Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
May 23, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #10,261 of 12,070
If anyone is interested, here is what I have to say and think about the TH-X00 (Mahogany) after owning it for around a year: http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/05/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-mahogany-Review.html
It's written in German but there should be a Google translator widget in the navigation/header bar that should provide a halfway understandable translation into English.

DSC03519-small.JPG

May 23, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #10,262 of 12,070
For those looking for replacement pads for the TH-X00, I've found that the ZMF Eikon pads work well, with little change in the sound that I can discern. There might be a tiny bit less bass, but that is easy to imagine. The Eikon pads fit a little loosely, but not bad, and won't come off.

I made some attenuation rings out of plastic laminate to try out with the Eikon pads.
fn6s5
http://imgur.com/a/fn6s5 So far, I can't tell much difference. At least I got the holes to line up correctly compared to the holes in the Eikon pads.

May 23, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #10,265 of 12,070
Dekoni pads are back on Massdrop!

Might get the fenestrated version. Read a few responses from those who got it last round. Seems positive so far.

May 23, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #10,266 of 12,070
Ay boys.

As a D7000 owner...the Dekoni pads are a must. If you like bass, get them with the attenuation ring. I picked up a set of the sheepskins with attenuation ring in the last drop and god damn I love these pads like a brother.

In fact, I'll be ordering 3 more sets. One regular sheep (just to have one a few years down the line of the current pair wear out like my original pads did), one of the fenestrated, one for my Kennerton Vali's and one for my Mad Dogs.

That's how highly I think of these pads right now.

And welcome to the Denon/Fostex family all the new buyers. My favorite headphones ever, and I've owned quite a few. Only these remain as daily drivers.

May 23, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #10,267 of 12,070
Didn't take long for me to find I didn't like the Dekoni TH-900 pads on the TH-X00 that came in from Massdrop... not because of the sound (which is fine with the attenuator ring) but because of their fitment. Way too loose on the head, the headphones feel like they are going to slide right off, I don't think stock SHP9500's ever felt this loose. The small circular holes are also not that great for comfort... actually less comfortable than stock style. Now I'm convinced circular pad openings are not ideal unless the inner diameter is HUGE and the thickness is more substantial. I know the pads on the K7XX were fine and they had a huge round opening that was on the shallow side.

I just went ahead and ordered the ZMF Ori pads that I've been wanting to for a while: I know those will be comfortable because they are the same dimensionally as my current J-money pads.

If anyone has small ears and the stock TH-X00 has a tight grip on your head that you want to lessen let me know...

Can you instance a pic about the J-money pads? All pictures I can find for the J-money appear nothing like the Ori, and also I found this post about the two pads not being comparable in terms of sound signature...

May 23, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #10,268 of 12,070
Ay boys.

As a D7000 owner...the Dekoni pads are a must. If you like bass, get them with the attenuation ring. I picked up a set of the sheepskins with attenuation ring in the last drop and god damn I love these pads like a brother.

In fact, I'll be ordering 3 more sets. One regular sheep (just to have one a few years down the line of the current pair wear out like my original pads did), one of the fenestrated, one for my Kennerton Vali's and one for my Mad Dogs.

That's how highly I think of these pads right now.

And welcome to the Denon/Fostex family all the new buyers. My favorite headphones ever, and I've owned quite a few. Only these remain as daily drivers.
Full Lawton mod?

May 23, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #10,269 of 12,070
Those of you with Eikon pads, how did you get them to fit?
They're huuuuge!

My impression from the reviews is that the Ori pads are larger. I mounted mY Eikon pads on Pom Plates from Full Compass with the Dekoni tuning plates between the pad and Pom Plate on the THX00 Mahogany and they feel and sound outstanding. I also have the Pilot Pad installed to soften the headband cushion. This is by far my favorite configuration. Since installing the tuning plates, I can't stop listening to them. They add that subbass response without mudding up the mids. More impact, more texture, and it's truly over ear, it's a winner. I have the PH out of loan to a friend so I can't comment on those BUT I can say with the Mahogany in current configuration, it makes me much less likely to buy the TH900. It adds that sub bass that was missing that the TH900 still delivers in more quantity. I also got a chance to test the TH900 with the original THX00 pads, now that's an experience!

