Dec 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

donttouchmyhoho

New Head-Fier
Beyerdynamic DT990 (Premium and Pro)
ir

[size=1.7em] HiFiMAN HE-400 Planar Driver High Efficiency Headphones[/size]

Ultrasone Pro 900

Ultrasone Pro 2900

I have extremely little knowledge in terms of the terminology you guys throw out there so helping me decided on these or something else would be awesome ^.^ I read  Mad Lust Envy's guide and I believe one of these are we what im looking for.

I'll give you my criteria to help me out

1. Bass is a must, I love the bass to hit hard and sound great. I dont want it to flood so bad that it makes everything hard to hear. I'm a competitive gamer, but my main primary usage would be music. Skrillex, mudvayne, slipknot, all the way down to matchbox 20. I love the explosion during games though

2. Treble, I need that clarity without sacrificing bass though.

Other than that terminology wise I can't throw anything out there.

I want clarity but im more bass heavy. I love to hear pianos and violins clearly etc. I listen to dubstep here and there. I know im emphasizing bass a lot, but im not willing to get bass heavy at sacrificing a lot on the other. My lack of knowledge is really limiting me on how to portray this and i kinda feel stupid xD help. I dont know either which amps if any I should get and I read you can buy microphone attatchments for ones that dont have any?

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #4 of 4
Microphone attachments in form of stuff like this: http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

It attaches on your wire.

As far as the headphones, I only owned the Pro 900's and the HE-400's from your list.

I wouldn't call the Pro 900's an "All-Around" headphone, certainly wouldn't say it has "Clarity" compared to others at the same price point. It does a great job at immersing you into the game world though, and sounds fantastic for bass-heavy songs. The 2900 would be the better choice if going with Ultrasone imo for your needs (Bigger soundstage).

The HE-400's which are my main headphones right now are great. Most people wouldn't call them "Bass-Heavy" but as a basshead myself, I think they have the perfect mix between the "Amount" of Bass and the "Quality" of it. The soundstage is much bigger then the Pro 900's (Which matters for directional positioning) and I would definitely say that clarity is a strong point on the headphone.

I currently do Competitive gaming on CS:GO and using my HE-400's and it's great paired with a soundcard. Using my Fiio E10 (DAC/AMP) vs my Xonar DG makes a pretty drastic difference. I can pinpoint (As much as my entry level soundcard allows me to atleast) enemies very well, and have no trouble using sound to my advantage.

If you want the best directional positioning I suggest you pick up a sound card as well as a headphone with good soundstage (Xonar DG is only $23 right now on Amazon).

Good luck to picking up the right one.

Edit: I don't know much on the beyerdynamic so I can't help you on that one, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back