Grado modders go Magnum
May 5, 2017 at 1:38 PM Post #4,397 of 4,994
I just got a set a little earlier this week and the was no foam tape with mine either, but I have a large roll (50 feet) that I got from McMaster-Carr. (part # 8694K112). I think it was approx. $5 plus shipping.

May 14, 2017 at 11:11 PM Post #4,398 of 4,994
May 31, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #4,399 of 4,994
It's been a while since I have been able to post since late 2015, due to a job change and various issues. But during that time I was able to finish three sets of Rhydon's V6s with different wood cups. I posted much of the following over on the Emotiva site in response to a thread where a guy had a $1000 budget and was looking for a set of headphones. I thought I'd drop in here and touch base with it, and as I have time, I'll try to catch up from where I left off on page 252 or so, lol Seems theres this version 7 I need to find out about...

From the Emotiva post...

A road less travelled, but a lot of fun....

First of all, I agree with Keith; there's nothing like the holographic experience of good electrostats. I still vividly remember hearing "Yellow Brick Road" on a pair of stats a Nashville studio musician had in his home thirty years ago. They remain my high-water-mark reference standard. As Keith points out, you can get a set of Koss stats for about $600, an incredible sonic bargain viewed from that perspective. The down side of electrostats is you are pretty much regulated to a fixed listening position, with mobility minimized.

A couple of years ago, I got interested in headphones as a far more cost effective and versatile way of achieving high end sound for minimal cost. I own, or have owned, several respected headphones, some of which are considered best buys in their peer group, era, or price point. But as with all things audio, I found the law of diminishing returns becomes quickly evident, as well as the proliferation of esoteric BS.

Emotiva innately understands this phenomenon, and is very carefully strategic in positioning their products at the point at which cost and benefit cease to be linear, and past which cost (and BS) rises exponentially relative to quality. Since most Emotiva buyers are I think attracted by this core strategy, I thought some here might enjoy a slightly different approach to headphones.

I've also found with audio that in many cases past a point there is not necessarily a "correct" solution, but rather application of the most effective mix of inevitable engineering tradeoffs to a specific environment or situation. And largely it becomes simply a matter of personal preference. Not unlike selection of the "best" wine for a given meal.

So after listening to a number of headphones in search of some that offered stat's listening experience with portability, I quickly found that I could heard differences, but often just couldn't say which was "better". And I found that there was not necessarily any correlation between cost and quality. And that you often just trade off one priority for another.

One headphone solution that offered a similar sonic experience in some ways to electostats, at a very modest cost, while being very portable, are the often-recommended Grado SR80. I began to look at ways of modding them to improve them, and that search led me to discover that companies offer upgrades to the various component parts of headphones in the Grado physical format. You can change the headband, cups, cords, pads, etc. to your own preference. I then discovered a company call Symphones that designs their own drivers for the Grado architecture, and you can upgrade you Grados, or as I did, assemble some from scratch.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/grado-modders-go-magnum.576717/ Lots of good info there.

I found that for about $300 you can build a really good set of headphones with custom cords, custom cups, which rival or exceed the best Grado's at a fraction of the cost of many peer products. I ordered custom cords ($50-100), as well as custom wood cups ($90-150), through Etsy vendors, and ordered the drivers from Symphones (about $100). For the headband, you can either use a set from a used or inexpensive set of Grados. or as I did, you can order a replacement headband for Sony MDR Studio phones for about $30-35. They have the added benefit that they fold up, and also have the words "Studio Monitor" stamped on them, which of course makes the headphone have immediate street cred, panache, and automatically sound better.
cool.png
The hardest thing about assembling the headphones is soldering the cord to the printed circuit board on the drivers which can be tricky unless you have a very low wattage iron. But if thats an issue, one of the Etsy wood cup vendors will actually assemble your phones for you for a nominal charge.

Another interesting thing I found was that because the headphones are so close in proximity to your very sensitive hearing, the material in the cup, as well as the geometry and dimension of the cups, can have a profound effect on the sound. There are two schools of thought on this. One is that the cups should represent an inert platform in which to house the drivers. The other recognizes that all materials and structures resonate at some level, and instead of fighting this phenomenon, seeks to find a synergistic solution that optimizes the entire wholistic structure. Including interaction with your head, through changing pads, and or cup geometries.

In the same way that guitarists have a preference for the subtlety with which choice of wood and choice of pickups can affect a guitar's sound, I've have enjoyed experimenting -no, playing -
grin.png
with trying different drivers and wood cups to see what effect changing these things has on the sound.

