IPhone SE impressions thread
Apr 29, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #22 of 33
Hi guys, I have a IPhone SE since a few days (128Gb version), and I must say I really impressed.

I am using a Sennheiser M2 (over ear wired model with the Apple remote of course) and it works well.

Sound quality :
The sound signature is overall slightly warm

Soundstage is large, accurate, instruments and vocals are well separated.

Bass are clean and tight, mids and treble are properly defined.

Micro details are well retrieved and easy to listen to, I hear everything in the recording, or at least a huge part of it.

This headphone doesn't require a lot of power (only 18 ohms/113db!) and the SE does the job without any difficulty.

I use Qobuz (streaming) with flac 16 bit (CD quality) and I will soon compare MP3 and CD quality of some of my favorites albums.

In conclusion, it can be a wonderful player music inside a compact smartphone, with a nice battery (for an iPhone hehe).

About the sound signature, the DX80 feels a bit too neutral and digital for me, I prefer the SE signature which provides a more analogic sound.

Obviously, the DX80 is superior technically in every section and produces much more power in high gain to be able to drive high impedance headphones.

May 3, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #23 of 33
Has anyone compared the iPhone SE to the Fiio X3ii? I am debating getting teh Fiio X3ii for a DAP to play my 24bit 96k WAV files. I know I can load Foobar on the iPhone and that should play the files. but how does the SQ compair between the X3ii and the iPhone SE? I have some Sennheiser IE80 headphones on order so I will be using those on it. Just want to know if the sound is compairable or if its worth spending the $170 on the Fiio...

May 4, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #24 of 33
I use it with pleasure, alone or with the duoo x5 dac...this last solution gives a longer battery life, for the xduoo has one, and if it's starting before the phone it doesn't use the battery of it...

May 5, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #25 of 33
I will separate the iPhone SE for a LG G6 (which I did not listen to).
The iPhone offers a nice but not audiophile listen, all the converse of the Fii X3ii to my ears.

Sep 9, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #26 of 33
Totally agree. I upgraded from an iPhone 5s to the SE and the sound is great. I would say a slightly warmer sound. SE performance is amazingly fast and love the fact that it works with my existing Onkyo DAC-HA200 lightning connection headphone amp. The SE and HA200 are a perfect match.
Hi, since I'm very new to the audiophile grade sound world, I've been listening to music for the past couple of years using my XBA-4's, now I've purchased the XBA-Z5, and I'm starting to amass a collection of Hi-Res Flac audio (24/44 or 24/96). I've read that natively, the headphone jack on an iphone by itself can't output the full 24/44 or 96, so, in order to get the full listening experience, do I need an external DAC? I've read on other sites that the iphone SE (the one I have) has a decent DAC, but the full sound won't come out directly from the jack, and that I'd need to plug the jack through a DAC that connects to the lightning connector, I'm guessing this is true?

I'm sorry once again, I'm pretty new at this, but I certainly want to hear the full sound of my files, and at first I was even considering buying a Hi-Res walkman but since those do not have WiFi capability (I currently use my seagate central on my wifi to hear the flacs with the C5 streaming app, and it does play the FLACs) so that's why I'm researching alternatives to actually get the full sound of the FLAC file from my iphone.

Any comments on this would be very much appreciated, and also suggestions as to how to take advantage of the sound with my iphone and to actually hear the full sound with my Z5s.

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #27 of 33
Hi, since I'm very new to the audiophile grade sound world, I've been listening to music for the past couple of years using my XBA-4's, now I've purchased the XBA-Z5, and I'm starting to amass a collection of Hi-Res Flac audio (24/44 or 24/96). I've read that natively, the headphone jack on an iphone by itself can't output the full 24/44 or 96, so, in order to get the full listening experience, do I need an external DAC? I've read on other sites that the iphone SE (the one I have) has a decent DAC, but the full sound won't come out directly from the jack, and that I'd need to plug the jack through a DAC that connects to the lightning connector, I'm guessing this is true?

I'm sorry once again, I'm pretty new at this, but I certainly want to hear the full sound of my files, and at first I was even considering buying a Hi-Res walkman but since those do not have WiFi capability (I currently use my seagate central on my wifi to hear the flacs with the C5 streaming app, and it does play the FLACs) so that's why I'm researching alternatives to actually get the full sound of the FLAC file from my iphone.

Any comments on this would be very much appreciated, and also suggestions as to how to take advantage of the sound with my iphone and to actually hear the full sound with my Z5s.

Hey there, you are absolutely correct, you will need an external DAC to get bit perfect hi Res output from your iPhone. There are many DACs that can handle these files, I use the chord mojo which is a popular and great sounding little portable box. You will need a lightning to USB connector which Apple sells at exorbitant prices! You also need a software player other than iTunes (which doesn't handle FLAC). I use onkyo high Res player.

Hope that helps!

Sep 9, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #28 of 33
Hey there, you are absolutely correct, you will need an external DAC to get bit perfect hi Res output from your iPhone. There are many DACs that can handle these files, I use the chord mojo which is a popular and great sounding little portable box. You will need a lightning to USB connector which Apple sells at exorbitant prices! You also need a software player other than iTunes (which doesn't handle FLAC). I use onkyo high Res player.

Hope that helps!
I've been researching DAC's that are highly regarded in reviews, so far I've researched Fiio i1, but it seems that DAC is limited to 48Khz, and also I've read very good review of either the AudioQuest Dragonfly red (which I like for the price but do not like since it is a USB and I'd need a lightning to USB adapter which is to me too much hassle) and the other one is the OPPO HA-2 SE that one I really liked since it's lightning native but it's pricey.

Do you know of an affordable version that is lightning native and highly regarded in reviews?

Sep 9, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #29 of 33

Hey there. I've been at this for many years and I'm not 100% convinced hi rez files are the way to go. You can get the same amazing sound quality from Spotify Premium and a mix of premium audio equipment plugged into your iPhone SE lightning port or via its headphone jack. Spotify Premium provides the source (music variety) and you fine tune sound quality by going with great equipment for home, office and travel. At home I connect my iPhone SE via lightening connector into an Oppo HA1 DAC and Beyerdynamics T1 2nd Gen open headphones. On the road I prefer travelling lighter and will just plug into the iPhone SE's headphone jack (SE already has a great standalone DAC) with a vintage pair of monster turbine gold IEM's or Beyerdnamics T51i headphones. I like Beyerdynamics Tesla headphones. Thanks, Victor

Sep 9, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #30 of 33
Hey there. I've been at this for many years and I'm not 100% convinced hi rez files are the way to go. You can get the same amazing sound quality from Spotify Premium and a mix of premium audio equipment plugged into your iPhone SE lightning port or via its headphone jack. Spotify Premium provides the source (music variety) and you fine tune sound quality by going with great equipment for home, office and travel. At home I connect my iPhone SE via lightening connector into an Oppo HA1 DAC and Beyerdynamics T1 2nd Gen open headphones. On the road I prefer travelling lighter and will just plug into the iPhone SE's headphone jack (SE already has a great standalone DAC) with a vintage pair of monster turbine gold IEM's or Beyerdnamics T51i headphones. I like Beyerdynamics Tesla headphones. Thanks, Victor
Thank you for your input, let's see how this all works when I finally get my z5s and the Ha2se, I've been downloading hi res sources and been storing them in my NAS, that way I don't have to load the heavy tracks on my phone.

I'll post a reply after making some tests with the Z5s directly to the iphone jack vs the DAC jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back