Good news, i don't have a question, but did I make the right answer?
Jun 21, 2017 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

uniman4

New Head-Fier
So no questions here, I just want to know if I made the right answer!

I run the PA/Sound and everything else pretty much for a large local high school baseball team. They actually use the college field of a division 3 college in town, really nice field. Really nice except one thing, their audio system, mainly the speakers, are not great.

What they use is a Bogen receiver/amp, which i think is ok (still no power amp tho!), and then TWO laughable JBL indoor/outdoor speakers that i think probably cost $300 at most. They are on the sides of the pressbox. This is what they use for a pretty large outside baseball venue (laughable i know). The mic connection sounds fine. Which actually got me thinking about this stuff to begin with.

I obviously use digital music, ipod/iphone, but have went to jriver and a laptop recently as i would like to switch to in game software at some point. Well, this system, just keeps sounding worse and worse. Even like a little wind will mess it up. Get more mad each year. Sometimes it doesn't sound HORRIBLE, but in my eyes, its unacceptable. I even know the athletic director of the college real well, still just get the run around there. Football team has a new 250K scoreboard tho... of course.

I was just going out of the headphone jack into RCA for YEARS. Just sick of it, wondered if their was ANYTHING I could do to make it sound even a bit more decent on my end. Thought the mic sounds good, which got me thinking maybe try plugging into the XLR instead?

So i did research, the craziness of AI,DI, and DAC's of course. A buddy of mine had a couple old DI's, so i decided to try it. U know what? It sounded i think, quite a bit better! Actually had more power, cleaner sound. I mean, overall to me still crummy, but still better.

So, after some more research, I decided to pull the trigger and get the radial USB pro, one of the best supposedly for this type of stuff.

I know i can only do so much, but just wanted to ask if made the right decision? So many different options, i know the focusrite i highly thought of, and so are a lot of others! DAC's, DI's, AI's? Perhaps just gone with the dragonfly usb thing? I don't know, i just pulled the trigger on this one I guess. Laptop is just a crappy lower end HP, but i don't think the sound card has been a major problem. Maybe a TINY bit worse sounding than an ipod, but hardly much difference.

So, did i make the RIGHT decision? If i DID make the right decision going with the DI, did i waste my money on this one? Should have just went with the $50 peavy or something? I do no recording, i play the drums. haha. So this is all its for, maybe hook it up to home stereo if i am bored enuf in the offseason.

I just wanted to do what I could do. Thanks! I appreciate any advice/feedback from you good folks. Glad i have found this forum! I have already read a lot on here, thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Really nice except one thing, their audio system, mainly the speakers, are not great.

What they use is a Bogen receiver/amp, which i think is ok (still no power amp tho!), and then TWO laughable JBL indoor/outdoor speakers that i think probably cost $300 at most.
Unless the speaker is clipping or has obvious distortion, I doubt getting a power amp will help much. Either way, if the speakers are bad in the first place no amp is going to magically fix that.

Well, this systematic, just keeps sounding worse and worse. Even like a little wind will mess it up.
You need a wind screen for the mic then.

I was just going out of the headphone jack into RCA for YEARS. Just sick of it, wondered if their was ANYTHING I could do to make it sound even a bit more decent on my end.
So long as you're sending a proper line out signal and have a good DAC then it's fine.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 4
Good news, i don't have a question, but did I make the right answer?

So no questions here, I just want to know if I made the right answer!

Uhhh...those sound like questions. Anyway...

I run the PA/Sound and everything else pretty much for a large local high school baseball team. They actually use the college field of a division 3 college in town, really nice field. Really nice except one thing, their audio system, mainly the speakers, are not great.

What they use is a Bogen receiver/amp, which i think is ok (still no power amp tho!), and then TWO laughable JBL indoor/outdoor speakers that i think probably cost $300 at most. They are on the sides of the pressbox. This is what they use for a pretty large outside baseball venue (laughable i know). The mic connection sounds fine. Which actually got me thinking about this stuff to begin with.

I obviously use digital music, ipod/iphone, but have went to jriver and a laptop recently as i would like to switch to in game software at some point. Well, this system, just keeps sounding worse and worse. Even like a little wind will mess it up. Get more mad each year. Sometimes it doesn't sound HORRIBLE, but in my eyes, its unacceptable. I even know the athletic director of the college real well, still just get the run around there. Football team has a new 250K scoreboard tho... of course.

I was just going out of the headphone jack into RCA for YEARS. Just sick of it, wondered if their was ANYTHING I could do to make it sound even a bit more decent on my end. Thought the mic sounds good, which got me thinking maybe try plugging into the XLR instead?

So i did research, the craziness of AI,DI, and DAC's of course. A buddy of mine had a couple old DI's, so i decided to try it. U know what? It sounded i think, quite a bit better! Actually had more power, cleaner sound. I mean, overall to me still crummy, but still better.

So, after some more research, I decided to pull the trigger and get the radial USB pro, one of the best supposedly for this type of stuff.

I know i can only do so much, but just wanted to ask if made the right decision? So many different options, i know the focusrite i highly thought of, and so are a lot of others! DAC's, DI's, AI's? Perhaps just gone with the dragonfly usb thing? I don't know, i just pulled the trigger on this one I guess. Laptop is just a crappy lower end HP, but i don't think the sound card has been a major problem. Maybe a TINY bit worse sounding than an ipod, but hardly much difference.

So, did i make the RIGHT decision? If i DID make the right decision going with the DI, did i waste my money on this one? Should have just went with the $50 peavy or something? I do no recording, i play the drums. haha. So this is all its for, maybe hook it up to home stereo if i am bored enuf in the offseason.

I just wanted to do what I could do. Thanks! I appreciate any advice/feedback from you good folks. Glad i have found this forum! I have already read a lot on here, thank you!

You're sending a cleaner, higher voltage signal to the amp using the DACs' line out, which is the proper starting point. If that's not enough you'll really need to get a new amp and maybe speaekrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back