Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
May 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #7,651 of 12,269
Please keep us posted on how this goes. As I just purchased a used pair of HE-6's I am curious how HiFiMan handles their repair. Good luck! They are great headphones but hope I don't have any reliability issues. My pair seems fine at the moment.

Yep,mine worked fine too,until they didnt.Left side just went silent right in the middle of "Caroline" by Concrete Blonde.
Once i get a hold of them tomorrow i will post an update.

May 22, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #7,653 of 12,269
My AEON's arrived! I immediately noticed just how gorgeous and well-designed they are, and how comfortable they are.

Feel free to ask me questions.

Mr. Speakers needs to bring their products to Romania as well! I have seen so much praise over their new models but they are nowhere to be tested in Romania, it is mmaking me nervous knowing that they might be awesome and me not having any idea!!

May 22, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #7,654 of 12,269
HE6 update:

So,the official HiFiMan customer service # is not being answered,so I got an alternative contact number from Upscale Audio.That number was answered like someones personal phone

"Hello"?:confused:

The lady who answered was as helpful as she could be,but didnt do much to alleviate any worries I have,in fact when she mentioned "trade-in" it added to my paranoia,suggesting it was quite unusual for an HE6 to still be under warranty and didnt know if it would/could be fixed.

Was instructed to send an email with proof of purchase,and then I "should" hear back from them in 24 hours.

Hopefully will have good news tomorrow.

May 23, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #7,655 of 12,269
Any tips for discovering more music that one isn't normally exposed to? I don't know what else to do at this point in the hobby. It almost feels as if I'm on my way out after the 3 years of on/off trial and error, buying/selling/trying new hardware. What's next after I sell my V850? I'd trade [the V850] for some new cans, but I don't think many people are looking for that kind of exchange. Heh.

May 23, 2017 at 1:51 AM Post #7,656 of 12,269
Any tips for discovering more music that one isn't normally exposed to? I don't know what else to do at this point in the hobby. It almost feels as if I'm on my way out after the 3 years of on/off trial and error, buying/selling/trying new hardware. What's next after I sell my V850? I'd trade [the V850] for some new cans, but I don't think many people are looking for that kind of exchange. Heh.

Bandcamp and Tidal have exposed me to music I never thought even existed before. Gave me an appreciation for different types of music too. Bandcamp is free unless you buy something (although a lot of music if free or name your price) and comes in your choice of lossless downloads. Tidal is $20 a month but has been a great discovery tool alongside Bandcamp.

May 23, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #7,657 of 12,269

While I prefer Tidal's SQ, Spotify is a big help in finding new music. Their artist radio stations are very good. They also have curated playlists. Then, after they learn who your favorite artists are, they create "daily mixes" based on 3 or 4 similar bands you've been listening to.

Spotify is great for finding new music.

May 23, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #7,658 of 12,269

I use the music discussion here on Head-Fi. Meet new friends, explore new music, and even talk about headphones once in a while...

May 23, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #7,659 of 12,269
For someone who listens to a lot of music, recommendation engines from streaming services do not cut it. I just pay attention to release schedules like this. Also, magazines are not dead. Many still cover music that social trends and algorithms ignore. Sadly, being able to flip through the reviews section at a bookstore has become mostly a thing of the past, though Barnes & Noble still carry a few. But digital subscriptions are available like at PocketMags, and some put reviews on their sites for free. I still follow Iron Fist, Vive Le Rock, Metal Hammer, Prog, Decibel, Terrorizer, Shindig, Louder Than War, Uncut, MOJO, Classic Rock, even Rolling Stone. NME is garbage but it's available free on PocketMags right now and has maybe one useful bit of info every couple issues. I used to follow a bunch of sites and blogs but they're far too inconsistent, and I only read them when they pop up on google searches when I want varied opinions on specific albums. My cronies at Doom Charts always have interesting recommendations.

I do use Spotify to sample albums and keep an ongoing playlist of new releases each week. Yes, it takes some time investment to sift what you like out of the clutter, but I still think it's fun. The way I see it, the only reason to stop listening to new music is lack of passion and energy, because there is never a lack of new good music, or even unexplored old music.

May 23, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #7,661 of 12,269

I don't care much about algorithms. Instead, I follow a lot of people on Bandcamp, so my feed is full of recommendations from people with matching tastes. I peruse a plethora of metal blogs on a daily basis (e.g. Angry Metal Guy, Metal Trenches, No Clean Singing, Last Rites, Meat Mead Metal, Invisible Oranges, Metal Observer as well as Nine Circles where I write). You can access (most of) those conveniently through the friends column found at metalbandcamp.com. I also find plenty of recommendations at Metal-fi.com's discussion forums. For upcoming releases each week, the trifecta of Invisible Oranges (Mondays), Toilet ov Hell (Tuesday) and Nine Circles (Saturdays) provides comprehensive, complementary coverage. Stereogum's monthly listing The Black Market is essential, also for their thoughtful essays.

May 24, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #7,663 of 12,269
@socks mk2: Oddly enough, the Spotifys "Discover Weekly" wasn't specifically mentioned.
Around 3 hours of new music on a weekly basis, and they're not drawn out of a hat, but it does require for you to use the service to give you the recommendations.
It's extremely helpful if you haven't got too much time on your hands, but enjoy getting exposed to new music nonetheless. I listen to my weekly recommendations a few times during the home office days, and if I enjoy something, I'll have a listen of the whole album/more from the same artist.
The radio stations @shuto77 mentioned work pretty well as well, and functionality of TIDAL or their curated, quite mainstreamy playlists doesn't really cut it for me.

Otherwise, last.fm. Works well without logging in/scrobbling tracks there, and just going by the artist/album you like - and clicking on the similar stuff, but does it work well if you actually scrobble stuff there. Got basically all of my listening saved there from the beginning of 2009.

May 24, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #7,665 of 12,269
I mentioned Spotify's Discover Weekly feature indirectly regarding algorithms. What confuses Spotify's formula is that I sample a wide range of new releases that are not always stuff I like. So it's about 99% misses, and my time is better spent the way I described. Sure, no effort is required, but the returns I think are not as consistent quality if you actually do the seeking yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back