HiFiMan He400i vs AKG K712 Pro
Jul 23, 2017 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hoegen

New Head-Fier
Hello

I currently own the HE400i. Its very nice, and perfect for what I want.

However I was looking at the 712 pro as a secondary can.

What would I get from the 712, that the he400i cant provide?

I mainly listen to rock and metal. Think Ozzy Osbourne, Soundgarden, Metallica. Anything inbetween that.

Would the 712 be a better fit for that? Also, what can I expect to get from it compared to the He400i?

Thanks.

Jul 23, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #2 of 3
I have both. K712 is smoother, less peaky in the upper treble than the 400i. (using Schiit Multibit Bifrost and Asgard 2). K712 bass, while adequate isn't as extended, so there is less apparent bass 60hz and below. The bass doesn't seem as fast or as tight as the 400i. K712 has a larger soundstage, and really excellent instrument separation. To me, it's a lot less fatiguing since the 400i has peaks where I'm really sensitive. So I'd say that on the surface, the 400i is the flashier phone, but for extended listening i always go for the K712. If you're a basshead, you can push the 400i bass much harder than the K712. I'd give the K712 a few more points for comfort too.

Jul 23, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 3
I currently own the HE400i. Its very nice, and perfect for what I want.

However I was looking at the 712 pro as a secondary can.

What would I get from the 712, that the he400i cant provide?

K712 has a tall bass plateau but drops off a little bit sooner than the HE400i, plus it has a taller treble peak.

Sensitivity is also 93dB, and personally if I'd go get a secondary headphone, ideally it has to be one that's a lot easier to drive, that way if my amp breaks I'd just use the secondary headphone. Neither does it fold flat, so it's not transportable either. But of course you might be looking for some other criteria.

I mainly listen to rock and metal. Think Ozzy Osbourne, Soundgarden, Metallica. Anything inbetween that.

Would the 712 be a better fit for that? Also, what can I expect to get from it compared to the He400i?

Louder bass drums and cymbals. If you find those lacking in the "perfect" HE400i, then you'd bring those instruments out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back