Help deciding on SPL Phonitor/ Sennheiser HDVD800
Jun 20, 2014 at 4:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

greggreynolds

New Head-Fier
Hi There,
 I produce music and purchased a pair of HD800 earlier this year.
I currently use an Apogee Ensemble which am not sure can drive the HD 800
they sound fine but would know as did test the HDVD800 but in a shop and can't really remember.

Im happy to use it solely for music production but for the money would be good to able to use it for 2 purposes.
music production is ITB so no live instruments maybe the Phonitor is overkill possibly Phonitor mini?

If both used as a hi-fi preamp them would i need XLR cables + active speakers?

I would be grateful for your input regarding the above query.

Many thanks,

Gregg

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 13
Maybe consider dangerous source, though it is a DAC/pre/amp.

Jun 21, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #4 of 13
+1 on the DM Source. It's a really good match with the HD800. Great pre-amp controlling quality for my monitors. Very neutral sound and presentation. Headphone amp is really good for HD800. I never go past 12 o clock with HD800s.

Having said that, I'm also quite curious about HDVD800 and especially the Phonitor 2.

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 13
I am going to use a speaker amp with the hd800 that's on the way, from the speaker taps. If I'll upgrade, it'll likely be to the dangerous source, and then I'll sell my speakers and get some actives instead.

Jun 22, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 13
I am going to use a speaker amp with the hd800 that's on the way, from the speaker taps. If I'll upgrade, it'll likely be to the dangerous source, and then I'll sell my speakers and get some actives instead.

Lol going my way. Actives the way to go.

Also, running 800 off emo?

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:02 PM Post #7 of 13

Lol going my way. Actives the way to go.

Also, running 800 off emo?

Ima do that, unless I get something else of course. Leaning more and more towards the 'objectivist' side of things these days.

Jun 22, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 13
  Ima do that, unless I get something else of course. Leaning more and more towards the 'objectivist' side of things these days.

Back when I had my Emotiva, I wanted to get a HD800 to try off that but everyone that tried it didn't like the combo. The Emo is actually a harsh amplifier. With LCD-2's treble it was masked and so it sounded quite pleasing. HE-500 worked fine, although didn't have a high ceiling for resolve. When the LCD-3 came, it really exposed the Emo. The treble seemed too harsh. Despite the HE-500 being brighter, the LCD-3's treble was quite fatiguing. Others had this to a higher degree with the HD800.

You'll enjoy making the switch over to something like a DM Source and a pair of monitors. The best thing about it is I don't ever get the "synergy" or "what-if?" bug. Before with passive speakers and headphones, I always was worried about trying to find the right speaker and headphone amplifier. No more of that nonsense. With the Source and monitors, you don't have to worry about additional pre-amps, DACs and amplifiers.

The built in headphone amplifier isn't the best for planars, but for HD800 and Denon's, it is remarkably good. The bass on Source + HD800 beats HE-500, LCD-2, LCD-3 on amps from the Emo to BHA-1 to Conductor to higher end Luxman speaker amps.

Jun 22, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks pal, though I won't invest heavily in equipment until I find at least 'temporary' end game. So far the candidates are hd800, new Hifiman 'stat and HE-6 successor.

Jun 22, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 13
Thanks pal, though I won't invest heavily in equipment until I find at least 'temporary' end game. So far the candidates are hd800, new Hifiman 'stat and HE-6 successor.

LOL exact same headphones I'm considering, assuming the HE-6 successor is something light like the HE-560. There's also a DC-1 which apparently works just as well as DM Source for pre-amp. Looking to pick one up for monitors and then relocate the Source for headphones and smaller desk monitors.

Jun 22, 2014 at 6:20 PM Post #11 of 13
The emotiva dc-1?
Guess that was enough OT 
biggrin.gif

I am sorry Greg..

Aug 12, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 13

I love it

NOMAX

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #13 of 13

coming late to the party , the hdvd800 is much better than the phonitor . I own both . the dac inside is ok nothing soecial so if looking for an amp buy the hdvd600.
al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back