I currently have four sets of Grado based phones. One set is the very affordable ($100) and often-overlooked Allessandro Music version, essentially Grado SR80's tweaked to Allessandro specifications. I also bought three sets of Symphones drivers, as well as the Sony headbands, and identical cords for each. So then the only variable among the three (other than manufacturing tolerances for the drivers) is the type of wood used.

I selected cocobolo wood for one set, a dense wood often used to make clarinets and piccolos. Another set uses mahogany, a lighter less dense wood often revered by guitar makers for preserving harmonics. The third set is of rosewood, a little more dense than the mahogany, but not nearly as dense as the cocobolo. I very much enjoy hearing the difference in these headphones.

The cocobolo would likely be considered by many to be the most accurate of the bunch, and enjoy a more extended high end, and also low bass on the other end of the spectrum. Sound stage is as though you are on the front row witnessing the performance live.

The mahogany have a much more rich and detailed midrange and warmth in the bass, but lose a slight bit of high end extension. Soundstage is such that you are in the middle of the performers rather than observing them.

The rosewood offers the best high end of the bunch and excellent overall balance across the spectrum, and delineation between instruments in the mix.

Frankly, I can't say that any are my favorite, I enjoy each for their respective strengths. I often listen and compare the same cuts on each just to get a different perspective on the artists and musicians' work. It's also been fun for others to listen and compare them. Its fascinating to see how each wood lends certain qualities to the sound.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 1:56 AM Post #4,400 of 4,994
Hey everybody - just wanted to post my first build with the Symphones V8! I had ordered the V7, was told there was going to be a delay, then today the V8 arrived at my door, didn't even know it existed.

Anyway, shout out to @fleasbaby for the black limba inner sleeves and Rhydon for the excellent V8 drivers.

Other parts include:

Stock Grado spring steel band and rod blocks
Mod House Audio black leather headband
Aluminum gimbals from Ebay (link)
Acrolink OCC silver plated copper cable, litz braided
Oyaide 3.5 mm rhodium-plated right-angle connector
Low-profile Grado Prestige Series cups
Steel mesh

I know some people might not be fans of the plastic ear cups, but I really like the look of the old school, low profile Grados, so I wanted to do a build in that style while maintaining the sonic benefits of a woody. I'm really happy with how they turned out! Very lightweight, comfortable, sound clear, articulate, and well-balanced. This is my first experience with a Symphones driver, so I cannot make any comparisons to previous models unfortunately.

Here are some pics, thanks for checking it out!

20170729_120950.jpg 20170729_121006.jpg
20170729_121019.jpg 20170729_121032.jpg 20170729_121747.jpg
20170729_135741.jpg
DSCF3892.jpg DSCF3896.jpg20170729_160450.jpg

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #4,401 of 4,994
So I've spent about a week with the V8's and just wanted to get some quick thoughts out there on how they sound.

First off, this is my first Symphones driver, so I don't have any baseline to compare them against, just my fleet of mid-tier headphones. I am also not one to do lengthy, detailed reviews and attempt to make absolute claims. Again, just comparing to the other headphones I own.

To my ears, these are a mostly neutral headphone with some mid-range emphasis. The first thing that jumped out to me with the V8's though was how tight and clean the bass and sub-bass was. But after a week of listening, I think their defining feature are their detail/clarity. As far as these traits go, the V8's are the best that I own at the moment. They reveal a texture in the music that my other headphones cannot match. I've also found the instrument separation to be very, very good.

A quick anecdote, I listen to a lot of ambient and drone music, and there is one specific song that I have found is very difficult to get right on a pair of headphones: Tim Hecker's "The Piano Drop" from his album Ravedeath, 1972 (if you do not enjoy dissonant music, stay away!). The first minute of this song just has so much going on, lots of texture, sub-bass, and most headphones just cannot keep all of that detail in line without it turning into a muddled mess. But the V8's can! They maintain all of the texture of the piece without it becoming a sound wall, it's pretty incredible.

