iDSD micro Black Label. Tour details (page 147). Release info (page 153).
Jun 13, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #3,046 of 4,252
It is generally best to not let a battery discharge to absolute discharge with the new technology, but I use iDSD BL portable as much as I use it as my desktop DAC/AMP, I just fully charge it once 3-4 days to make sure that it is always in good condition.

I might want to do that too. Mine is mainly for desktop use so I always power it via USB. The battery stays full as a result, and never gets used. Perhaps I should turn it on before the comp. So it goes into battery mode often.

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #3,047 of 4,252
DSC00120.JPG

My epic combo : IDSD-BL + iPurifier2 + USB cable Forza twin copper + MrSpeakers Aeon - Forza Noir HPC cable....

Jun 15, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #3,049 of 4,252
Just wondering any of you rotate between using USB power and Battery power, just to keep the battery actively 'used'.

I'm coming from the old school thinking that batteries need to be adequately discharged then charged again to be 'healthy'. (Probably an archaic theory given how batteries have advanced these days)

Some older battery types, especially NiCad had significant memory effect and needed to be occasionally discharged to "flat as pancake" to restore capacity.

This is not necessary or beneficial for modern Lithium based batteries.

battery-icon_21212559.jpg

The Battery management system in the iDSD micro Black Label has been designed to optimise the battery either for portable use where you want maximum play time, or for "always on" desktop use (where you want to protect the battery from unnecessary aging).

To charge the iDSD micro (all generations) for portable use, charge with the iDSD turned off. This way the battery is charged to maximum capacity, however every charge cycle will reduce available capacity (partial charge cycles partially reduce capacity).

After 300-400 charge cycles the batter capacity will have dropped to around 70% of the original shipped capacity, which is usually around 1.2 higher than the rated capacity.

For desktop do not turn the iDSD micro off, unless you also turn off the source (PC etc). The iDSD micro will enter power saving for minimum power consumption by itself.

Now the battery is charged to around 80%, which at room temperature means the operation battery life is equal to shelf life (unused) of the battery, there is no accelerated aging due to persistent high charge state or frequent recharing.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #3,051 of 4,252
Some older battery types, especially NiCad had significant memory effect and needed to be occasionally discharged to "flat as pancake" to restore capacity.

The Battery management system in the iDSD micro Black Label has been designed to optimise the battery either for portable use where you want maximum play time, or for "always on" desktop use (where you want to protect the battery from unnecessary aging).

To charge the iDSD micro (all generations) for portable use, charge with the iDSD turned off. This way the battery is charged to maximum capacity, however every charge cycle will reduce available capacity (partial charge cycles partially reduce capacity).

After 300-400 charge cycles the batter capacity will have dropped to around 70% of the original shipped capacity, which is usually around 1.2 higher than the rated capacity.

For desktop do not turn the iDSD micro off, unless you also turn off the source (PC etc). The iDSD micro will enter power saving for minimum power consumption by itself.

Now the battery is charged to around 80%, which at room temperature means the operation battery life is equal to shelf life (unused) of the battery, there is no accelerated aging due to persistent high charge state or frequent recharing.

Great job!

This is really well thought - I wasn't aware before that there is an //always-on protection integrated in iDSD BL.

I was just enjoying iDSD BL with Dunu DK-3001, the difference adding iDSD BL makes is huge, the soundstage is considerably larger, instrument layering and separation is much higher with iDSD BL than with a typical source, and the whole sound is just lovely.

I made a few experiments where I fast switched between iDSD BL and other sources and the difference is immediate, even volume matched, iDSD is incredible in its sound.

Those are just a few observations. I am really impressed by the resolving properties and sound quality of Dunu DK-3001 and iDSD makes things only better!

Jun 15, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #3,052 of 4,252

Thank you for chiming in. Always a pleasure to learn direct from the designers themselves.

I use the BL for my desktop all day so that "always on" feature is perfect. I turn off my comp every night, so I guess that's only how often I would turn off the BL. Hope that should keep the battery in good state.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #3,053 of 4,252
I have demoed a couple of these amp/dacs and they sound good but why you make it so difficult to use them on the go? I really like the Black but wow the connection from the phone to the dac requires a big adaptor instead of a tiny otg cable the way on the other end it doesnt take SE 3.5 ? Plus its not flat and its longer than my phone.

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #3,054 of 4,252
I have demoed a couple of these amp/dacs and they sound good but why you make it so difficult to use them on the go? I really like the Black but wow the connection from the phone to the dac requires a big adaptor instead of a tiny otg cable the way on the other end it doesnt take SE 3.5 ? Plus its not flat and its longer than my phone.

It works perfectly with the most basic OTG I had lying around as for the shape and size, it stacks perfectly for me. This is what I carry while on-the-go right now. As you can notice, the stack is idea for me, both size and shape wise - although I will start testing iDSD BL with other DAPs and report on how it stacks with something else rather than FiiO X5ii

6UbudWH.jpg

tozqm2q.jpg

2Km2uNM.jpg

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #3,055 of 4,252
It works perfectly with the most basic OTG I had lying around as for the shape and size, it stacks perfectly for me. This is what I carry while on-the-go right now. As you can notice, the stack is idea for me, both size and shape wise - although I will start testing iDSD BL with other DAPs and report on how it stacks with something else rather than FiiO X5ii

6UbudWH.jpg

tozqm2q.jpg

2Km2uNM.jpg
You connecting it by coaxl ?

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #3,056 of 4,252
You connecting it by coaxl ?

To X5ii by 3.5mm, using iDSD BL as an AMP for the moment, waiting to get an angled coaux cable so I can use it freely with coaux while on the go. The AMP in iDSD BL is one of the best out there, the DAC makes things even better, but you require the right cables.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #3,057 of 4,252
To X5ii by 3.5mm, using iDSD BL as an AMP for the moment, waiting to get an angled coaux cable so I can use it freely with coaux while on the go. The AMP in iDSD BL is one of the best out there, the DAC makes things even better, but you require the right cables.
I demoed the idsd bl with my phone. It requires a big rectangle connector which is on the opposite end of where I put the headphone. My goal is for portable use. I too have a X5III but I have a thin tiny amp on it.

Jun 19, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #3,058 of 4,252
Can the AK100II connect to the idsd bl ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back