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 1:34 AM Post #10,270 of 12,070
My impression from the reviews is that the Ori pads are larger. I mounted mY Eikon pads on Pom Plates from Full Compass with the Dekoni tuning plates between the pad and Pom Plate on the THX00 Mahogany and they feel and sound outstanding. I also have the Pilot Pad installed to soften the headband cushion. This is by far my favorite configuration. Since installing the tuning plates, I can't stop listening to them. They add that subbass response without mudding up the mids. More impact, more texture, and it's truly over ear, it's a winner. I have the PH out of loan to a friend so I can't comment on those BUT I can say with the Mahogany in current configuration, it makes me much less likely to buy the TH900. It adds that sub bass that was missing that the TH900 still delivers in more quantity. I also got a chance to test the TH900 with the original THX00 pads, now that's an experience!

Right, ok. I bought both the Eikon and Ori pads on massdrop and they shipped in the same box with no indication of which is which. I just assumed the Eikon were the larger diameter ones.

So you say the larger ones are the Ori pads? These don't fit really well do they? A very gentle pull makes them slip off the mounting ring...

May 24, 2017 at 1:46 AM Post #10,271 of 12,070
Hey guys need some help repairing these. I put some weight on one side and it broke. I was always afraid this was gonna happen. Here's a pic:
20170524_014325_HDR.jpg

The problem is there's a spring on that pin so it when i push it down it springs back up before the glue can dry.

May 24, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #10,272 of 12,070
Full Lawton mod?
No. Level 1 + pads. I swapped the Lawton pads off (surrendered a little too much bass for me personally.

May 24, 2017 at 4:13 AM Post #10,273 of 12,070
No. Level 1 + pads. I swapped the Lawton pads off (surrendered a little too much bass for me personally.
Yesh Lawton pads will remove some bass. Also while on the go it allowed a bit more leakage.

May 24, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #10,274 of 12,070
Right, ok. I bought both the Eikon and Ori pads on massdrop and they shipped in the same box with no indication of which is which. I just assumed the Eikon were the larger diameter ones.

So you say the larger ones are the Ori pads? These don't fit really well do they? A very gentle pull makes them slip off the mounting ring...

Eikon Pads Measurements from ZMF website:

Outer Dimensions: 4.3" Diameter
Ear Cavity: 2.83 x 2.007 in (72 x 51 mm)
Tallest height: 1.00"
Shortest Height: 3/4"

Ori Pad Measurement from ZMF website:

Outer Dimensions: 4.1" Diamater (104mm)
Ear cavity: 2.75 x 2 in (70 x 50 mm)
Thick angled side: 1.15" (29mm) Thin Angled Side: .8" (22mm)

I believe these are the previous Omni pads by ZMF and @VRacer-111 had commented these are nearly identical to the J Money pads which are no longer available.

Oval Ear Pad Dimensions from ZMF website:

Outer Dimensions: 4.5" x 4" Inner Dimensions (earhole): 2.875" x 2.175"
Thick angled side:
1.5"
Thin Angled Side: .75"

I think these are the cowhide variety (come in lambskin and protein leather as well) that can be slightly thicker with cowhide.

Alpha Pad Dimensions from Mr Speakers website:

Outer: 4.25″ long x 3.75″ wide
Rear: 1.5″ tall
Front: 0.75″ tall
Ear Hole: 2.5″ tall x 1.75″ wide, 1.6″ deep at back of ear

I haven't tried the Ori so can't comment on fit. I recall what I liked about the Eikon is that they are more shallow. I have the Alpha Pads and they are deeper which I felt increased the V response too much and killed bass impact but I need to revisit these with the Dekoni attenuator rings. In any case, when you said larger, if you were referring to OD and not thickness, then I may have misled you. I was trying to recollect from memory before looking up the information.

Last edited:
May 24, 2017 at 2:47 PM Post #10,275 of 12,070
Ok... Eikon pads are larger in diameter and are more flat that Ori pads. Then it is really the Eikon pads that I have a hard time fitting on the TH-X00...
For me, it simply doesn't work. They feel loose and move every time I put the headphones on or take them off, so fit is not consistent.
Did I get larger than usual earpads? I might post some pictures when I get the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back