Anyway, in short, I think these are very detailed, neutral to mid-range emphasized driver with excellent instrument separation and clean, tight bass. They are my daily drivers at the moment and I am extremely happy with them! If anybody has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #4,402 of 4,994
@L0rdGwyn, how do the Magnum V8 compare to your Nhoord Red V2 in terms of extension of lows and highs?
And how do the mids compare to the HD6XX that you also own?
I've heard @fleasbaby Magnum V7 build and it was really really good, very close to my RS2e (slightly modded w/ generic G-pads), but I actually prefer my original Ypsilon build since its just a touch more dynamic sounding compared to the slightly warmer Nhoord Red V2.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #4,403 of 4,994
@DavidA in terms of extension, I would say the reach in both directions is very similar. The differentiator though I think is the character. Like I said, I think the bass on the V8 is very clean and accurate, which to me makes it feel more prominent. Another difference between the two that I've noticed (and it's hard to say how much this is influenced by the RS1 cups vs the low-profile Prestige series cups) is the closeness of the image. With the V8's, the sound is feels closer to the ear, and as a result, the sound stage feels smaller than the Nhoords, but the image is more centered. With the Nhoords, it's almost as if the drivers have been pulled half an inch away from your ear, it gives the impression of a wider sound stage, but the image is less centered, more spread from left to right. I know many people have said that the midrange in the Nhoords is a bit recessed, and that is obvious switching from one to the other. I wouldn't say it is necessarily a bad thing, it gives the Nhoords a more laid-back feel, and is beneficial for artists/recordings that have emphasized vocals that can become fatiguing with time (I'm looking at you Joanna Newsom).

In terms of the midrange comparison between the HD6XX and the V8, I enjoy both very much. They feel very full and detailed, great for vocals especially. But again, because the character of the two headphones is so different it is a difficult comparison to make. The HD6XX has that very lush, smooth sound, which also affects the midrange, making it a very relaxed, laid-back listening experience. The character of the V8 is more clear, resolving that the HD6XX, so the midrange is a bit more "chiseled", which makes for a more detailed listening experience, but certainly not as laid-back. I wouldn't call it fatiguing, but it brings out the texture and detail much more than the Sennheisers, if that makes sense. I know many people have described the HD650's as being "veiled", and I can see why someone would think that listening to these two headphones side by side, but I think it's just a matter of preference.

I'm very curious about how the Ypsilon/Epsilon stand up to the V8 and Nhoord. I'd probably go for the R1, but I'm finding it hard to pay double the price for a driver that cannot be twice as good.

Anyway, hope that helps! I'm still relatively new to these types of comparisons, so let me know if you need any clarifications.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #4,404 of 4,994
@L0rdGwyn , that is a great comparison and agree that the style of cup has some influence in the sound. I have 2 Red v2 drivers but in different style (RS / GS) and different wood (mahogany / walnut) cups and there is a small but noticeable difference between the two. The most noticeable difference is the GS style cups has a wider but more coherent sound stage and the mids are just a touch more forward than the RS style cup.

The Ypsilon R1 is tuned very different, closer to the RS2e, great treble and bass extension but can seem a little bass lite to some and while they are fairly efficient they sound better when I use an amp, the sound is just a touch fuller making it more musical sounding to me. Agree that the R1 is not worth double the price but if you compare it to the RS2e then I think its fairly priced since you are getting a refined and very clean sounding driver that is better extended in the highs and lows compared to the RS2e.

Aug 5, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #4,405 of 4,994
@DavidA interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind for my next build, thinking I should try a different style of cup than the RS1 for comparison, either the GH1 or GS1000. I think I will eventually pull the trigger on the R1, my curiosity is going to get the better of me, ha! And when you put it that way, it does sound fair. I am no basshead, and clarity/refinement/cleanliness are much more important to me. Perhaps an R1 build with GH1 style cups...I'm liking the sound of that :)

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #4,406 of 4,994
@DavidA interesting, I'll have to keep that in mind for my next build, thinking I should try a different style of cup than the RS1 for comparison, either the GH1 or GS1000. I think I will eventually pull the trigger on the R1, my curiosity is going to get the better of me, ha! And when you put it that way, it does sound fair. I am no basshead, and clarity/refinement/cleanliness are much more important to me. Perhaps an R1 build with GH1 style cups...I'm liking the sound of that :)
I went with RS style cups from Elleven Acoustica so it may have made them a good match for R1 driver. Might want to go to the Ypsilon thread and see what other style cups others have used for the R1. I know there are 2 that made some Audeze size cups so they could use the headbands and ear pads from a LCD series headphone.

