Intona High Speed USB Isolator
Apr 13, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #286 of 323
10 minutes in...Oh my very nice and I wasn't expecting much. More bass, crisper notes. The LSD effect..hearing things that weren't there before...
This is on a silly centipede of decrapifiers ending in the Intona.
Better wider longer than battery.
There's a sentence every man would be proud of..My wife however..
Give the Caps some time to settle over a few days and have some serious listening but as of now very happy.
LPS-1 Uptone 5v replacement power.
Cheers
Dave

Apr 20, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #288 of 323
  I am selling my Intona (here) and will try some other fancy new USB products.  I've been thoroughly impressed with the Intona - I wrote a review on it.  But this is Head-Fi and the primary activity of this hobby seems to be making increasingly larger purchases that chase smaller and smaller benefits.  So I'm off to the next wonder-gizmo.

I sold my Intona and I have to tell you; I miss it!
I feel like the wide soundstage I once enjoyed has shrunk.  There is less air and separation.  
confused_face.gif

The Intona really does make a significant difference.  I didn't think I would miss it as much as I do.  

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #289 of 323
iam going to keep mine until I get the ISO regen. To combine or remove.
I know what you mean about getting OTT with different devices. Mutec Rednet ect.
Nothing yet that gives us everything.
But the LPS1 made the Intona shine.
No free lunch on cost..not with this hobby.But better all the same.
Sound advice though Tbone.. more isn't always better.

Goodluck Dave :blush:

Apr 20, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #290 of 323
iam going to keep mine until I get the ISO regen. To combine or remove.
I know what you mean about getting OTT with different devices. Mutec Rednet ect.
Nothing yet that gives us everything.
But the LPS1 made the Intona shine.
No free lunch on cost..not with this hobby.But better all the same.
Sound advice though Tbone.. more isn't always better.

Goodluck Dave :blush:

Why would you combine? The Intona only isolates and the ISO Regen does that better and does more!

Apr 20, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #291 of 323
it reclocks as well via the two Spartans. Cleaning up into the ISO isn't a bad thing. You know people will have double lps1's on the same Iso even though John says it won't matter.
IF the intona adds anything pre ISO it can stay.
Some have double mutec's in series and like it. Some like my crazy experiments snaking devices add nothing or take some 'freshness' out.
I have no idea what will happen or suggest people rush out and buy an extra intona. I buy for fun and community knowledge.. I will try both together and see what happens:blush:. I know others will.. But T-bones point is well made and like you John's ISO may be more than enough..

I got the LPS1 for the ISO. But a 5v hack bypass jumped the Intona to another level of detail showing power makes a difference. 15% better in my scale of simple thinking.
Power into my AMP DAC made a difference....
balanced isolation transformer. sinewave generator 12V LPS... USB with the Lps1. . But it adds up and starts again into diminishing returns.
I think I could have a full Schitt rig but even they with endgame rigs still push for that bit more.

The playing with items at my personal expense within reason is half the fun.
Better to wait for a general consensus before spending like me.

Sorry to go on...just tired and stressed...:blush: ignore me..

NN all
Dave

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #292 of 323
Hey guys, how does this compare with the Schiit Wyrd?

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #293 of 323

Honestly, it depends - first on how poor your source is, and second on what you are feeding into. I found the Wyrd to help when power was being consumed by the end product. The Meridian products were greatly helped by the Wyrd. But I also found the Chord Hugo to improve tremendously. It was no longer the brittle, bright DAC that people had suggested it could be. No longer owning a Hugo, I was still using the Wyrd for a Chord Mojo. Then I bought the Intona. Into the Mojo, which does not need the USB power (from Wyrd), I find the Intona to be better - period. And that is where it stays, as I'm listening to it right this moment.

Shortened - I find the Intona better. But there are applications where having a clean powered USB source can help, such as for Meridian. If however power feeding into your output device is basically going to be ignored, I find the Intona universally better.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:30 PM Post #294 of 323
  Honestly, it depends - first on how poor your source is, and second on what you are feeding into. I found the Wyrd to help when power was being consumed by the end product. The Meridian products were greatly helped by the Wyrd. But I also found the Chord Hugo to improve tremendously. It was no longer the brittle, bright DAC that people had suggested it could be. No longer owning a Hugo, I was still using the Wyrd for a Chord Mojo. Then I bought the Intona. Into the Mojo, which does not need the USB power (from Wyrd), I find the Intona to be better - period. And that is where it stays, as I'm listening to it right this moment.

