Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Apr 24, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #10,141 of 12,086

Since you live in Sweden and Massdrop doesn't ship outside of the US, your best bet is to post a WTB (Wanted To Buy) request for the pads in the For Sale / Trade Forums.

If that doesn't work, I did some research and discovered that Fostex makes two similar earpads that look identical to the TH-X00 pads but have different part numbers and prices.

The EX-EP-50 are for the TH-500RP and the EX-EP-61 are for the TH-610.

The Adorama page claims that the EX-EP-50 pads are for both the TH-500RP and the TH-X00, but I don't know if that is accurate.  Perhaps someone here knows for sure?

EX-EP-50    http://www.fostex.jp/products/ex-ep-50/    https://www.adorama.com/ftexep50.html     Price: $80/pair

EX-EP-61    http://www.fostex.jp/products/ex-ep-61/    https://www.adorama.com/ftexep61.html     Price: $70/pair

Sorry if this has been answered already, but do the Massdrop TH-X00 pads have the built-in ring like the stock ones, or do I have to buy the attenuation rings so I can attach the pads to the plates?

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #10,142 of 12,086
I've just recently ordered these from Massdrop and can't wait to finally get my hands on them.
Quick question regarding replacement ear-pads though, I've recently ordered some replacements for my Denon AH-D2000's but does anyone know if the same pads would fit on the Fostex TH-X00?

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #10,143 of 12,086
  I've just recently ordered these from Massdrop and can't wait to finally get my hands on them.
Quick question regarding replacement ear-pads though, I've recently ordered some replacements for my Denon AH-D2000's but does anyone know if the same pads would fit on the Fostex TH-X00?

Yes, exact same attachment and fitment as with the Denon's (because those Denon's ARE Fostex headphones). I'm running aftermarket pads I got for my AH-D2000's ~8 years back on my TH-X00's and I've run the stock D2000 pads on the TH-X00 before.

Any pad for a Denon DX000 series headphone will be a direct fit for any Fostex TH series headphone.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #10,145 of 12,086

Sorry if this has been answered already, but do the Massdrop TH-X00 pads have the built-in ring like the stock ones, or do I have to buy the attenuation rings so I can attach the pads to the plates?

​The TH-X00 pads have the attenuation rings stitched onto the back of the pads, but they also must be mounted to plastic mounting plates that have 4 prongs.  It is the mounting plates that attach the pads to the earcup.  Neither stock or aftermarket pads come with the mounting plates. 

I recommend picking up a second pair of them since it makes swapping/comparing pads much quicker and easier.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/272657-Fostex-1412552460    

FYI, the listed price is only for 1 plate, so if you want a pair of them, be sure to order 2.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #10,146 of 12,086

Since you live in Sweden and Massdrop doesn't ship outside of the US, your best bet is to post a WTB (Wanted To Buy) request for the pads in the For Sale / Trade Forums.

If that doesn't work, I did some research and discovered that Fostex makes two similar earpads that look identical to the TH-X00 pads but have different part numbers and prices.

The EX-EP-50 are for the TH-500RP and the EX-EP-61 are for the TH-610.

The Adorama page claims that the EX-EP-50 pads are for both the TH-500RP and the TH-X00, but I don't know if that is accurate.  Perhaps someone here knows for sure?

EX-EP-50    http://www.fostex.jp/products/ex-ep-50/    https://www.adorama.com/ftexep50.html     Price: $80/pair

EX-EP-61    http://www.fostex.jp/products/ex-ep-61/    https://www.adorama.com/ftexep61.html     Price: $70/pair

TH500RP pads are identical to TH-X00 ones according to previous discussion. TH610 ones have slightly larger opening.

Which ring and which plate do you mean? (here we go again
tongue.gif
)
The Dekoni TH-X00 pads come with no attachment at base price, only the pads; plus $8 for a pair of attenuation plates for a most near-stock sound signature.
You always have to use the existing mounting rings in your stock pads to attach new pads to the headphone. No aftermarket manufacturer offers the rings as far as I know. (But there are distributors which you can buy the official ones from)

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:13 PM Post #10,147 of 12,086
I just changed the wording in my post from 'mounting ring' to 'mounting plate' to avoid any confusion.  Sorry about that.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #10,148 of 12,086
TH500RP pads are identical to TH-X00 ones according to previous discussion. TH610 ones have slightly larger opening.

