iCAN Amp Review: A New Amp that Gives You More: More Bass, More Soundstage and More Detail
Jan 20, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #631 of 658
Hi Guys,

I have been using my iFi iCAN Micro SE for a couple weeks now. I have a problem, and I have no clue how to solve it, as I can't figure out which component is causing the problem. I THINK it is my computer, but I'm not sure. I am feeding the iCAN with a Chord Mojo, and when it was plugged in via USB to my Macbook Pro there was a very loud buzz/hum from 8 o'clock to 10'oclock on the volume knob. I then began connecting the Mojo to my Macbook Pro via Optical, and the buzz/hum went away. All is fine, or so I thought.

Now, I am getting electrical shocks when I touch the case of the iCAN, shocks when I touch the Mojo, and shocks from the Metal connectors on my headphones, when the headphones are plugged into the iFi. Also, if I plug the Mojo in via USB, you can see little sparks at the usb port as you plug it in, which makes me THINK it is my Macbook Pro that is the problem. This all happens whether or not the Macbook Pro is plugged in, or not plugged in, it makes no difference. The Mojo is battery powered, so I'm guessing it is not the Mojo, but I'm not sure. 

I am going to cross post this in a couple threads, as I have no clue which component is causing the problem, and I don't want to fry my gear. Any help would be appreciated, I'm not an electrical engineer, and I'm so confused as to what is going on. 

Note: The Macbook Pro, when plugged in, is using a 3 prong magsafe adapter. The iFi is plugged in via a 3 prong iPOWER. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #632 of 658
  Hi Guys,

I have been using my iFi iCAN Micro SE for a couple weeks now. I have a problem, and I have no clue how to solve it, as I can't figure out which component is causing the problem. I THINK it is my computer, but I'm not sure. I am feeding the iCAN with a Chord Mojo, and when it was plugged in via USB to my Macbook Pro there was a very loud buzz/hum from 8 o'clock to 10'oclock on the volume knob. I then began connecting the Mojo to my Macbook Pro via Optical, and the buzz/hum went away. All is fine, or so I thought.

Now, I am getting electrical shocks when I touch the case of the iCAN, shocks when I touch the Mojo, and shocks from the Metal connectors on my headphones, when the headphones are plugged into the iFi. Also, if I plug the Mojo in via USB, you can see little sparks at the usb port as you plug it in, which makes me THINK it is my Macbook Pro that is the problem. This all happens whether or not the Macbook Pro is plugged in, or not plugged in, it makes no difference. The Mojo is battery powered, so I'm guessing it is not the Mojo, but I'm not sure. 

I am going to cross post this in a couple threads, as I have no clue which component is causing the problem, and I don't want to fry my gear. Any help would be appreciated, I'm not an electrical engineer, and I'm so confused as to what is going on. 

Note: The Macbook Pro, when plugged in, is using a 3 prong magsafe adapter. The iFi is plugged in via a 3 prong iPOWER. 

That's a missing earth case right there.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 2, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #633 of 658
I'm finally getting back into enjoying my SE. First power supply failed and was replaced by the retailer without a fuss (although they said I was the first person who it had happened to-don't believe that for a second!!).

Inevitably the replacement failed also so I just binned that and am currently using a suitably terminated 12V laptop style supply which works brilliantly. No noticeable difference in sound at all.

Shame the 15v supplies keep failing but I'm happy with my fix.

I fell in love with the ifi sound with this normal iCan Micro and the SE is the same but more so. I also have the iDac 2 and iUSB 3 and the combination is outstanding.

Just running in a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2's and they sound sublime :).

Seriously tempted by an iCan Pro-will have to see how the budget looks on a couple of months.

Feb 5, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #634 of 658
iCAN on my desk

Feb 12, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #635 of 658
Following on from my post above-top marks to ifi-they got straight in touch and sent me a replacement power supply. No fuss and really want expecting it!

Does it make a difference? In a word yes, a big one. With the ifi unit everything is more open with greater separation between the layers of music, the background is darker and there is more control.

I didn't think there'd be much in it but the step up in SQ is immediate and obvious.

Feb 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #636 of 658
I'm finally getting back into enjoying my SE. First power supply failed and was replaced by the retailer without a fuss (although they said I was the first person who it had happened to-don't believe that for a second!!).

Inevitably the replacement failed also so I just binned that and am currently using a suitably terminated 12V laptop style supply which works brilliantly. No noticeable difference in sound at all.

Shame the 15v supplies keep failing but I'm happy with my fix.

I fell in love with the ifi sound with this normal iCan Micro and the SE is the same but more so. I also have the iDac 2 and iUSB 3 and the combination is outstanding.

Just running in a pair of Beyerdynamic T1 gen 2's and they sound sublime :).

Seriously tempted by an iCan Pro-will have to see how the budget looks on a couple of months.

The problem is that IFI keeps replacing the power supply with the same faulty design. Maybe an issue with distributors.
The original faulty design was 15v at 1.5 amp. This is no good and they overheat and die.
After two replacements I finally got the right one which is 15v at 1.2 amps. It's worked for over 8 months.

So...If you get a replacement that is still 1.5amp then you will undoubtedly have the same issue.

If IFI had admitted this problem then distributors could properly check that they aren't just sending out another crappy ipower.
I think this situation would have gone smoother if IFI had acknowledged that the amp draw was too high instead of the pretend "too much silicone issue". Then vendors and suppliers could read the rating sticker on the ipower and make sure it is 1.2 amps.

P.s. I still have one of the original faulty ipowers so I know this to be true

Apr 11, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #638 of 658
I`m using the ICan v2 since one week and I am really pleased
Actually they bring live, sparkle and punch to a 18 year old AKG K401 - wow!!
Rarely I use the bass extension on dot 1 - the 401s has a nice bottom end 

Amazing amp this little beauty - still not burned in (if the 400h + is the mark :wink:  100hours ++ now and no idea what can be better at the moment
As I am from Vienna/Austria and my likes tends to more dry and crystal open space sound I ordered a AKG K702 - I couldnt resist to a street price of 158 € - think this cans will suit well too. 

After some days burn in and listening now with my new AKG K702 via the IFI Ican micro (non SE) I can highly recommend this pairing - simply wonderful!

May 22, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #639 of 658
NEED HELP! okay im trying to find to pair my iDSD BL with iCan for a warmer sound to be paired with my HD800. SA or SE? any reasons for the choice? THANKS!

May 23, 2017 at 10:51 AM Post #640 of 658
Stupide question, probably. But as a desktop amp, Will this be able to run speakers as well?

I Just bought the schiit MM2 Uber stack for this though, but i am still interested in a second hand ican ofi can find one.

May 28, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #642 of 658
guys, any idea to reduce the background noise of this amp?

May 28, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #643 of 658
the noise is still there even with a song played

May 28, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #645 of 658

Users who are viewing this thread

Back