Happy as a Pig in Schiit: Introducing Modi Multibit
May 19, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #3,226 of 4,588
Just had a What moment after I hit an "Unknown Error" trying to install drivers on a freshly loaded W7. The solution was not to use the Windows built-in zip archive support. Expanded the downloaded driver archive using 7Zip and all worked like a charm. I stepped on similar problems in the past, just surprised Microsoft can't get it right after all these years.

May 24, 2017 at 8:03 AM Post #3,228 of 4,588
IMG_8958.JPG
I'm giving Bimby a second chance: Bimby/Jotunheim or Mimby/Polaris? One stack will go on sale soon...

May 25, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #3,230 of 4,588
Keep the Mimby/Polaris, you will get better space/aesthetic in your desk and some cash for serious headphones :beerchug:

That's what I did - couldn't justify the price difference judging by sound quality alone. Plus, I have much lesser desktop footprint and Polaris sounds very smooth with th900.

May 25, 2017 at 9:07 AM Post #3,231 of 4,588
I'm giving Bimby a second chance: Bimby/Jotunheim or Mimby/Polaris? One stack will go on sale soon...

I have similar setups:
Bimby & Jot (silver)
Mimby & Vali2

These setups are different sounding (which I like). I have the Mimby setup in my bedroom while the Bimby setup is in another listening room. Can't really part with either one, however I do have
a Project Ember 2 coming soon and will be comparing it to the Vali2. Maybe one of the tube hybrid's will be up for sale.

May 25, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #3,232 of 4,588
I have similar setups:
Bimby & Jot (silver)
Mimby & Vali2

These setups are different sounding (which I like). I have the Mimby setup in my bedroom while the Bimby setup is in another listening room. Can't really part with either one, however I do have
a Project Ember 2 coming soon and will be comparing it to the Vali2. Maybe one of the tube hybrid's will be up for sale.

In your case it makes sense to keep both. In my it doesn't since I listen to headphones only at work and would like to keep only one stack (kept Mimby/Polaris - IMO this can't be beat for the price).

May 25, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #3,233 of 4,588
Just had a What moment after I hit an "Unknown Error" trying to install drivers on a freshly loaded W7. The solution was not to use the Windows built-in zip archive support. Expanded the downloaded driver archive using 7Zip and all worked like a charm. I stepped on similar problems in the past, just surprised Microsoft can't get it right after all these years.
All these years? Windows 7 is how old? No problem on Windows 10. Drivers install automatically. They did get it right after all these years.

May 25, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #3,235 of 4,588
This is correct. The Modi 2 Uber with the 4490 chipset is self-powered. And the Modi Multibit is not - the USB "receiver" is powered from the USB source, just like the earlier Modi 2 Uber and all other Schiit DACs.
Why did they design the Modi Multibit this way? Isn't poor implementation of USB common in computers? I was shocked when I turned off my Modi Multibit and it didn't disappear from Windows. I have two other DACs and they are self-powered. Wouldn't such a cheap decision jeopardize quality of the otherwise sophisticated DAC?

May 25, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #3,236 of 4,588
This is correct. The Modi 2 Uber with the 4490 chipset is self-powered. And the Modi Multibit is not - the USB "receiver" is powered from the USB source, just like the earlier Modi 2 Uber and all other Schiit DACs.

Are the Schiit DACs powering their USB receiver using USB VBUS power or do they just not work if the VBUS power is not there? It's a HUGE difference.

May 25, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #3,237 of 4,588
Are the Schiit DACs powering their USB receiver using USB VBUS power or do they just not work if the VBUS power is not there? It's a HUGE difference.

I'm definitely not the best source.

I have recently played with USB cables, where I could decide to power/or not to power the VBUS line. However, I did not find a single DAC or DDC that worked without at least some power on the VBUS. Or...I'm confused entirely what the VBUS is. I was playing with the idea of using a clean VBUS power source (i.e. battery) to see how it sounded, if it improved the sound going into the DAC or DDC, bypassing the likely noisy power coming from a laptop.

Do you know of a DAC or DDC that works without VBUS power?

May 25, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #3,238 of 4,588
I'm definitely not the best source.

I have recently played with USB cables, where I could decide to power/or not to power the VBUS line. However, I did not find a single DAC or DDC that worked without at least some power on the VBUS. Or...I'm confused entirely what the VBUS is. I was playing with the idea of using a clean VBUS power source (i.e. battery) to see how it sounded, if it improved the sound going into the DAC or DDC, bypassing the likely noisy power coming from a laptop.

Do you know of a DAC or DDC that works without VBUS power?

I don't keep track but there are DACs that do not require there be power on the Vbus line. Products like the Booster Vbus Isolator are made for the express purpose of removing power from the Vbus line.

https://www.sbooster.com/sbooster-tweaks/sbooster-vbus-isolator

May 26, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #3,240 of 4,588
All these years? Windows 7 is how old? No problem on Windows 10. Drivers install automatically. They did get it right after all these years.

The fact the drivers install automatically on Windows 10 has nothing to do with buggy zip compression support in the OS and that it was never patched. Windows 7 is still around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back