JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread
Apr 24, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #2,686 of 3,122
Apr 24, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #2,687 of 3,122
Hello,

I just got a used Angie II and have never known that they are so huge (the biggest IEMs I have ever had) and heavy. My ear canals are in medium size. The Angie II are matched very well with Fiio 5X IlI and the SQ is so good to my taste especially midrange and subbass...The question is to take advantage to the better sound I would like to ask what kind of tips are you using? Thank you.

I have the original Angie which is considerably bigger than the V2, but they're kept in place by my Comply TSX-500. I gave the JVC Spiral Dots and wasn't getting a great seal with them and the bores were exposed so I was concerned about ear wax going into the bores. And I love the isolation I was getting from the Comply as compared to the JVC spiral dots which was also a big factor as I use the Angie's for commute from time to time.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #2,688 of 3,122

I have the original Angie which is considerably bigger than the V2, but they're kept in place by my Comply TSX-500. I gave the JVC Spiral Dots and wasn't getting a great seal with them and the bores were exposed so I was concerned about ear wax going into the bores. And I love the isolation I was getting from the Comply as compared to the JVC spiral dots which was also a big factor as I use the Angie's for commute from time to time.

With Spiral dots, you have to cut some stems from other tips and use them so the Spiral dot tips sits tighter and higher to prevent the issue you're describing. Once you've done that, the seal is great and the sound as well. That being said, foams are nice as well.

Apr 25, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #2,689 of 3,122

With Spiral dots, you have to cut some stems from other tips and use them so the Spiral dot tips sits tighter and higher to prevent the issue you're describing. Once you've done that, the seal is great and the sound as well. That being said, foams are nice as well.

I did give that try but I still found Comply to give me a better seal. It's just for me anyway, it might be just because of my ears that I couldn't get a perfect seal with the Spiral Dots.

Apr 25, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #2,690 of 3,122

Have to agree.  I put spiral dots back on and prefer the uninhibited sound compared to the spinfits.  Just have to figure out how to find 3mm rubber or whatever to stick in to them.

Apr 25, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #2,691 of 3,122
I'm close to giving up on my Angies. They sound good but they hurt my ears. I seem to have small canals. The smallest comply still hurts my ears and is a snug fit. I've tried a range of different silicone tips with little luck - they are often comfortable but too small to seal, or fit well but ache after an hour. They also tend to slowly side out thanks to waxy ears. I'd love to try an XS Comply - but they don't exist. 

I think I'm also spoiled by the sound of my LCDs. Maybe a closed back over ear is in order. But not straight after buying the LCD2 - I'll get shot!

Apr 27, 2017 at 2:51 AM Post #2,692 of 3,122
I'm close to giving up on my Angies. They sound good but they hurt my ears. I seem to have small canals. The smallest comply still hurts my ears and is a snug fit. I've tried a range of different silicone tips with little luck - they are often comfortable but too small to seal, or fit well but ache after an hour. They also tend to slowly side out thanks to waxy ears. I'd love to try an XS Comply - but they don't exist.

I think I'm also spoiled by the sound of my LCDs. Maybe a closed back over ear is in order. But not straight after buying the LCD2 - I'll get shot!

I had the same issue with all the included tips. Shoved the westone start tips in and now can enjoy for 2-3 hrs without fatigue. Please do try before giving up on these. Checkout 64 audio's offerings like U10, U18, if you're planning to upgrade for comfort.

Apr 27, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #2,693 of 3,122
Just got mine today (V1, used). First impressions:

-Not a huge leap upwards from my CA Lyra II detail-wise (voices sound a bit better and soundstage is larger tho)
-Insanely huge, but very comfortable
-Great soundstage and layering
-Why would anyone use the bass adjustment below 12 o' clock?
-BA bass still sucks
-Definitely a keeper, most probably for home listening.
-Great for (Classic)Rock, Metal, Orchestral Music, Acoustic, Jazzblueshwatever
-Totally not recommended for music that relies on hard hitting bass (Electronica, Dubstep...)

Great piece of hardware, but I'm glad I just paid 500 bucks for mine.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #2,694 of 3,122
I tried the startips too. No better. I felt like the covered the bores though. Ears aching again. Considering selling now but just a few months old feels like a waste.

Apr 27, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #2,695 of 3,122
I had the same issue with all the included tips. Shoved the westone start tips in and now can enjoy for 2-3 hrs without fatigue. Please do try before giving up on these. Checkout 64 audio's offerings like U10, U18, if you're planning to upgrade for comfort.
I believe U12 and tia fourte are more along the lines of Angie signature than U10 and U18

Apr 27, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #2,696 of 3,122
Just got mine today (V1, used). First impressions:

-Not a huge leap upwards from my CA Lyra II detail-wise (voices sound a bit better and soundstage is larger tho)
-Insanely huge, but very comfortable
-Great soundstage and layering
-Why would anyone use the bass adjustment below 12 o' clock?
-BA bass still sucks
-Definitely a keeper, most probably for home listening.
-Great for (Classic)Rock, Metal, Orchestral Music, Acoustic, Jazzblueshwatever
-Totally not recommended for music that relies on hard hitting bass (Electronica, Dubstep...)

Great piece of hardware, but I'm glad I just paid 500 bucks for mine.

The closest a BA IEM has gotten to the Dynamic low-end, is the 64Audio U12. My Dorado still beats it, for pure bass, but not by much.

PS. U12 is an excellent upgrade from Angie... when you're ready. :wink:

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #2,697 of 3,122
Well, I join'd the club as well, Just got Angie II and after a big fight trying to get them to fit I now try to get used to the sound. Coming from Th900 and T5P they sound "darker". It is all about getting used to the sound!

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #2,698 of 3,122
I tried the startips too. No better. I felt like the covered the bores though. Ears aching again. Considering selling now but just a few months old feels like a waste.

I have custom Angies and they made me sell my LCD 2.2s; the Angie's sound was more pleasing and the custom fit was more comfortable than the heavy LCD 2.2s.

Apr 29, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #2,699 of 3,122
I find the Angies a little boxy sounding compared to the LCD2F. But the main thing is my ears just dont like IEMs it seems.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #2,700 of 3,122
Had the problem that the Angies sounded muffled with small foam tips. With medium foam tips, they sound great, but start to turn upwards and work their way out of my ear canals after a while. Now listening to them with small silicone tips, seal, fit and sound are perfect. So if anyone has fit issues, try a smaller tip size and get those nozzles deep in your ear canals. They need to be worn much deeper than any other IEM I've tried. Strange.

Btw. the cable looks hideous. Is there a nice and affordable aftermarket solution? I don't belive in cable sound, good looks, low microphonics and sturdiness are more important :wink:

Edit: I'm having a session with Angie, wippin my feet to Dire Straits. I used to hate Dire Straits! What's happeniiiiing???

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back