Shortened - I find the Intona better. But there are applications where having a clean powered USB source can help, such as for Meridian. If however power feeding into your output device is basically going to be ignored, I find the Intona universally better.

Interesting.

I'm using a Nuforce DAC-80 which has its own power supply, plugged into a Lyr 2 amp. My source is my desktop PC which is quite new (i7 6700k, 32GB ram, SSD, 1080, etc.). I haven't noticed any noise or feedback issues in my audio experience with my setup. Nothing is being powered by USB in my chain.

Could this product still be of benefit to me?

Apr 23, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #296 of 323
  Interesting.

I'm using a Nuforce DAC-80 which has its own power supply, plugged into a Lyr 2 amp. My source is my desktop PC which is quite new (i7 6700k, 32GB ram, SSD, 1080, etc.). I haven't noticed any noise or feedback issues in my audio experience with my setup. Nothing is being powered by USB in my chain.

Could this product still be of benefit to me?

Did a recent comparison of a number of USB cleanup products. One of the guys who participated has a very clean home computer. When he went home and started to listen for the same issues, which he could clearly hear from my test 2008 laptop, he heard no such problems on his home system - promptly removed the Wyrd from his system, as it seemed unnecessary.

It is really one of those things that is hard to tell. I found out when I plugged a DAC into another computer I had, and heard the noise drop dramatically. If you have another computer, or a friend with a different setup than you, perhaps you can hear the deltas. But I'd not advise to just purchase in the blind, unless you know you have issues to be fixed.

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #297 of 323
Understood. Thanks, guys!

Apr 24, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #299 of 323

I'll second the other replies posted here.
I had the Schiit Wyrd and it did nothing my Holo Spring DAC.  The Intona made a significant difference in my system and was well worth the $$$.

I sold my Intona with plans to order the new Uptone ISO Regen when they become available.  It's difference is sorely missed!  It's going to be a long couple of weeks until I get a USB "decrapifier" back in my chain.  

*EDIT*
While writing this post, I recalled that had a Holo "Titanis" kicking around the office.  While it's no Intona, it will hold me over till the ISO Regen's start shipping.  
cool.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #300 of 323
Hello,

Can anyone provide me some assistance with my new Intona Industrial Edition (Black) please? My setup is as follows:

Desktop PC --- LH Labs LightSpeed 1G 1.0M ---> Intona Industrial --- LH Labs LightSpeed 1G 1.0M ---> Schiit Gungnir USB

The problem I am experiencing is that I cannot establish any sort of connection with the Intona. When connected to the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports of my desktop or laptop, Windows 10 immediately reports the device as "unrecognized." Both machines are running the latest Windows 10 "creators" update.

The USB 3.1 ports on my desktop seem like they are going to work, because I can hear the Gungnir's relay switching on and off, but then a solid connection is never established and the Intona goes into "suspend" mode. Are my USB cables the problem? 2.0M is the shortest amount of cable I can have between my PC and the Gungnir. Is 2.0M of cable just too much? Or is there something else at play here?

EDIT: I grabbed a completely random printer cable from storage and discovered something interesting. I will illustrate:

Desktop PC --- Random Printer Cable ---> Intona Industrial --- LH Labs LightSpeed 1G 1.0M ---> Schiit Gungnir USB [THIS DID NOT WORK]

Desktop PC --- LH Labs LightSpeed 1G 1.0M ---> Intona Industrial --- Random Printer Cable ---> Schiit Gungnir USB [THIS DID WORK]

I confirmed that neither of the LH Labs cables are faulty as well, so it must be something weird about the LH labs cables that prevents them from working properly between the Intona and the DAC. In that case, does anyone have any quality USB cables that they recommend for using along with the Intona?

Thanks!

- InsanityOne 
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back