(It Seems That) The iPhone 6 Will Have A Headphone Jack
Jul 20, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #46 of 58
  Their are only 4 things that stop me from using iPhones.

1. Camera - I really wish they upgraded to a 13+ MP camera, it seems like they have never really done a drastic change with their camera. That's why i love my S5 Active, it's got 16 mega pixels.

2. Storage - Although they do supply 16, 32 and 64 GB storage for iPhones, the price gets higher with each one. On my S5, i pay the same amount as a 16GB iPhone but I can pop a 64GB Micro-SD card in and be good to go.

3. Screen - To me, Apple's "Retina" display isn't that great. I highly prefer the 1080p screen on my S5. It's much more clear and it's so god damn vibrant. Also, i like the bigger screen size, but hopefully Apple will resolve this with this years iPhone 6.

4. Customization - We all know Apple's biggest problem is their restrictive iOS operating system. If maybe icon packs, animations, gestures and launchers were available, iPhone would be my best friend. But that goes for my other 3 reasons.

Megapixels is not everything ..
Taken with a 2006 Nokia N73 (3.2MP)

DxOMark rates the S5 as having the best smartphone camera, but I am very skeptical.  IMO that award should go to the Nokia 808
biggrin.gif

Not a fan of the iPhone / Galaxy S.  But I would probably choose the 5S if I had to, as to me it feels like a more premium phone.  Has its gimmicks, but they do work!  However the Sailfish OS esque ambience of iOS7 clashes with the industrial colors of the 5S, and the reasons you mentioned above make it unappealing for me.

I am currently using a Lumia 925 as my daily driver, and I really cannot see myself switching to either platform.  I said the same exact thing about the Palm Pre 3, so who knows..

Jul 20, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #47 of 58
Have also heard recently that iPhone 6 will only come out in 4.7" version this year.  The 5.5" version has some delayed production issues that will be introduced next year.  Anyone can substantiate on this?

--- Edit ---

Recently, saw a section in the Wall Street Journal stated that Foxconn confirmed the 5.5" version will be in production Sep. this year (4.7" version will also be in production in Aug).  Unclear which version/s will be available this year... 

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #50 of 58
  Apple isn't that cruel that it would release a non-headphone jack iDevice; Only Sony has ever (to my knowledge) released a digital device that needed a headphone dongle. Besides, Apple probably still has like 5 billion EarPods in storage

tongue_smile.gif

Apple is cruel indeed. They released Macbooks Pro's with every upgradeable part soldered to the motherboard so I guess they care very for the consumer standpoint/needs. Jobs at least was famous for imposing his ideas almost forcefully to his staff and since he is not around anymore I cannot confirm if he was ok with turning the Macbook Pro into a more powerful Macbook Air with a prettier screen.

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #51 of 58
any site to find out about dac chips/opamps on every phone?

I guess the only notable phones in terms of sound are the LG G3,Sony Xperia Z2 HTC One M8, Vivo Xplay 3S and Alcatel Idol X  but only the latter 2 have an ESS Sabre 9018 chip (the low powered/less accurate version) . It is said that the Iphone 5 has the highest voltage output among all flagship smartphones but power is not everything since we do not know anything about output impedance, THD or Crosstalk.

So how good sounding is your Iphone in objective terms?

Jul 29, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #52 of 58
  They released Macbooks Pro's with every upgradeable part soldered to the motherboard 

Like every other laptop out there eh?! What parts in ANY laptop can one upgrade beside the RAM and HDD?!

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:49 PM Post #53 of 58
any site to find out about dac chips/opamps on every phone?

I guess the only notable phones in terms of sound are the LG G3,Sony Xperia Z2 HTC One M8, Vivo Xplay 3S and Alcatel Idol X  but only the latter 2 have an ESS Sabre 9018 chip (the low powered/less accurate version) . It is said that the Iphone 5 has the highest voltage output among all flagship smartphones but power is not everything since we do not know anything about output impedance, THD or Crosstalk.

So how good sounding is your Iphone in objective terms?
actually, the m8 has more voltage than the 5s. The 5s has great sound quality... The newer lumia phones are pretty great too.

Megapixels is not everything ..
Taken with a 2006 Nokia N73 (3.2MP)

DxOMark rates the S5 as having the best smartphone camera, but I am very skeptical.  IMO that award should go to the Nokia 808 :D

Not a fan of the iPhone / Galaxy S.  But I would probably choose the 5S if I had to, as to me it feels like a more premium phone.  Has its gimmicks, but they do work!  However the Sailfish OS esque ambience of iOS7 clashes with the industrial colors of the 5S, and the reasons you mentioned above make it unappealing for me.

I am currently using a Lumia 925 as my daily driver, and I really cannot see myself switching to either platform.  I said the same exact thing about the Palm Pre 3, so who knows..
me too. This phone is epic! Wp8 is so smooth. I want a 930 now lol.

Aug 4, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #54 of 58
actually, the m8 has more voltage than the 5s. The 5s has great sound quality... The newer lumia phones are pretty great too.
me too. This phone is epic! Wp8 is so smooth. I want a 930 now lol.

You have the Developer Preview loaded?  Live folders are awesome

Call me crazy, but the Nokia 808 has better sound quality than the M8, 925, and 5S.  Also has an FM transmitter, which works really, really good.  Great for cars without bluetooth.
I think the best phone I have used thus far was the Nokia N91 for listening to music.

I don't think the Lumia line has bad audio quality (headphone out), but it does not shake up the competition by any means.

Aug 4, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #55 of 58
You have the Developer Preview loaded?  Live folders are awesome

Call me crazy, but the Nokia 808 has better sound quality than the M8, 925, and 5S.  Also has an FM transmitter, which works really, really good.  Great for cars without bluetooth.
I think the best phone I have used thus far was the Nokia N91 for listening to music.

I don't think the Lumia line has bad audio quality (headphone out), but it does not shake up the competition by any means.
where would you say the 925 lies in with the 5s and those? ... And I just want to buy a NOS 808 or N8 just for fun sometime. They truly look amazing. The Symbian OS is better than Droid IMO. And yep! 8.1 up in da house! Loving it.

Aug 4, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #56 of 58
where would you say the 925 lies in with the 5s and those? ... And I just want to buy a NOS 808 or N8 just for fun sometime. They truly look amazing. The Symbian OS is better than Droid IMO. And yep! 8.1 up in da house! Loving it.

I don't have an M8 right now, but I think the Lumia 925 could be somewhere inbetween the M8 and 5S.  Its all firmware/platform related issues.  Right now I would place Lumia 925 behind M8 and 5S unless we are comparing music streaming services.

EDIT:  M8 > 5S, higher output and fidelity.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #57 of 58
I don't have an M8 right now, but I think the Lumia 925 could be somewhere inbetween the M8 and 5S.  Its all firmware/platform related issues.  Right now I would place Lumia 925 behind M8 and 5S unless we are comparing music streaming services.

EDIT:  M8 > 5S, higher output and fidelity.
the m8 is supposed to have a more fun sound, and the 5s is supposed to be more analytical. The m8 certainly does have more output.

Oct 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #58 of 58
Updating the thread.

I guess the rumors were indeed rumors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back