Help with STAX SRS-3100
Feb 4, 2017 at 8:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

r3dhotlava

New Head-Fier

Hello all!

I'm seriously considering getting the STAX SRS-3100 system and I need help confirming (or suggesting) how to get audio from my PC to a DAC to the STAX amp, the SRM-252S.

(I'm copying and pasting the following from a review asking the same) What kind of DAC and cable could one use to get audio from the PC to the DAC to the amp? I have a optical audio coming out of my motherboard & I was thinking of either using Audioquest Beetle DAC because it has an optical input, or the Audioquest Red or Black Dragonfly, to 3.5mm out to dual RCA into the SRM-252S. Does that sound like a correct solution? Also, if you were to suggest the Red or Black, which on would you suggest?

Or any other DAC and cable suggestion. I just want to make sure I'm sure with the connections with the cables from A to B to C, THANKS!

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Depends on the DAC and the amp honestly. Most common is optical or USB cable to connect the DAC to PC and 3.5mm or RCA for connecting the DAC to the amp, unless the amp is balanced. There really isn't one "correct" way to set up a chain. As for digital output, it shouldn't matter whether you use optical or USB, as long as both are of fair quality. I've had some really noisy USB connection, but any decent mobo shouldn't have that issue(or if the DAC has its own power source, it shouldn't really matter). To me, both solutions sound fine, although I'd always choose a desktop version of a DAC. I generally find desktop DACs better, but I don't have data to back that necessarily.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Hi r3dhotlava

Unlikely to apply to you since I have a low-end setup as below:
  • Lenovo IdeaCentre desktop PC with an HDMI in and HDMI out. It's running Windows 10 latest build.
  • Sony 1080 receiver
  • Stax energizer and Stax earspeakers
  • HDMI cable
STEPS
  1. I connected the 4 wires on the back of the Stax energizer to the front speakers out on the Sony receiver. I then connected the HDMI out from the PC to an HDMI in on the Sony receiver (I used the one designated for Games since I don't play games).
  2. I then turn on the receiver, wait about 20 seconds, and then turn on the PC. Windows 10 recognizes the receiver as one of the Playback Devices. I then right-click on the speaker icon at the bottom right of the screen and select Playback Devices. In the dialog box that opens, I click on the Sony AVsystem icon and then click on the button "Set Default". You can then click on the Properties button to configure the sound to your liking.
  3. Finally, I use Foobar 2000 to play most of my music and Sony's app Media Go to play hi res DSD music. Sometimes for change, I use Microsoft's Groove player. All 3 are somewhat equal and good enough for me. Foobar has an extension that simulates tube amps for those who enjoy a little bit of distortion in their music. Windows 10 also has Adobe Atmos as well as its own spatial audio app (Windows Sonic for Headphones).
  4. I control the playing of the music using the receiver's remote control or the Sony's iOS app called Music Center.
  5. And when I don't feel like sitting by the computer, I insert a USB stick or a massive multi TBs external disk into the Sony receiver and play hi res music (FLAC, DFF and DSF files) directly from the USB into the receiver into the Stax energizer into the Stax earspeakers. I then control everything from my iPhone.
The sound is out of this world - pure joy
Before anyone flame/throw shade: I know I'm getting less than the maximum possible - probably 95-97% of what's possible. But to get those last 3-5% would cost $$$ :scream: Instead, I use those savings to buy more music and attend more live concerts. Second, if Stax :zzz: ever responds to me, I'll buy the L700 headphones with the 353X amp.

Jul 26, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 5
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back