Aug 14, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #4,407 of 4,994
@DavidA in terms of extension, I would say the reach in both directions is very similar. The differentiator though I think is the character. Like I said, I think the bass on the V8 is very clean and accurate, which to me makes it feel more prominent. Another difference between the two that I've noticed (and it's hard to say how much this is influenced by the RS1 cups vs the low-profile Prestige series cups) is the closeness of the image. With the V8's, the sound is feels closer to the ear, and as a result, the sound stage feels smaller than the Nhoords, but the image is more centered. With the Nhoords, it's almost as if the drivers have been pulled half an inch away from your ear, it gives the impression of a wider sound stage, but the image is less centered, more spread from left to right. I know many people have said that the midrange in the Nhoords is a bit recessed, and that is obvious switching from one to the other. I wouldn't say it is necessarily a bad thing, it gives the Nhoords a more laid-back feel, and is beneficial for artists/recordings that have emphasized vocals that can become fatiguing with time (I'm looking at you Joanna Newsom).

In terms of the midrange comparison between the HD6XX and the V8, I enjoy both very much. They feel very full and detailed, great for vocals especially. But again, because the character of the two headphones is so different it is a difficult comparison to make. The HD6XX has that very lush, smooth sound, which also affects the midrange, making it a very relaxed, laid-back listening experience. The character of the V8 is more clear, resolving that the HD6XX, so the midrange is a bit more "chiseled", which makes for a more detailed listening experience, but certainly not as laid-back. I wouldn't call it fatiguing, but it brings out the texture and detail much more than the Sennheisers, if that makes sense. I know many people have described the HD650's as being "veiled", and I can see why someone would think that listening to these two headphones side by side, but I think it's just a matter of preference.

I'm very curious about how the Ypsilon/Epsilon stand up to the V8 and Nhoord. I'd probably go for the R1, but I'm finding it hard to pay double the price for a driver that cannot be twice as good.

Anyway, hope that helps! I'm still relatively new to these types of comparisons, so let me know if you need any clarifications.

By your preference, how would you order your DIY headphones from most preferred to least?

Aug 14, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #4,408 of 4,994
Sometime around the beginning of this year, I contacted fleasbaby with idea to build 4 pair of headphones with the 4 different drivers. Took a while to make the 4 pair of cups (Paduak RS1 clones and they're beautiful, @fleasbaby is very talented) and source the parts and then a little longer to burn in and listen. I built them as close to exactly the same as I could, less of course the drivers. I burned them all in for 50 hours each, using the same playlist (10 hours a day for 5 days). I took care not to listen to any of the headphones before they were all done burning in, so as not to color my impressions.
Without going into all the technical details and the whys and wherefores I thought the Epsilon R1 were clearly (pun intended?) the best. Whether or not they are 2X better are a matter for your own ears and your own pocketbook. The Symphones V. 7 were very, very good as well and I would not hesitate to recommend them as an upgrade. The Nhoords Red V. 2 were also very good, though different. As a matter of fact, I listened to these first and after I put them on and listened I was almost convinced I wouldn't even have to go any further! But I did. The Ypsilon S2 were my least favorite. I found them way too "forward" and almost painful to listen to. I also listened to an unmodded pair of SR325i as a control and to my mind they fell somewhere between the Nhoord and the Ypsilon.
Again, this is all my own opinion. Yours of course, may differ.
I hope this helps. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them by private message as time allows.

File Jul 22, 4 44 28 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #4,409 of 4,994
@BrianKT, agree with you about the Ypsilon R1 as being the best, but mostly on a technical merit. For some of my friends who have listened to my R1 build its like a HD800, to clean and technical. Most seem to like the Red V2 as a good / great all arounder but to me the Magnum V7 that I got to audition from @fleasbaby was impressive also and quite similar to my modded RS2e.

Aug 14, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #4,410 of 4,994
By your preference, how would you order your DIY headphones from most preferred to least?

Well, I only have three DIY/modded builds at the moment, with a couple woody Grado builds in the works :). I typically don't say I prefer one over the other, I like to have a large selection of headphones with different sound signatures that I can match to different types of music. BUT, if I had to rank these three, I would put them in the following order:

Symphones V8 > Nhoord Red V2 > T50RP MKIII (Mayflower mod variation)

That isn't to say the Nhoords aren't great, I really enjoy them and I find them to be a more warm, laid-back listen, which definitely suits my mood at times (particularly now since I have been listening to a lot of dub/reggae and I think they work really well for it). I mostly use my T50RP's for gaming since the way they have been modded makes them super comfortable. But right now, the V8's are the first pair I grab, in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back