HD555 foam mod video
Mar 2, 2010 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

skikarl

New Head-Fier
So i have had the HD555 for about 4 months now, and i had read some things about mods for a wile, and a few weeks ago i wanted to look in to doing a mod. and there were not any good tutorials (that i could find) on how to do this that easily showed how to take the headphones apart and how to do the mod. so i made a video on it. i am a kind of big youtuber, nothing huge. im not trying to spam and get subscribers or anything, i just figured that this would help a lot of people.

so this tutorial is not aimed at audio pros, i try to explain a lot as much as i can. and i did not really delve much in to many audio terms. i how this helps you guys do the mod!

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 62
I'd been putting off doing this mod for awhile for fear that I'd screw something up, but after seeing the video, it's clear that I won't have a problem. Thank you.

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 62
Oh my god...what a difference. I've always felt that my 555's were lacking in the bass department, and that complaint has literally gone away. Before I did the mod, I played a few bass heavy tracks, the last being Daft Punk's "Face to Face". Before, it didn't have a whole lot of impact with my 555's compared to my DT770's. Afterward, the 555's come really close to the DT770's, at least to my ears (which aren't golden, I'll admit).

I can't believe that Sennheiser would do something so ridiculous (as seen in the video, it's literally a strip of foam they've glued inside the headphone) in an attempt to separate their 555's from their 595's. Then again...they are out to make money, so it shouldn't surprise me that much.

If what I've read is correct, these have the same signature as the 595's now, right?

Anyway, thanks again (Listening to more and more things, I can't think of a reason not to do this mod, unless you fear voiding a warranty.)

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 62
Thanks for the video man, I just did it and it sounds great!
beyersmile.png

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #5 of 62
@kcchiefsfan

glad to help man. ya the mod is really easy, and from reading posts it sounds hard. so i dug up some sennheiser manual on how to open the 555 and i figured it out and figured that i should put all the facts in one spot.
and ya, it makes a difference.
and as far as i am sure its the same as the 595. my friend jimmy has them, and i told him to bring them over and i was playing the same song on both headphones and put a random pair on him, and then the other, and then the same one, then the other 20 times. and he could not tell the difference, i then put the foam back, and he got all right but one time. during a guitar solo

@ctlaurin
no problem man!

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #6 of 62
Ironic that I just watched this video a couple days ago. . .haha

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 62
I'm going to give this a go!

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ze_Blitzkrieg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ironic that I just watched this video a couple days ago. . .haha

looks as if i found a subscriber of mine, have i not?

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by skikarl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
looks as if i found a subscriber of mine, have i not?

No. . .just happened across the video. . .actually my friend sent me a link to the video as he is the one that happened upon it, lol. He has the 555's. . .and as of today, my 555's are on the way. Partly due to someone finally showing how to do this simple mod. I greatly appreciate it if you are the creator of the video. I was slightly amused at the self correction of "headset" to "headphones", lol.

Mar 3, 2010 at 3:44 AM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

No. . .just happened across the video. . .actually my friend sent me a link to the video as he is the one that happened upon it, lol. He has the 555's. . .and as of today, my 555's are on the way. Partly due to someone finally showing how to do this simple mod. I greatly appreciate it if you are the creator of the video. I was slightly amused at the self correction of "headset" to "headphones", lol.

glad to hear you got the 555. they are a fantastic set of headphones. and ya, im the creator. the youtube account is skikarl, im skikarl. im legit lol. and ya, in the review i called the a "headset" and i got like 5 comments about the fact that they are not a headset, they are headphones, so i was sure to say it right this time, and i still said headset once...and ya, the mod is easy, it just needed to be all in one spot.

glad to help!

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #11 of 62
Done it. It works great! Thanks.

Mar 3, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 62
Quote:

glad to hear you got the 555. they are a fantastic set of headphones. and ya, im the creator. the youtube account is skikarl, im skikarl. im legit lol. and ya, in the review i called the a "headset" and i got like 5 comments about the fact that they are not a headset, they are headphones, so i was sure to say it right this time, and i still said headset once...and ya, the mod is easy, it just needed to be all in one spot.

glad to help!

Yeah, my biggest thing was that what I had been finding was all in words or not very well laid out pics. Simple video did the trick. . .and once again thanks. My friend and I are both going to try this out. He just sent his off for warranty due to small cracks that have formed on his. I noticed yours did not have this issue. Any of your friends with 555's or 595's come across this at all?

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #13 of 62
Quote:

glad to help!

Very useful video, though I doubt if Sennheiser appreciates it much (expect a summons from Germany any day now
smily_headphones1.gif
). As for terminology, I'm not sure what the problem is with the word "headset", but I do have a problem with the phrase "drive head" for driver. Never mind--good effort.

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Yeah, my biggest thing was that what I had been finding was all in words or not very well laid out pics. Simple video did the trick. . .and once again thanks. My friend and I are both going to try this out. He just sent his off for warranty due to small cracks that have formed on his. I noticed yours did not have this issue. Any of your friends with 555's or 595's come across this at all?

no, none of the phones i have seen or used have had these cracks

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #15 of 62
Mine have a crack on the left headband. If they were more expensive phones, I'd probably have sent them in. They are probably past the warranty period anyway though. From what I've read, the crack is fairly common on the 555's. Not sure about any other senns.

As long as it doesn't hurt the sound, I really don't mind. I can only say that because of the cheap 100 dollar price though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back