Hearing imbalance/loss + tinnitus
May 15, 2017 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Blinxat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys & gals,

7 years ago I never listened to headphones at all. After a neck injury my right ear started ringing. Thats when I got into the headphone hobby, I am use to it now, but back then used headphones to get my mind off it and mask it.

I always watched the volume but I noticed that my hearing just isn't as good anymore in my right ear. I always have to move the balance slider to the right, 7 years ago it was just a tiny amount but now it is quite a bit.

On Windows Sound balance for example it is 100% on right and 85-90% on the left to compensate, However as of late I need to move it even more but it doesn't make a difference anymore. There just anything going on anymore in the right ear above 14khz or so. It can still hear 16khz but needs high volume. In comparison the left ear sounds much crisper.

The audiologists here only go up to 8khz or maybe 10khz, which is also affected but not as bad YET.

Is this just a progressive thing that I can do nothing about, or should I stop using headphoens? I don't know of any other cause that might be causing it.

It is kinda dumb on some cans! like Beyers the right ear thinks, wow this treble is neat, and the left goes far too bright!

Just wondering if anyone else has do deal with something similar?

May 15, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 7
Look for global EQ apps that can use a separate profile on each channel. Some car stereo processors do this but I'm sure there has to be some software for computers to do this.

Also try taking some supplements - can't remember but I think it has to be magnesium or zinc.

May 26, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 7
What have the audiologists said? Is it unilateral sensorineural hearing loss? How is your tinnitus in that ear now? Is there tinnitus in the left? Have you seen an otolaryngologist?

May 29, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #4 of 7
Here is the audiogram, for some reason the right ear is on the left and the left ear on the right.

The right ear is the bad ear with tinnitus. You can see that starting from 5khz or so there is a consistent drop off, always between 10 and 20db.

On the left ear there is a notch at 6khz but I wouldn't read too much into that, thats new to me.

jj456b.jpg

aud2.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2017 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 7
My German is rusty, but I get the idea. I have bilateral sensorineural hearing loss + tinnitus myself. Mine is not as advanced as your is in your right ear, but it is progressing. It is odd to me that it is unilateral. Makes me wonder if you had some acoustic insult to your right that the left escaped. Wonder what that could have been. Medication-related hearing loss is bilateral as is usually that due to loud sounds and age. I think you are going to have to be cautious with your volume levels on the right. Careful with things like the very bright Beyers, which could further damage your ear. I have no idea what your prognosis is, your story is odd to me, but I worry that your hearing loss is going to remain as it is or progress. I do not know what you should do, honestly, other than be very cautious with your volume levels on the right. Maybe try vitamin A, E, C, or CoQ10--antioxidants have been reported to help in animals and some limited human studies. Could be worth a shot. Sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back