Which ring and which plate do you mean? (here we go again:p )
The Dekoni TH-X00 pads come with no attachment at base price, only the pads; plus $8 for a pair of attenuation plates for a most near-stock sound signature.
You always have to use the existing mounting rings in your stock pads to attach new pads to the headphone. No aftermarket manufacturer offers the rings as far as I know. (But there are distributors which you can buy the official ones from)

I just changed the wording in my post from 'mounting ring' to 'mounting plate' to avoid any confusion.  Sorry about that.

Pad-swapping these is too expensive, lol. I learned that the hard way when I had to purchase those rings for about $22, on top of the price of the Ori pads.

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #10,149 of 12,086
Pad-swapping these is too expensive, lol. I learned that the hard way when I had to purchase those rings for about $22, on top of the price of the Ori pads.

​I agree!  Paying $50-$100 a pop for something that might even be worse that the stock pads is no fun.  But after hearing (and owning) Dekoni's pads for myself, I became a believer.  Which is why I just bought one pair each of the velour and fenestrated sheepskin pads.
biggrin.gif

But damn, those fenestrated sheepskin pads are pricey! 
blink.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #10,150 of 12,086
Yeah, I bought the Dekoni sheepskin and velour pads plus attenuation ring for the price of the fennerated sheepskin pads!  

But, if it's any consolation, Focal is now selling replacement pads for Elear and Utopia, which are $150 adn $250 respectively!

Apr 24, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #10,151 of 12,086
Originally Posted by cskippy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But, if it's any consolation, Focal is now selling replacement pads for Elear and Utopia, which are $150 adn $250 respectively!

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:30 PM Post #10,152 of 12,086
​I agree!  Paying $50-$100 a pop for something that might even be worse that the stock pads is no fun.  But after hearing (and owning) Dekoni's pads for myself, I became a believer.  Which is why I just bought one pair each of the velour and fenestrated sheepskin pads. :D

But damn, those fenestrated sheepskin pads are pricey!  :blink:  

After many tries I've had to conclude their pad's ear holes are just too small for comfort for a bigheaded lug like me. Wanted to do the same as you. But I have two sets of Dekoni lambskins I don't use, so... :frowning2:

Apr 24, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #10,153 of 12,086
After many tries I've had to conclude their pad's ear holes are just too small for comfort for a bigheaded lug like me. Wanted to do the same as you. But I have two sets of Dekoni lambskins I don't use, so...
frown.gif

​As has been mentioned before, you should consider trying a pair of Dekoni's TH-900 pads.  They have a much larger, round opening.  But how they affect the TH-X00's overall SQ is unknown to me.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #10,154 of 12,086
​As has been mentioned before, you should consider trying a pair of Dekoni's TH-900 pads.  They have a much larger, round opening.  But how they affect the TH-X00's overall SQ is unknown to me.

I used to be a MrSpeakers flat pad fan: well, I still am and go back and forth. But I'm liking both the ZMFs Massdrop recently sold even better; this is a busy thread so my recent comments are pretty buried many pages back already :wink:. The ear hole is sort of diamond shaped.

The much larger ear hole of the th900 pad scares me it'll reduce the bass too much for my liking. The MrSpeakers pads and ZMF pads are much larger than stock with multi hour comfort, without the ear hole being too large.

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #10,155 of 12,086
I used to be a MrSpeakers flat pad fan. But I'm liking the ZMFs Mass drop recently sold even better. The ear hole is sort of diamond shaped. That rally large ear hole of the th900 pad scares me it'll reduce the bass too much for my liking.

​I just noticed in your signature that you own a HE1000.  You're done, son! 

IMO, those are the best sounding TOTL headphones on the market right now.  Why even mess with anything else?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back