iBasso PB-2 Pelican fully balanced portable, DB-2 Dac . . HiFlight recommended op amps page 16. .
May 20, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #1,457 of 1,604
If you have issues with all the op amps you try then most likely there is something wrong with the PB2. I would suggest contacting us for an RMA number to have the PB2 serviced.
Already did that Paul, actually your the one that issued the RMA after an email, but thank you for the response...

Jun 14, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #1,458 of 1,604
Installed some Wima caps on spare 8 pin sockets. Plugged them in with the Muses02 for that extra Umami in sound. Sounds nicer after a few hours of burn in. I think I'm done with this amp for a while.

20170614_095023.jpg

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #1,459 of 1,604
Do you have an overhead photo of the WIMA inserts and could you explain the effect they have on SQ ?

Jun 15, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #1,460 of 1,604
Do you have an overhead photo of the WIMA inserts and could you explain the effect they have on SQ ?

I don't have an overhead shot. I already closed up the unit. But's it's basically just soldering the cap between the positive and negative poles of where the Opamp plugs into. Been using these caps since installing Burson's opamps in my desktop amps. I'm also using it in my Fiio E12A and Fiio DIY E12.
It basically cleans up the power signal. And you can actually hear the difference. After a few hours of playing music, you will hear a nice "cleaner" signal. It's worth the effort.

Jun 18, 2017 at 11:36 PM Post #1,462 of 1,604
My PB2 went into distortion for no apparent reason while listening at low volume. Thought it was my player at first, but omitted that quickly. Swapped in a different set of buffers and opamps and same thing. Gonna take the board out and see if I can troubleshoot it.

Jun 19, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #1,463 of 1,604
I thought of sharing this info here as this is my favorite thread and basically all my portable setup is build around PB2 :)

Recently I tried this new red toy - Burson Audio Cable+ Pro with integrated discrete OpAmp inside. I'm yet to do a lot more auditioning but even now the results are very promising in either of the two worlds:
  1. portable use (just like in the picture below)...but my wild guess is the results may vary depending on the opamp combination inside and jumper settings. I'm yet to play with it more.
  2. for use with full size audio system by connecting a portable source to an amplifier and, my, this baby rocks through home stereo
9934133_l.jpg

There is Burson V5 discrete OpAmp inside the cable, hence one needs to ensure external power fed into it.

I used other than my Energizer battery to power the cable due to Energizer shortcomings and me being unable to properly power up two devices (PB2 and the cable) from the same battery at the same time. So I had to snatch my wife's USB power bank making everything an independent transportable audio pack which I've been using for years.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #1,465 of 1,604
Welp sadly, I heard back from iBasso today and apparently

We are unable to repair the PB2. I am sorry about this. It seems that the PCB traces were damaged and someone modified it.

so :/ I really can't argue with them at this point. I did purchase mine used around 3 years ago in January of 2014, for a $250 amp I guess I can't complain that it only lasted 3 years

Non the less, I have two adapters if any one would like to purchase them. I've got a single 4pin XLR to hiRose 6pin in addition to a dual 4pin XLR to Hirose 6pin! Back when I had my W1000X and my LA D2k I used to run them both off the balanced output of my PB2, made them sing effortlessly. I have no idea what the build on the single Cable is but, the Dual 4pin XLR to HiRose is some form of OCC Copper, braid pair and clear coated

Shoot me a PM if you'd like them! I don't think I'll be purchasing another PB2, the Pico Power I got has been working wonderfully for my SE needs, and I don't intend to drive my HE 4 balanced on the go any time soon. Plus I got a nice trade for a GeekOut v2+, still I'd like to keep the cables in the PB2 family is it were, so I'm really only looking to get like $35 a piece for them or $60 for both

An I guess, it goes without saying when I get the amp back it'll be up for grabs, though I'm not sure what a defective PB2 is worth! Maybe one of you brave souls would like a stab at rebuilding it lol,

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #1,466 of 1,604
I recently got the opportunity to try out the Burson V5i opamps in my Ibasso PB2. I popped out the LME49720HA dual opamps (my favorites in the PB2) and installed the Bursons. These opamps impressed me right from the get go.
The first thing that I noticed was the bass or should I say sub bass. I am hearing more bass (not bloated) with these opamp than I have heard with any other opamp, if there is no bass in the music you will not hear any but if it is present boy will you hear it!. The separation is better than with the LME49720HA, providing a nice 3 dimensional soundstage. There are also more details coming through in the music.
My source is a DIY imod Ipod 5G. I mostly listen with my modded FostexT50RP headphones I listened to mostly classic rock, some Jazz and Diana Krall.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Burson V5i for use in the Ibasso PB2.
Burson.JPG
Burson2.JPG

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2017 at 2:17 AM Post #1,468 of 1,604
The good old PB2 thread...how I miss thee.

PB2 still going strong. No urge to buy new.
I think with the right opamp and buffer it would still give the Vorzuge line a run for its money.

Sep 19, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,469 of 1,604
Hi Folks,

should anyone be interested in a mint PB2 with box, accessories, charger (EU-220V), opamps, etc. can shoot me a PM. Not really using mine so it's a pity having it stored (with silica gel bags) not receiving the use it deserves.

I'm based in Spain.

Cheers.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,470 of 1,604
Hey guys,

I have some questions,

I haven't used my pb2 for more than a year, i had it kept in its box, while the top cap is unscrewed.

Now i took it out, tried to screw the top cap but couldn't get it to fit, it seems that the battery had some swelling and grew abit in size ..

Did it occur to anyone ?

Also, i didnt try to charge it or use it ? The battery is covered in blue plastic, what kind of battery should i get to replace it, anybody can send me a link to replacement battery ?

I sent ibasso about 3 days ago but got no answer still, so i thought of asking here ..

Thanks !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back