JVC HAR-X700 and 900. Two of the best dynamics? Am I nuts?
Mar 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #1,216 of 1,224
My daily used and felt moded RX900 broke a few days ago (still fully working but the righ cup is being held by tape now lol) and I need a replacement headphone, anyone got any recommendations?

I already have a pair of Denon D2000s but I need a pair of headphones for daily use and since by rx900 broke I am think of getting an uograde, a headphone thats bettwen rx900 and the D2000.

The Audio Technica A900x are the heaphones that I am looking as a replacement but I need to know if A900X has at least the same amount of bass as rx900.

I have seen a few posts that say bass on a900x is light or that the sub bass isn't that good, but can someone tell if this is true when compared to a rx900.

Also how is the bass on the M50s? Does m50 have more bass than a900x and do they compare to the rx900?

May 28, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #1,217 of 1,224
Do these two cans have the same drivers? The 700's and 900's drivers are the same size... I want to know if the 900's driver is more powerful. Anybody try a high volume distortion test yet?

Jan 12, 2016 at 8:17 PM Post #1,218 of 1,224
I read through almost every post on this thread... And ordered the RX700s yesterday. Curious about how they will sound... I noted several times reading "uh-oh, looks like it has been discontinued" several times and it was amusing since I know they are still around in 2016. :relieved:

Jun 27, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #1,219 of 1,224
I'm just in love with these headphones, the harx900. I bought it in the hope of a good bass, since it's so big. And I think the bass is, in fact, very good. It's smooth, deep, very detailied. Sometimes the 900 sound is too big, too close in, but it can be due to the amplifier I use with it, a Pioneer A-103 from the nineties.

I have spent the last four or five days comparing it to another JVC I own, the HA G11, a super budget model. In spite of the HA G11 modest price, the sound is good enough to let me in trouble to find the differences between them. And they have a similar “JVC sound”.

The fact is that, all of a sudden, I decided put in the mix, just to compare, another budget (but beloved) headphone: Sony mdr XD100.

Remember, I was listening to JVCs for five days. When I switched to Sony's, I was shocked with the bad sounds it was producing. The high notes of the piano seemed to my ears extremely exagerated, sharp, like a cheap electric piano. This was yesterday late night.

Today, early in the morning, I tried again the same music, with the Sony's. For my surprise, now the Sony sound was acceptable. It was still a bit sharp and too forward in the higher notes, but far from that horrible sounds I experimented yesterday.

All of this only to say how the previous equipment influences the one we are hearing at the moment. And how difficult is to analyze any piece of audio equipment.

Aug 9, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #1,220 of 1,224
I had the HARX700 for several years and enjoyed them; I had some modifications I can't remember (most likely from reading this thread years ago). However, they broke down--or specifically, the ear pads broke down--over the years, and I eventually threw the phones away as a result. Perhaps that was a mistake.

May 6, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #1,222 of 1,224
If they can be taken off like the HARX 330, then you should be able to as long you find ear pads that are the right shape and size. I was planning on doing that for my Harx 330 but I could never find out the correct earpad size that would work. Since I didn't want to blindly buy ear pads til one worked.

May 6, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #1,223 of 1,224
Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 8:25 PM Post #1,224 of 1,224
Can you replace the earpads on the HARX700s?
Yes, they're removable, though it has been ages since I did it. Easy way to tell(if unsure) is to see if you can purchase replacement pads from the manufacturer, that's generally a sign that they can be easily removed. Though if your only problem with them is how thin they are, a very easy fix is to just stuff something behind the inside of the pad(without removing them). It does change the sound giving more oomf to the bass, but I did this when I had the 700's and liked the change for both comfort and sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back