Headphone amp ($200 or under) recommendations with Scarlett solo
Jul 2, 2017 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

14likd1

New Head-Fier
Like the title says I am currently looking for an amp that could work with my current setup. I'm pretty new to audiophile equipment.
My Current setup includes:
  • Mic: Audio Technica AT 2035
  • Dac: Focusrite Scarlett Solo
  • Speaker: Audio Engine A2+
  • Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 with hopes to upgrade to the HD 650
Right now my frontrunner for the amp is the Schiit Mani 2 Uber for the reason that it checks my list of not only having a 1/4 inch headphone plugs but also having RCA input and an additional RCA output that I could hook the speakers up to. I'm also looking at the Aune x7s that checks all the boxes but is a bit more expensive. I am willing to compromise having the speakers connect to the amps if it means getting better amps. Was wondering if there are any problems with my setup or amp setups you think I will also like?

Jul 2, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 12
I have an almost identical setup for gaming and similar for music. I use the 2035 with Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen with HD598 plugged into the headphone out. And then I use the Modi2/Magni2 stack (upgrading to Jotunheim with balanced dac) and the HD650. I'd say get the Magni 2, it'll help the 598 a little bit and it'll help the 650 a LOT compared to running it through a mobo or the Solo. It'll also pre-out to your speakers which is a plus. Magni 2 has plenty of power and will sound great with the 650. The only reason I'm upgrading is to go balanced, which pushes 900mW which is crazy. Anything above the Jotunheim for the 650 will only be adding 2 or 3% to the sound quality, which with Jot is already about 95% as good as they'll ever sound.

Definitely get the Magni 2, it's the best quality for the price and looks amazing too!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 12
And then I use the Modi2/Magni2 stack (upgrading to Jotunheim with balanced dac) and the HD650.

Why do you have the Modi 2? I heard that the Scarlett Solo is a pretty amazing DAC already but is lacking in the amp. Did you just have the solo2 focus on driving the mic and the Schiit stack drive the headphones/speakers? also if so did you connect the Modi to your solo or just directly into your computer?

Jul 3, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 12
Topping A30 is another great little amp, especially if you upgrade the op-amps to a pair of Burson V5i D op-amps :D

Do you have the Topping A30? I did a bit of research on it and it seems like it fits most of what I want. But Looking at another thread it seems like the amplifier does not change the way music sounds?

This is my first "new thread' here. I realized there is no thread currently for the Topping A30 (only one for the D30).
Now some are going to ask "how does it sound", well it sounds like nothing. I can't hear any "modification" to any of my music.

Which kind off worries me since aren't amps supposed to make the music sound better in some way, as to why a lot of people prefer using tube amps since they make stuff sound "warmer"? The amp is also fairly new so I am a bit more skeptical.

also when you said "especially if you upgrade the op-amps to a pair of Burson V5i D op-amps" are you saying modifying the amp? if so how difficult is it to modify the amp and where can I buy them?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #7 of 12
Do you have the Topping A30? I did a bit of research on it and it seems like it fits most of what I want. But Looking at another thread it seems like the amplifier does not change the way music sounds?

Which kind off worries me since aren't amps supposed to make the music sound better in some way, as to why a lot of people prefer using tube amps since they make stuff sound "warmer"? The amp is also fairly new so I am a bit more skeptical.

also when you said "especially if you upgrade the op-amps to a pair of Burson V5i D op-amps" are you saying modifying the amp? if so how difficult is it to modify the amp and where can I buy them?

Yes I do have one, use the D30 DAC + A30 amp stack as my office setup, it is very clean and powerful, an excellent amp for the price, that can be improved if you want to with other op-amps in the future.

I like the way it has 3 gain settings and a low and high power setting, it means you can use it with sensitive IEM's, but also harder to driver full size headphones.

The Op-amp is installed in a socket, so all you have to do is take the amp apart (easily unscrews and the volume knob just pulls off without too much hassle)

Then you remove the old op-amps from the socket, and install the new ones, making sure they are the right way around,

The V5i Dual makes the soundstage larger, but the sound is more detailed and also has a darker background, much more immersive with slightly better bass response, but without colouring the sound much.

You need the V5i Dual x 2 for the A30: https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/supreme-sound-opamp-v5i/

Old:
op-amp.jpg

New:
IMG_20170626_102233.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 12
How would you say they compare to the Schiit magni 2 uber? There is currently a drop on them in Massdrop and after talking to you I might get one. But, while the price is much lower, Schiit has been a forum favorite.

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #9 of 12
How would you say they compare to the Schiit magni 2 uber? There is currently a drop on them in Massdrop and after talking to you I might get one. But, while the price is much lower, Schiit has been a forum favorite.

Schiit are a forum favourite, unfortunately I have not tested them side by side so I cannot compare.

The Topping is the underdog, I am also a big fan of the JDS Labs O2, as a pure wire with gain option, but it does not have the features of the Topping, which to me makes the Topping better value. Even with the expense of the upgraded op-amps it is fantastic value and will power most headphones out there.

In my opinion you cannot go wrong with the Topping, especially for the price. Even inside it uses good components and feels and looks great.

Jul 3, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 12
Why do you have the Modi 2? I heard that the Scarlett Solo is a pretty amazing DAC already but is lacking in the amp. Did you just have the solo2 focus on driving the mic and the Schiit stack drive the headphones/speakers? also if so did you connect the Modi to your solo or just directly into your computer?

I got the stack off eBay for a good price, barely used. I also like having a separate setup for music and gaming, that way I can leave my 598 plugged into the Solo only, and the 650 plugged into the M&M Uber stack. Also it allowed me to upgrade my music setup without having to worry about buying a new interface with good dac. I use WASAPI bitperfect with my Modi 2 Uber also so when Foobar is going, it'll take over and not allow any other sounds from other sources. I like keeping that separate from my other stuff.

Jul 3, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 12
I was talking to a EE friend of mine and he brought up changing MKP caps and showed me this guide was wondering what your thoughts are with this tweak and the topping A30?

Edit: nvmd he saw the pcb and said there was already sufficient MKP caps there

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #12 of 12

An amplifier's job is to amplify the input signal into a signal that can drive the transducer hooked up to it with very low distortion and noise. If it "makes the music sound better," the one way it can is that you can listen louder (which is perceived to be better by the brain) without adding distortion and noise. Many amps and devices out there can take you past the threshold of hearing damage on nearly all headphones but the distortion and noise are piling on - if not already clipping outright - will stop you due to the crappy sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back