Hifiman RE-800
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #109 of 262
Sound-wise, the RE800 is my favourite earphone of all time. It might miss a bit of the pulpy texture you get in JVC's FX series, but god does it meld mild warmth with crystal clarity perfectly. Gosh.

You must be a big fan of crystal clarity :wink: I still can't get used to that dominating 7k peak.

Jul 13, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #110 of 262
You must be a big fan of crystal clarity :wink: I still can't get used to that dominating 7k peak.

The peak in mine seems to have calmed down, or I've gotten used to it (more likely). What tips are you using, I went to comply, then back to wide bore single flange tips (some generic grey ones I have, but the Mandarines work well as you know)

Jul 13, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #111 of 262
Removable cables? That is indeed great to hear!

However, I am not convinced about the choice of MMCX connectors - for the small housings of the RE800, they don't seem like the best choice and might introduce reliability issues (due to the small size of the golden housings, grabbing the IEMs by the MMCX plug would be almost unavoidable).

In my opinion, threaded SSMMCX connectors, such as the ones that were used for the q-JAYS, would have been the better and more reliable choice.

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #112 of 262

However, I am not convinced about the choice of MMCX connectors - for the small housings of the RE800, they don't seem like the best choice and might introduce reliability issues (due to the small size of the golden housings, grabbing the IEMs by the MMCX plug would be almost unavoidable).

In my opinion, threaded SSMMCX connectors, such as the ones that were used for the q-JAYS, would have been the better and more reliable choice.

I agree they would have been a better choice, but that introduces an issue for aftermarket cables...

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #113 of 262
The peak in mine seems to have calmed down, or I've gotten used to it (more likely). What tips are you using, I went to comply, then back to wide bore single flange tips (some generic grey ones I have, but the Mandarines work well as you know)

using them with symbio/mandarines :) my ears are too sensitive to high frequencies...

Jul 13, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #114 of 262
using them with symbio/mandarines :) my ears are too sensitive to high frequencies...

The RE800 makes Encore sound laid-back and dark. :D

Jul 13, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #115 of 262
It doesn't bother me at all. In fact, I have a number of headphones without that peak that sound even more peaky.

Jul 13, 2017 at 9:52 PM Post #116 of 262
so finally it removable...and getting ugly:frowning2:

yeah that's a better idea

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #117 of 262
The RE800's biggest design flaw is also what makes it so comfy: it is so damn small, there is no way to remove it without yanking the cable. I have normal sized fingers. Actually, they are probably slender. My ears are smallish, and I can't remove the RE800 without pulling the cord. This can't be good in the long run.

Jul 14, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #118 of 262

The recent launch of the RE800 and the feedback that the community has given, as always, has been wonderful. You are the reason we all do what we do and when you speak, we listen. If you find a way to make our products better for your needs, they became our priorities. You told us that you thought the RE800 was a great sounding IEM and we all appreciated your recognition of the hard work that had gone into them. However, you did tell us, that while you loved their fit and how they sounded, you liked the cable it but you really wished it was removable like on the RE2000. We heard this too many times to ignore and so we have decided that when it comes to our “Gold Standard” IEM that we must follow the Golden Rule, the customer is always right.

Fang, our Glorious Leader, sat and pondered the question of what to do. With much time, deliberation and mulling over. Should we change, but production was already up and running? We chose the 2 Pin connector as we felt it the best option but it was simply too big for the itty-bitty housing of the RE800. That would mean a complete redesign but that would mean those countless hours and month of labour would have been for nothing. What to do??? The users want a replaceable cable but the 2 Pin was too big. A compromise would have to be made as you just couldn’t possibly squeeze that connector in there but how could he look in the eye all those who have toiled and sweated for so long to make the RE800 what it is? How could he tell them it was all for nothing?

Therefore, we are pleased to bring you the new, RE800 with a user replaceable cable. The new cable will attach using the widely used MMCX standard connection so from day one you will have a wide selection of third-party custom cable makers out there. It is a connecter that is durable and reliable yet small enough to fit the RE800. So, while we think the cable we use is the best one, for use with our DAP’s but you now have the freedom to select your own cable to best suit your own personal tastes. However, you can now select a cable to fine tune your audio along with your tip choice (we like the Triple Flange tips best) it’s your ears and your choice.

Any customers who have already purchased an RE800 and would like to have a removable cable model, not to worry. If you want to have your RE800 exchanged over we will be happy to do that for you. Just email our customer service team and we can get them swapped over for you at no additional cost.

The new RE800 with a removable cable will begin shipping shortly and may be in short supply for the first few weeks as we ramp production. Early orders will all ship directly from China and so may take a little longer than normal for customers in North America.

Nice.

The peak is audible to me as well, didn't really knew if it was at 7 kHz or slightly more, but I can hear it. We could also take into account that it enhances how much detail is perceived from music, making RE-800 very detailed, but for a mild treble heard it is an interesting experience.

Had no idea that something like that existed before. It would be an interesting feature, but as others have stated, it would lower the amount of aftermarket compatible cables.

Can't wait to hear Mandarines in person actually, they seem like a must for high end IEMs, at least judging from how well they have been received so far.

The RE800's biggest design flaw is also what makes it so comfy: it is so damn small, there is no way to remove it without yanking the cable. I have normal sized fingers. Actually, they are probably slender. My ears are smallish, and I can't remove the RE800 without pulling the cord. This can't be good in the long run.

Woah, I also need to gently touch the cable in the removal process, but didn't really mind it since they are quite easily removed form the ears. Even so, detacable cables are very good to have in any IEM out there.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:22 AM Post #119 of 262
Hi everyone,

I wrote my introduction in the thread for it under the forum section here. I've also written a brief post in the HiFiMan Re-2000 thread, and am carrying over here to the HiFiMan Re-800 thread. I recently purchased the Re-800 after seeing the audio frequency response graph of it displayed in the Re-2000 thread. The frequency response of the Re-800 is as close to my perfect ideal sound signature preference of any dynamic driver - based iem earphones I've seen online.

