How easy would it be to desolder some of the chips in my old Macbook and then re-solder them?
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello everyone, I've been wanting to learn how to solder for years now and this fall, I am going to begin working towards a degree in electronics. I have a Macbook Pro that is a few years old and has quit working (If I'm remembering correctly, it is a 2011 model). I haven't gotten around to recycling it, so I've been hanging on to it for maybe a year. Would it be too difficult for a newbie to take apart the computer, remove the hard drive, smash it to bits, and then desolder and re-solder electrical components from within the computer for practice with soldering? I would consult the video tutorial series on tangentsoft.net while I am doing this. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Oct 9, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 5
Remove major components, re-cycle or sell the working ones (display, keyboard, touchpad). If you want to practise desoldering, it might be quite an exercise there (smd stuff is not easy, especially the microscopic size used in computers these days)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back