Is anyone building the KGSSHV?
Nov 26, 2011 at 8:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 499

verwandlung

Now known as satorarepotenet.
I actually know that some people are, but does anyone know anyone who is or might be planning to sell it? 

Thanks.

Verwandlung

PS. Please don't tell me that I can do it myself: I know I can't!

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 499
I am just not ready to believe this! 
confused_face.gif

Nov 30, 2011 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 499
although there is a standard build that fits in a single pesante chassis, it seems
that everyone building these are going for over the top custom chassis, and once
you build one of those, you don't want to sell it. So eventually one might show
up used, but you are going to wait a while to get it.

Nov 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #4 of 499
Oi, you can do it yourself, save time waiting for a used one turning up in the fs box. :D

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:13 PM Post #6 of 499
Dec 8, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 499

Quote:

Thank you very much Mr. Gilmore. It is very kind of you to share this (but of little use for someone like me I am afraid). At any rate, it seems that I am going to order your other creation, the BHSE, since it is the only one Head Amp is building now. Still, I would much prefer a solid state amp (not having to worry about leaving it on for long periods of time). 

If I may ask, how  does the KGSSHV compare with the BHSE in terms of sound?  

Dec 9, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #8 of 499
The few others that have heard both would be better qualified to answer this.

I'm clearly biased   (about 580 volts)

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #10 of 499
I did design the BH, and justin made a few modifications and the result is the BHSE.

I have at least 9 different kind of stax amps. And a few of them i have 2 of.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 499

Quote:
I did design the BH, and justin made a few modifications and the result is the BHSE.

I have at least 9 different kind of stax amps. And a few of them i have 2 of.

That it was I thought. So then I am not sure why you should be reluctant to say how you think the BH(SE) and the KGSSHV compare. It is not exactly as asking you whether you prefer one child over another, but rather asking what are the strengths and weaknesses (if any!) of one and the other. That being said, I can understand that you would prefer to avoid having to respond to such question. It is pity though since you are among the few who heard both.

On another note, could you tell me how long it took after you designed the BH for Justin to build it? What would be a reasonable guess as to how long it may take before someone decides to commercially build the KGSSHV? It seems that the KGSS was one of the very best electrostatic solid state amp (to drive the Stax 007) and I assume that the HV version is even better... How long, really, can we live without either one of them being produced!? -- I am sure that the your BH(SE) is a masterpiece, but a very HOT one I was told, and with TUBES, which somehow I would like to avoid if I could.

Thanks again. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #12 of 499
Quote:
On another note, could you tell me how long it took after you designed the BH for Justin to build it? What would be a reasonable guess as to how long it may take before someone decides to commercially build the KGSSHV? It seems that the KGSS was one of the very best electrostatic solid state amp (to drive the Stax 007) and I assume that the HV version is even better... How long, really, can we live without either one of them being produced!? -- I am sure that the your BH(SE) is a masterpiece, but a very HOT one I was told, and with TUBES, which somehow I would like to avoid if I could.

This isn't really intended to answer your question but hopefully it clarifies a few things for you:

http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/kgbh/index.htm
http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/bhse/index.htm

The BHSE is sort of an evolution of the KGBH that Justin himself came up with.

Also, you seem to not realize that commercial building of the KGSSHV would have to be approved by Dr. Gilmore. Or in other words, not just anyone will be able or allowed to commercially build KGSSHVs - and Dr. Gilmore is definitely a stickler on who can build his designs. 
wink.gif
The KGSSHV is also primarily a DIY project; if you really wanted a KGSSHV it'd probably be more practical to commission a DIY-er as the probability of commercial production is a lot lower.

Just because HeadAmp stopped producing KGSS amps doesn't mean they're not available anymore. They've been known to appear from time to time on the FS forums. There have also been other DIY-ers' KGSS amps as well, in addition to HeadAmp's.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 499
I do want to prevent another trevornetwork fiasco.
Which means no more plexiglass boxes held together with superglue.

If justin does do the kgsshv it will be just as outrageous as the bhse.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 499

Quote:
This isn't really intended to answer your question but hopefully it clarifies a few things for you:

http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/kgbh/index.htm
http://www.headamp.com/electrostat_amps/bhse/index.htm

The BHSE is sort of an evolution of the KGBH that Justin himself came up with.

Also, you seem to not realize that commercial building of the KGSSHV would have to be approved by Dr. Gilmore. Or in other words, not just anyone will be able or allowed to commercially build KGSSHVs - and Dr. Gilmore is definitely a stickler on who can build his designs. 
wink.gif
The KGSSHV is also primarily a DIY project; if you really wanted a KGSSHV it'd probably be more practical to commission a DIY-er as the probability of commercial production is a lot lower.

Just because HeadAmp stopped producing KGSS amps doesn't mean they're not available anymore. They've been known to appear from time to time on the FS forums. There have also been other DIY-ers' KGSS amps as well, in addition to HeadAmp's.

Thanks for the clarifications. I was mostly aware of those things. That is why I, although indirectly, asked Mr. Gilmore whether he knew when (approximately) we can expect a commercial production of the KGSSHV. Justin (from Head Amp) told me that it was “possible” that he would build it, but didn't go father than that.

The fact is that I am just deeply torn : if I knew that in a year or so there is a  good chance that I can get a KGSSHV (ideally from Head Amp), I think that I would not order the BHSE now and just wait a little longer. But if it was more likely that if a KGSSHV is ever build commercially, it wouldn't be before 2 to 3 years, then my decision would me easy, that is, I would go without further delay for the BHSE with no hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back