High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
May 13, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #766 of 4,183
May 14, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #767 of 4,183
I've only bought two cables... the ALO Ref 8 and the Impact Audio Copper cable. Even with this extremely narrow experience I am confounded as to how people can say that cables don't make a difference... both good in their own rights but the change in tonality is drastic. Granted, a few things are in play, such as me using the Vega which is source-sensitive, but those who say cables don't matter are just flat out wrong. It's not subjective. Even non-audiophile friends have heard a clear difference. Which again sucks for my wallet :/

Last edited:
May 14, 2017 at 11:03 PM Post #768 of 4,183
for me i need to know which one is the most reliable company that will stand behind their customer in case the connectors cut out, and not leave me standing there with no support or step up to their responsibility, as what bugged me bout yy pro audio they did not even consider the cut out issue at all

Companies with good representation in HeadFi are Effect Audio and PlusSound. I've bought from both and recommend their service and quick response. Toxic cables also has an active thread here but I've never tried their stuff.

I've had the SE846 before. Used to pair it with the Headphone Lounge Silver Litz Reference. Ted (the boss) is very responsive through email. The silver cable brings some sound improvements to the 846, mainly a faster attack and more prominent treble. It's one of the recommended cables in the 846 thread (which I stopped following last year). Good luck.

May 15, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #769 of 4,183
Companies with good representation in HeadFi are Effect Audio and PlusSound. I've bought from both and recommend their service and quick response. Toxic cables also has an active thread here but I've never tried their stuff.

Thanks for the shoutout buddy \m/

Effect Audio Stay updated on Effect Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/effectaudiosg/ https://twitter.com/EffectAudio https://www.instagram.com/effectaudio/ http://www.effectaudio.com/ https://wa.me/message/A64BKXQECHD4E1 info@effectaudio.com
May 16, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #770 of 4,183
Hi guys, i need some advice as to what cable to purchase. I am on shure 846se and sony zx2 setup. I prefe huge soundstage. Assuming budget is not a concern, what the best cable i can get for this setup?

May 16, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #771 of 4,183
does anyone know from where to buy quality bulk cables as I have a friend who wants to venture into cable making

May 16, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #772 of 4,183
Hi guys, i need some advice as to what cable to purchase. I am on shure 846se and sony zx2 setup. I prefe huge soundstage. Assuming budget is not a concern, what the best cable i can get for this setup?
Something like the flagships from effect audio, pw audio and han sound audio would be a good choice. Head over to music sanctuary's website to see them, all mostly above 1000sgd. Pw audio's 4wire 1960s is a favorite of many

May 16, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #773 of 4,183
Hi All, I have recently purchased an ALO Reference 8 cable as an upgrade to the stock Epic cable on my Westone UM Pro50 IEMs. While I'm enjoying the sonic upgrade of the ALO cable, I am noticing increased microphonics compared to the Epic cable. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or does anyone have any useful tips on how to keep the microphonics to a minimum?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Dan

May 16, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #774 of 4,183
Hi All, I have recently purchased an ALO Reference 8 cable as an upgrade to the stock Epic cable on my Westone UM Pro50 IEMs. While I'm enjoying the sonic upgrade of the ALO cable, I am noticing increased microphonics compared to the Epic cable. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Or does anyone have any useful tips on how to keep the microphonics to a minimum?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Dan

That's common with ALO cables. Love Ref8 (have it stock on W80 and also got 2pin balanced to use with U12), but I suspect the material of tight shielding adds to microphonics as well as memory effect of the wire. But they do sound great! What I would recommend, get one of those cable shirt clips, it will prevent cable from rubbing against your clothe as you move around.

May 17, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #776 of 4,183
I recently created my first review :D

Thank you Nic, for giving me this wonderful advice earlier. Without them, it would've made my writing less accurate and more difficult :)

It is quite a useful advice, please allow me to share.
Well the same principles apply as when it comes to daps or iems. You can see the effect of cables as like covering a plastic sheet with a see through plastic sheet in a different color. You mix the different colors to create a new one. But the effects of cables are more subtle.

When I first started to listen to cables, I would just listen for a whole day or maybe two to a cable. Or maybe even a week, or two weeks. Don't try to analyze very analytically, just try to enjoy your music like usual, and listen to different types of music. And don't compare directly to the other cable, just try to get a feel of how the cable sounds. Then after a while when you are accustomed to the cable, switch to the other cable and play different music again. Often, some songs that you previously liked don't sound as good, but others might sound better with the other combo. Or one cable just generally sounds better. Then try to figure out what makes it sound better, is it because the sounds is warmer, more emotional? Then its possible there is more bass. Or is it because there is more detail in the music, more clarity? Then it might be more treble. In the beginning, just look for these large differences and see it as a puzzle. Don't put pressure on yourself to hear a difference instantly. It used to take me weeks to figure out a cable, and sometimes it still takes a while. But you break it down piece by piece.

If you would like to try a more analytical perspective, it is good to start with the bass. If a bass is more controlled, the stage will sound cleaner. It can also make the sound warmer or fuller, or on the other hand, less warm or leaner. So if a sound is cleaner, it is possible there is either more treble or less bass. Especially if the note size is smaller, the sound can be cleaner. This will happen if there is less bass for instance. But this is more advanced maybe, just start with the first part, listening for a long time. Don't rush it and pressure yourself. Then try to think about large differences, and after that smaller differences.

Happy reading :)
https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/plussound-x8-iem-cable.21658/reviews#review-18595
9944754.jpg

Last edited:
May 17, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #777 of 4,183
May 23, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #778 of 4,183
Hi,
Did anyone listen to the Brise Audio UPG001Ref and the PW Audio 1960 4 wires? How do they compare?
Basically I am considering both for my Sony 1Z / Dita Dream pair, so comparison to the Dita Silver Truth cable also welcomed.
Cheers

May 28, 2017 at 6:00 AM Post #779 of 4,183
Hi,
I have the Dita Dream with Truth cable and would consider doing into the highway to hell: cable upgrades

The most likely content is the 1960 4 wires.
My understanding from comments would seem to imply that it would most likely just make everything better (although it might reduce the bass impact).

Or would it be better to start with a lesser cable that would actually change the signature/ tone? Maybe something brighter and more sparkly (silver ?)
Or would the 1960 be endgame and no other lesser cable would add anything to the music.

Cheers

May 28, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #780 of 4,183
Well every cable has its own properties and effect on the signature, including the 1960 4-wire. And just like iems, it depends on what kind of signature you prefer. That being said, 4-Wire is at the top of its game due its outstanding resolution and transparency. Regardless of signature, this will give it an advantage over most cables.

Also, the 4-Wire has a lift in the upper treble. It has a significant amount of sparkle, more than some silver cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back