Fostex TH900 MkII
Jul 14, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #451 of 1,500
Is it possible to buy an extra plastic locking ring for the ear pads? I'm worried that I'll loosen the stock ear pads too much from taking the ring in and out.

Was listening to Hidden Orchestra's latest album with different the ear pads. Stock pad is definitely suited more for reference listening, and the Black pad for more fun listening (was too boomy).
I want 4 aswell.

Jul 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #452 of 1,500
Just wanted to say, Hidden Orchestra kicks ass :)

Haha. I actually just discovered them a few days ago. Really need to find more reference music like Hidden Orchestra that will really make these bass headphones shine.

Jul 22, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #454 of 1,500
How is the comfort on these cans? Can anyone compare them in that regard with the MrSpeakers Aeon or Sennheiser HD 600?

Thanks.

Haven't tried the Aeons on, but I will say that all the Fostex closed backs are very comfortable. I have a bit above medium sized head, it sits extremely comfortable. It weighs more than the HD 600 but clamps considerably less. I would say that the only headphones I could call "more" comfortable for me was the HD 700s because of their low clamp and light weight (on the unit I tried, at least). But really, sitting with the TH 900 on for hours and hours and hours is absolutely no issue. Very very comfortable - Really, that is something it seems everyone can agree on.

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #456 of 1,500
Yeah, now having looked at a few reviews now I have seen nothing but praise for their comfort.
20170719_113526.jpg

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #458 of 1,500
Wow that's a lot of TH900! How does the stock sound compare to the Lawton upgrades?
I like both the stock and lawton. Just a slight change on the Lawton.

Jul 22, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #460 of 1,500
Good to know, thanks!

Another question: how is the durability? I'm considering picking up a used or manufacturer refurbished pair. Is it likely I'll run into problems doing this?
I use three of these on the go. Which means I have them on while: walking, on the train, jumping on a bus, and catching a taxi.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #462 of 1,500
I like both the stock and lawton. Just a slight change on the Lawton.

May be a little off topic but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Lawton tune-up with pads on my THX-00 PH's.
I'm thinking the sound value on these versus the TH 900 will be very close. What's the slight sound difference with the Lawton pads? Is it worth it to get the pads? I'm not having them touch the cups and only getting the driver tune-up as many have said messing with the cups takes away a lot of the bass impact. If it's off topic, please beg my pardon and delete.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #463 of 1,500
May be a little off topic but I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the Lawton tune-up with pads on my THX-00 PH's.
I'm thinking the sound value on these versus the TH 900 will be very close. What's the slight sound difference with the Lawton pads? Is it worth it to get the pads? I'm not having them touch the cups and only getting the driver tune-up as many have said messing with the cups takes away a lot of the bass impact. If it's off topic, please beg my pardon and delete.

I really don't think the th-x00 and the th 900 are comparable headphones. They sound completely different.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #464 of 1,500
I really don't think the th-x00 and the th 900 are comparable headphones. They sound completely different.

Yeah I guess you're right. Just not sure about the pads and not willing to pull the trigger and waste my money. Thanx for response and setting me straight.

Jul 23, 2017 at 11:35 AM Post #465 of 1,500
Yeah I guess you're right. Just not sure about the pads and not willing to pull the trigger and waste my money. Thanx for response and setting me straight.

This is like the most unreliable info ever but my friend purchased a lawton modded D5K and he swapped back to the original pads because he felt the lawton pads were too sibilant. Me personally I really don't like modding headphones.. I think a pad change can be benificial but generally speaking I trust the engineers behind the headphone before some random people on internet message boards - so I prefer to keep things stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back