Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Apr 20, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #10,831 of 12,591
Welll @Hawaiibadboy
 certainly isn't wrong, with proper power and a little eq, the XB90EX absolutely CRUSH. Bass hits so damn hard, beats out the z5 on that front no question. Really just blown away at the quality of these all for 80 bucks... this is the DD that should be in the z5! 

Question about EQ'ing as I'm a complete noob - so I use spotify and/or tidal and don't really keep any digital files, so when it comes to EQing on my macbook pro, I need to do a global EQ. Right now I've got the soundflower/AU Lab hack set up which has a ton of effects but mostly for our purposes just a parametric and 10/31 band graphical eq. Does anyone have any experience with this set up? Or if no one has used it before, does anyone here with eq expertise think this looks like decent quality? The AU Lab still lets me send the audio signal via usb to my oppo HA-2 which is nice, and at least with the parametric eq, I'm getting some decent results, at least I think I am? I don't know though, is this a bootleg setup for eq?

You can read about it here if anyone is curious: http://lifehacker.com/5993636/how-to-equalize-your-computer-for-itunes-spotify-and-everything-else

I'm not sure if this is proffesional solution but I'm using for 10 years SRS WOW in my home PC (windows) to "wow the sound" and is working very good.

Unfortunately I don't have sound card. As portable player I'm using Cowon P1.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:59 PM Post #10,832 of 12,591
Just an update on my impressions on the Pioneer SE-CX8...

I would say that if I ranked my bass enjoyment on a scale of 1-10 then,

when they are stock with Note 4 as source - 3

adding Comply tips brings it up to - 5

adding FIO E18 amp brings it up to - 7

They are enjoyable, better than anything I've had before but this is the first time I ever spent more than $40 on IEMs.  What people say about having to really have them cranked up to enjoy some bass is very true.  I had the brick (amp and Note 4) in my pocket at the gym today with it to the max level without distortion.  It definitely put me in the zone... after 1 particular set I sat up and everyone was looking at me with a grin.  The owner said I sounded like I was doing martial arts with all the funny sounds I was making while I was lifting... LOL.  The funny part is I really didn't even have a clue I was making a peep.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and see if Amazon will take em back so I can try something else...  I'm trying to decide between the Sony XB-90, Sony MDR-EX800ST, and the Sannheiser IE80. I just wish I knew how much of a difference there is between these 3 choices.   

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #10,833 of 12,591

They are enjoyable, better than anything I've had before but this is the first time I ever spent more than $40 on IEMs.  What people say about having to really have them cranked up to enjoy some bass is very true.  I had the brick (amp and Note 4) in my pocket at the gym today with it to the max level without distortion.  It definitely put me in the zone... after 1 particular set I sat up and everyone was looking at me with a grin.  The owner said I sounded like I was doing martial arts with all the funny sounds I was making while I was lifting... LOL.  The funny part is I really didn't even have a clue I was making a peep.

Anyway, I'm gonna try and see if Amazon will take em back so I can try something else...  I'm trying to decide between the Sony XB-90, Sony MDR-EX800ST, and the Sannheiser IE80. I just wish I knew how much of a difference there is between these 3 choices.   

Only go ie80 if you favor midbass. They are easy to drive though.

Apr 21, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #10,834 of 12,591

Get these

http://www.accessoryjack.com/headphones/in-ear/radius-hp-nhr21-high-mfd-hi-res-audio-high-performance-in-ear-headphones-black.html

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #10,835 of 12,591
Anyone checked the TFZ Balance 2M?

The seem to have a quite nice tonality with linear bass - see the graph in this review:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/tfz-balance-2m/reviews/17420

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #10,837 of 12,591

That phatlab amp looks good but not balanced, otherwise not interested. You got any bass stuff to talk about? 

I was told a while back that Phatlab's next model will be fully balanced but don't have any other details at this stage.

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #10,838 of 12,591
  I was told a while back that Phatlab's next model will be fully balanced but don't have any other details at this stage.

Now that....would be cool. I am fully balanced out and iBasso is the only balanced amp that seems doable but the owner is not clear and I hated the DX200 so the phatlab would be an interesting item for everybody in this thread

Apr 24, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #10,839 of 12,591

Now that....would be cool. I am fully balanced out and iBasso is the only balanced amp that seems doable but the owner is not clear and I hated the DX200 so the phatlab would be an interesting item for everybody in this thread

Don't count out the Fireye hdb. It sounds really good. I like it better than mojo. The bass is already strong but I wish it had bass boost.

http://www.fsatw.com/fireyehdb.html

I picked it up off Massdrop for abot $200 the same week I bought the Xduoo XD05. I was immediately smitten with the xduoos form factor and didn't initially spend much time with the HDB. Then one day I went back and gave it a listen cause I was thinking about selling it and I realized, "this sounds way better than the xduoo, and the xduoo sounds good."
With a bass boost, this would be the perfect amp.

Apr 24, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #10,840 of 12,591
[Mod Comment]

Nuked some posts - if there is a next time, report, don't reply - less work for us then.  Thanks

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #10,841 of 12,591

Don't count out the Fireye hdb. It sounds really good. I like it better than mojo. The bass is already strong but I wish it had bass boost.

I picked it up off Massdrop for abot $200 the same week I bought the Xduoo XD05. I was immediately smitten with the xduoos form factor and didn't initially spend much time with the HDB. Then one day I went back and gave it a listen cause I was thinking about selling it and I realized, "this sounds way better than the xduoo, and the xduoo sounds good."

​That looks pretty dope Will it stack behind a Note 4?

Apr 24, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #10,842 of 12,591

Chips
* Differential OPAmp: TI – LME49724
* Main OPAmp: TI - TPA6120

Had a peek inside ? Are the opamps DIP-8 for ease of chip rolling or soldered in ?

Apr 25, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #10,844 of 12,591
It's small, smaller than x5 gen3. It's my favorite amp sound signature wise.

Looks dope

I need a new cable
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back