Jotunheim vs Asgard/Bifrost
Jun 25, 2017 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cossix

Headphoneus Supremus
I am thinking about upgrading my M&M Uber stack soon for use with my HD650. I like the idea of building a system around these headphones and I won't be going the tube route. I was wondering if it's better to go the slightly less expensive route and get a Jot with DAC module for 500 or the Asgard and Bifrost for 650. I am very interested in going fully balanced and getting as best a sound as I can from the 650s. I know people say they scale with gear but I feel like there must be a point where diminishing returns applies too much to spend the extra money. Thoughts?

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #2 of 9
If you get the Jot for $500, you're always going to be wondering "what if".. and then you'll probably eventually end up upgrading to the Asgard and Bifrost after selling your Jot for a loss.

Also, I think $150 is a reasonable price to pay for better sound as well as flexibility in having a separate dac and amp module.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 9
At $650 I would go for Jot (no DAC) + Modi Multibit. This is a popular combination giving you a multibit DAC and balanced output to your HD650.
Is it important to have a balanced DAC or does that not matter? I always hear it's not great to have the DAC feed RCA into the amp and expect the balanced amp to make much of a difference

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 9
Is it important to have a balanced DAC or does that not matter? I always hear it's not great to have the DAC feed RCA into the amp and expect the balanced amp to make much of a difference

With the Schiit DACs, another question you should ask yourself is whether or not you care about having a Delta-Sigma DAC or Multi-Bit DAC in your system. To my ears, they sound different in the Gungnir models and I prefer the Multi-Bit DAC. I did own a Gumby at one point but sold it for the reason below.

For me, balanced for headphones makes a difference, but I feel that extra power in balanced connections is better off with speakers.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #6 of 9
The Mimby is good enough that outperforms the Jot internal DAC card, even though it isn't balanced. You can still use the Jot's balanced output to drive the HD650. Look at the Jot specs — its balanced output delivers 2½ times the power of its single-ended output, and the HD650 really benefits from it.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #7 of 9
So what I'm hearing is: Asgard plus Bifrost (or even Modi Multibit) will hands down outperform the Jotunheim, regardless of the Jot's balanced output.

Here is the question then. Would HD650 sound better from Jot+Modi Multibit (Balanced with 900mW of power), or Asgard 2 + Modi Multibit (Single ended with 380mW of power)?

Jun 26, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 9
Would HD650 sound better from Jot+Modi Multibit (Balanced with 900mW of power), or Asgard 2 + Modi Multibit (Single ended with 380mW of power)?
I haven't heard the Asgard and can't comment, but comparisons are out there.

You can go to the Jotunheim thread and search for Asgard:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/search/830369/?q=asgard&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=818323

Also, search in that thread about pairing Jotunheim with HD650:
https://www.head-fi.org/f/search/830876/?q=hd650&t=post&o=relevance&c[thread]=818323

Jun 26, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 9
The internal DAC of the Jot is essentially a Modi 2. Unless you need the desk space savings, I would go with the Modi Multibit (big upgrade over the internal Jot dac) and either the Jot or Valhalla 2. I would not get the Asgard 2 for the 650, the Valhalla 2 and Jot have much better synergy.

Between the Jot and Valhalla 2, it is really down to personal preference. The Jot can really slam, while the Valhalla 2 has a MUCH better holographic soundstage and is a bit smoother in the upper mids/treble. The Modi Multibit and Valhalla 2 would be $550 new and a great setup with excellent synergy with your 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back