Hifiman RE-800
Mar 14, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #16 of 262
Apr 2, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #18 of 262
To go one step further, I today heard extensively the RE2000, with a few minutes on the RE800...

The RE800 is a great IEM, reminds me in a way of the Etymotic ER4S, very linear and smooth, the RE2000 dials it up a few steps, sounding hugely (forgive the pun) dynamic...

I feel the RE800 will be quite the crowd pleaser when it comes to market.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #21 of 262
Duncan

Have you posted an re-2000 review? I'd like to read your comparison with the Vega and ie800. Any treble bumps, how is the raw detail resolution (not treble spike "clarity", but actual detail resolution), treble extension, true sub-bass extension and real quantity, any dips, mid-range suckout? Etc! I'm interested in it all. Thanks!

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 262
Duncan

Have you posted an re-2000 review? I'd like to read your comparison with the Vega and ie800. Any treble bumps, how is the raw detail resolution (not treble spike "clarity", but actual detail resolution), treble extension, true sub-bass extension and real quantity, any dips, mid-range suckout? Etc! I'm interested in it all. Thanks!
Hi!

With this being an RE800 thread, I'll just say that, now having had this pre-production pair for two weeks, impressions are imminent - albeit, in their own thread :)

Apr 30, 2017 at 5:14 AM Post #23 of 262
Hi!

With this being an RE800 thread, I'll just say that, now having had this pre-production pair for two weeks, impressions are imminent - albeit, in their own thread :)
Looking forward to your RE2000 article/thread. I have recently given up on BA type technology. In general they tend to impress me on early listen but long term they simply don't do it for me. Dynamic driver has the so called emotions for me that BA IEM simply lacks.

I bought the cardas EM5813 three times, simply because of my fond love to dynamic drivers and how it deals with bass/midrange.

May 13, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #24 of 262
Ok, so far we have one person saying they sound similar to IE800, another saying they're reference like the Ety. As I've never heard the Ety I can't comment on that. Always felt that the IE800 has one impressive bass section, so kind of curious how the bass on the RE800 is. I've been careful with all the Hifiman I've owned, and had one IEM have an issue with lack of glue holding the shell together, and the ES100 came in faulty, other than that the rest of my Hifiman are still working just fine. Either way, I suspect I don't need this, but I'm tempted.

May 16, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #26 of 262
Considering but waiting on a few review impressions.

May 17, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #27 of 262
Did Duncan ever post impressions of the re2000 or re800? Unless I missed it (very possible) it seems like things went silent. Did something happen to his loaner set? Hifiman's quality has gone way down, so if they broke that would be interesting--just speculating and hoping that the mention of Duncan's name will invoke his presence and impressions. That's how it works, right?

Jun 2, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #28 of 262
Man, a straight connector would've killed it with my Shozy Alien Gold! I'm super anxious about this thing since I love the design of the newer HiFiMAN IEMs. I just hate that nearly every HiFiMAN earphone have somewhat of a spike between 1 and 2 kHz causing a slight shoutiness to an otherwise excellent sound. I haven't heard the IE800 but I sure as hell hope these don't have treble spikes.

Jun 4, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #29 of 262
Did Duncan ever post impressions of the re2000 or re800? Unless I missed it (very possible) it seems like things went silent. Did something happen to his loaner set? Hifiman's quality has gone way down, so if they broke that would be interesting--just speculating and hoping that the mention of Duncan's name will invoke his presence and impressions. That's how it works, right?
@Duncan if you can have any input on this that would be great as I am anticipating the purchase of the RE2000 however your silent is kind of worrying to me as a buyer.

Jun 4, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #30 of 262
Sorry everyone, multiple factors have kept me away from the forums of late (18hr working days being the primary ones!)...

I still have the pre-production RE2000s here, although they're not getting very much ear time...

I personally prefer a brighter / leaner sound than what these offer, as such I've gone down a very different route... they are a warm sounding IEM with a phenomenally well defined bass, lush mids, and a "comfortable" treble, micro detail and soundscape is there in spades... they sound genuinely fantastic with a bright source (DFR as my workhorse scenario) - up there with the best I've heard.

However, a couple of issues... one could well be due to being pre production, but worthy of mentioning - I have had a couple of instances where the sound on the right channel has pretty much disappeared, initially I thought it was a cable issue, but discovered that it was when the foam in the sound tube got moist - the density appears to be too high... fine after leaving to dry, but if you're in a humid country, this might be an issue.

Secondly, and more awkwardly, The tonality, it is divisive, it in cliched terms is very vinylesque, which for lots of people will be great, I prefer a (keeping that analogy train going) more digital / clinical sound... that's why I've ended up with the RHA CL1 as my go to - I've read every review there is about them, and coming from the IE800 / SE846, which are both treble happy, these were the logical choice - that being said, I've only had them for 24hrs, so too soon to be conclusive...

That takes me to my final point, the RE2000 is $2000, the CL1 is $449, I could get the CL1, a Mojo and a pretty credible DAP / transport for the same price as the RE2000 alone...

It comes down to this, do the RE2000s deserve TOTL status? Yes, they do, they really showcase what single dynamic drivers are capable of, these tiny 9.2mm drivers can sound damned close to full sized cans, which is no mean feat! The downside is that the competition is catching up, and fast!

To save the weirdest part of my meandering post until last, if asked to pick between the RE2000 and the JH Layla, for a $2000 IEM, which would I choose? The RE2000 - it just sounds more real, more coherent, but that could be just me seemingly, as hard as I try to dismiss it, not being a BA kind of person...

I'm quite sure that I've overstayed my welcome on these, so - I'll try to be somewhat more responsive, if anyone has any further points they would like for me to clarify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back