Carbon a lot but prefer the T2 over all.  

Apr 9, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #444 of 834

Purk, a trusted friend of me said that carbon is only 10% away from T2. So a good carbon can be your ultimate rig.

10-15% is more appropriate.  But yeah, I love the Carbon a lot but prefer the T2 over all.  

Purk
If possible, how would you characterise the T2 sound difference v your Carbon (with your recently updated PS)? That is with decent NOS tubes in the T2. Is it more tubey and warmer? The BHSE in my listing tests was if anything, a bit brighter oddly. My Carbon is set at 18mA which I think yours is. Impressions with the 009 please. Thanks Purk.

My system (network connections and power supplies) and DAC changes (tube rolling) has for me, finally, erased the last bit of digital character as I call it, i.e. now more organic and real sounding like a top turntable source can attain IMO. It is fascinating just how far these KG amps can go TBH. Top respect to Kevin.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #445 of 834
So, Gilmore already had this Carbon version out, but doesn't seem many are being built yet. Those were built, people don't care to give impression enough ? The Carbon + Tubes = Kevin Grounded Grid. This thing look so freaking awesome though

Picture courtesy of Joe and not mine

May 17, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #446 of 834
Hey everyone. Just working my way through the 30-odd pages of this topic. I'm interested to hear if anyone here has tried the KGSS Carbon with the L700s (rather than the 007 or 009s)? I am currently only on my second Stax iteration (I started with the 404 Signatures and 006T, sold the 404s and bought the L700). In the long-run, I may end up with 009s (or, perhaps, whatever comes next?) but in the meantime I am curious whether the (significant) investment in a KGSS Carbon would be wasted on L700s, or if they'd be transformed. I've been told that they might suit tubes better than s/s, but as it's extremely difficult to audition anything Stax related here (not to mention any custom amps) I have to rely on those that have tried these things before. Ta.

May 17, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #447 of 834
I've posted on this pairing before. I love the L700, and they can scale up to take advantage of the Carbon / BHSE level amps -- not as much as the 009 can, but still a worthy upgrade. The L700 / Carbon pairing sounds awesome, BUT it does have quite a bit of energy on top -- even more that the 009 / Carbon, but perhaps in different spots (Yggy /coaxial source, same for both). If you have a warm source or can tolerate the extra brightness, it should be OK. That said, I think the L700 is a more natural pairing with tubes, and it's at its best on a BHSE.

May 21, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #450 of 834
I say focus on amp pairing; buy the best you can afford (preferably used) that complements your main chosen 'stat. The DAC field continues to get more crowded each day, with plenty of great affordable contenders. And once you get to say the NAD M51 or Yggy level of quality, the differences are smaller to me, compared to amp differences (note that I listen somewhat loud, which is taxing for 'stat amps) -- just avoid the stuff that's sonic sandpaper (e.g. old Benchmark DAC1). I have a Yggy and it's been a great DAC for almost 2 years now, holding up far better than most, but if I were buying today there are many good looking contenders for less money, and the lack of DSD is a big negative. I'd consider going down to the $1K DAC level if it meant getting a better amp.

Moving to a very good vinyl source gives a much bigger difference in sound quality again (much more musical); it makes the DAC differences seem relatively petty and insignificant. For me now there's little sense in spending $2k+ in a DAC that will be yesterday's news in 1-2 years max.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back