I've spent several hours researching this , looking at dozens of graphs. Now while there are some balanced armature driver - based iem earphones that get a bit closer to my perfect match in terms of frequency response, the few moving armature driver - based iem earphones I've listened too, just don't have enough fullness of an emotional quality to the sound I like. Therefore, I prefer dynamic driver - based iem earphones, despite that most tend to be further away from my ideal sound signature preference than balanced armature driver - based iem earphones.

My ideal sound signature preference can be described as this : There is a low first half of the sub-bass region being minimal, the second half of the sub-bass region being flat right through the mid-bass region and the high-bass region (flat and neutral bass). Then there is a 5dB upwards slope through the low-mids region, flattening out throughout the mid-mids region, then another 5dB upwards slope this time throughout the high-mids region, flattening out throughout the low-treble region right through the mid-treble region, then showing some downwards and upwards peaks throughout the high-treble region. I'll post an audio frequency response graph a designer recently created for me, which displays my ideal sound signature.

Before I post that here, I'll explain that the difference between that and the sound signature of the HiFiMan Re-800 is fairly similar, as similar as I could find from my research into this, at least. The differences are that I'd like for a slightly bit flatter bass in the Re-800 (from Brooko's frequency response charts of it), swapping with a slightly elevated mids region. While the treble has more peaks and dips than my preference of a flatter elevated treble, at least the treble of the Re-800 remains elevated enough throughout up until the high-treble region, where its high-treble is nearly identical to my preference.

Also before I post my graph here, I'm waiting on taking delivery of the Meridian Explorer2 dac, which ought to arrive to me on Wednesday. I was using a Zorloo Zuperdac with the Re-800 that I read on Head-Fi adds +4ohm to the output, increasing the bass.

I'm hoping that the Meridian Explorer2 will be better in that regard, as I read that it has under +1ohm to the output, similar to the Fiio dac Brooko used in their measurements. The slightly added bass in those measurements I'm hoping is due to the Fiio dac Brooko used having a slight bass preference as I've also read about. Whereas, the Meridian Explorer2 dac is suppose to have a neutral bass with slightly elevated vocal mids and treble, just as I'd like, which naturally will help the Re-800 get ever closer to my ideal sound signature preference.

After I've tested this well enough, I'll post my impressions here, and possibly even write a review of both the HiFiMan Re-800 and the Meridian Explorer 2 dac.

Anyways, here is the graph chart showing my ideal sound signature :

iemearphone-audio-frequency-response.png

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #120 of 262
Hi everyone,

I wrote my introduction in the thread for it under the forum section here. I've also written a brief post in the HiFiMan Re-2000 thread, and am carrying over here to the HiFiMan Re-800 thread. I recently purchased the Re-800 after seeing the audio frequency response graph of it displayed in the Re-2000 thread. The frequency response of the Re-800 is as close to my perfect ideal sound signature preference of any dynamic driver - based iem earphones I've seen online.

I've spent several hours researching this , looking at dozens of graphs. Now while there are some balanced armature driver - based iem earphones that get a bit closer to my perfect match in terms of frequency response, the few moving armature driver - based iem earphones I've listened too, just don't have enough fullness of an emotional quality to the sound I like. Therefore, I prefer dynamic driver - based iem earphones, despite that most tend to be further away from my ideal sound signature preference than balanced armature driver - based iem earphones.

My ideal sound signature preference can be described as this : There is a low first half of the sub-bass region being minimal, the second half of the sub-bass region being flat right through the mid-bass region and the high-bass region (flat and neutral bass). Then there is a 5dB upwards slope through the low-mids region, flattening out throughout the mid-mids region, then another 5dB upwards slope this time throughout the high-mids region, flattening out throughout the low-treble region right through the mid-treble region, then showing some downwards and upwards peaks throughout the high-treble region. I'll post an audio frequency response graph a designer recently created for me, which displays my ideal sound signature.

Before I post that here, I'll explain that the difference between that and the sound signature of the HiFiMan Re-800 is fairly similar, as similar as I could find from my research into this, at least. The differences are that I'd like for a slightly bit flatter bass in the Re-800 (from Brooko's frequency response charts of it), swapping with a slightly elevated mids region. While the treble has more peaks and dips than my preference of a flatter elevated treble, at least the treble of the Re-800 remains elevated enough throughout up until the high-treble region, where its high-treble is nearly identical to my preference.

Also before I post my graph here, I'm waiting on taking delivery of the Meridian Explorer2 dac, which ought to arrive to me on Wednesday. I was using a Zorloo Zuperdac with the Re-800 that I read on Head-Fi adds +4ohm to the output, increasing the bass.

I'm hoping that the Meridian Explorer2 will be better in that regard, as I read that it has under +1ohm to the output, similar to the Fiio dac Brooko used in their measurements. The slightly added bass in those measurements I'm hoping is due to the Fiio dac Brooko used having a slight bass preference as I've also read about. Whereas, the Meridian Explorer2 dac is suppose to have a neutral bass with slightly elevated vocal mids and treble, just as I'd like, which naturally will help the Re-800 get ever closer to my ideal sound signature preference.

After I've tested this well enough, I'll post my impressions here, and possibly even write a review of both the HiFiMan Re-800 and the Meridian Explorer 2 dac.

Anyways, here is the graph chart showing my ideal sound signature :

So, you're wondering if RE-800 should be your next IEM? :darthsmile:

I think that it somehow fits with your wishes although it has a well extended bass

Users who are viewing this thread

Back