IEM vs Earbuds
Apr 2, 2011 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

aurnob88

100+ Head-Fier
For a comparative budget, ie <$100, are earbuds better.

Apr 2, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 7
I haven't tried any earbuds over $30, but I think it's safe to say that the many good sub-$100 canalphone offerings could probably best their earbud counterparts.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 7
The one thing that really bugs me is how earbuds seem to always get an unfair assessment when compared to canalphones/IEMs.  Earbuds are open earphones, and any comparison between them and IEMs should be analogous to the comparison between open-air and closed headphones.  Just as open and closed headphones each have their own advantages and disadvantages, so too do "open earphones" (ie earbuds) and "closed earphones" (canalphones and IEMs).  It is up to the listener to determine which is better suited for his/her usage and listening habits.

For the sake of disclosure, I'm a pretty big fan of earbuds.  While I understand that earbuds have their issues, particularly lack of isolation (naturally) and fit (which certain products of certain manufacturers have yet to address), I actually find that my ears prefer the way earbuds sound.  For example, when considering the TripleFi and Creative Aurvana Air (the former I purchased for $99, the latter for less, and both were originally priced much higher), I simply am more inclined to choose the Air as it better fits my sonic preferences.  That said, you won't ever see me using them on a trans-Pacific plane flight.
wink.gif

My suggestion is, if possible, try some of the many IEMs and earbuds under $100 and try to come up with your own conclusion.  I've personally found that my quest for the "best" sound is far more fulfilling and enjoyable when I try to trust my own ears.

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 7
Simple answer to the OP is No.  The choice between earbuds vs. IEMs probably comes down to the need (or non-need) for isolation from your environment.  I've used Sennheiser MX-660 and now MX-760 earbuds for 5+ years, mainly at home when I need to not be completely isolated from my environment.  The MX-760 is an excellent earbud that many people would be satisfied with as an earbud.  Yuin and Sunrise both make several high quality earbuds models, as well as Senn and Audio Technica.

Earbuds have a harder challenge to produce a high quality sound because the sound is not being forced into the ear canal, like an IEM.  OTOH, it is easier to hear and judge the quality of an IEM for the same reason, because all other sounds are blocked out.  Cheap IEMs reveal themselves quite quickly, and so do audiophile level IEMs.

Apr 2, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 7
I also agree with the 'no'.

I have both MX-880 and RE-ZERO, and IMO the 880s are both cheaper and better overall (although they can't do certain things the ZEROs do).

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #7 of 7
From what I've come to believe, iems have greater potential for audio quality due to reasons that have been stated above. By quality I mean an extended, even frequency response, low distortion and resonances and controlled bass. Thus, the disparity generally widens as the price increases as well (I repeat, generally :p). I have heard crappy iems and earbuds at various price points; if they are bad, they're bad. That cannot be helped. However, there are some dirt-cheap earbuds which still sound really agreeable, that is a fun and engaging sound, albeit inaccurate and with artefacts. They do have pluses as well- being open sounding at the expense of isolation, and imaging tends to be at least acceptable for the price. Their sound can easily be altered with the thickness and type of covering foam used- the effect is usually more drastic than that encountered in tip rolling in iems. Some of those with plastic builds have the additional interesting effect of vibrating at higher volumes when bass is being played, which affects the perceived bass response. Furthermore, cheap earbuds appeal to those who like an old school vibe and others who experience stress about their daily drivers being stolen or damaged. For myself, I enjoy the cleaner and more accurate sounding iems (and headphones), but have an uber-budget beater earbud to rock out from time to time :)
Positives of earbuds:
- Available crazy cheap (few iems are comparable at the pricing of the cheapest)
- Fun, carefree, forgiving nature of sound
- Open sound
- Easily configured (foam covers to reduce treble and increase bass and vice versa)
- Old school vibes

Potentially positive or negative:
- Some housings experience vibration
- Different form factor and fit
- Isolation=Absolute Zero (jk: not really, but close enough :p)

Negatives:
- Not for accurate sound
- Thus also not for "highest quality" sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back