Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Jul 19, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #15,256 of 18,758
DamageInc77, Stock is my fav. I only tried two other kinds of pads. Well those Denons were not built in Japan. Hope the Fostex ate built better. At work I toss my TH900 in my back pack or slide them in plastic container I midded to fit my hp into. I just bought two pairs of stock pads.
20170719_171844.jpg
20170719_171906.jpg

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #15,258 of 18,758
I ordered a pair of TH-610 stock pads to try them out, but delivery time is 2-3 months from the Danish Fostex distributor.
Let us know how work out ?

Jul 19, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #15,259 of 18,758
I swapped my TH 900 pads for my Denon AH-D5000 pads just for funsies. Not sure if I notice a difference.. I'd say maybe a bit less aggressive highs, but.. hmm. I really don't like messing with the stock product. Anyone done this, what findings did you have?

EDIT:

swapped them back, and noticed I have torn off some of the outer layer on the stock TH 900 pads. God F"#% damnit, why did I do this stupid $h1t
give it more time to notice the deference .
I dont have the Denon pads , but from the look , it is very close to the TH-X00 pads , in general with smaller pad opening
you should get more bass , less sound stage or some times better mids or less high's or you could get congested sound , it depends ,
other factors effect also ,, like the fabric mesh material used , thick or light mesh , in the Lowton pads it is thick , in Stock / Dekoni pads it Is light
foam density & distance between your ear and the driver , if foam is old , squishy , it will lead to smaller distance or vise versa ,
attenuation ring , shape of the opining , etc....

I hope you torn off the inner part , man i swapped mine 100's times ,, never got any problem ,,
i would freak out if i was you :)

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #15,260 of 18,758
I ordered a pair of TH-610 stock pads to try them out, but delivery time is 2-3 months from the Danish Fostex distributor.
I ordered them last year from USA store , it took them 4 months , to say after that it is discontinued,,
Original 610 pads are hard to get , luckily i ordered a pair before 10 days from here : https://www.adorama.com/ftexep61.html
and its now available , they have international shipping .

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #15,261 of 18,758
Jul 19, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #15,262 of 18,758
I ordered them last year from USA store , it took them 4 months , to say after that it is discontinued,,
Original 610 pads are hard to get , luckily i ordered a pair before 10 days from here : https://www.adorama.com/ftexep61.html
and its now available , they have international shipping .
50 USD for international shipping + customs in Denmark. I think I'll just wait the few months.

Jul 19, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #15,263 of 18,758
50 USD for international shipping + customs in Denmark. I think I'll just wait the few months.
i used a forwarding service ,, shipping was 19$ for me ,, but it take 1 week longer to get ,,

if you don't mind , how much you pay for customs ? is this for every thing you buy out of Denmark ?
sorry for asking , i am just curious because here in my country we don't pay customs for personal shopping if it in low quantity.

Jul 19, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #15,264 of 18,758
If it is from outside the EU, customs need to be paid. How much depends on the item category and value. Back in May I ordered two tubemonger socket savers for 56 USD. When they arrived in Denmark, I had to pay around 12 dollars import tax and 40 dollars "handling & processing" fee. So my order went from costing me 56 USD to 108 USD. And in the end, it turned out that I didn't even need the socket savers as I had moved from tube amp to solid state while they were still in the post. So I only ever order things from outside the EU if I have absolutely no other option.

Jul 19, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #15,265 of 18,758
If it is from outside the EU, customs need to be paid. How much depends on the item category and value. Back in May I ordered two tubemonger socket savers for 56 USD. When they arrived in Denmark, I had to pay around 12 dollars import tax and 40 dollars "handling & processing" fee. So my order went from costing me 56 USD to 108 USD. And in the end, it turned out that I didn't even need the socket savers as I had moved from tube amp to solid state while they were still in the post. So I only ever order things from outside the EU if I have absolutely no other option.
shiiit that almost double the price ,, at least you live in a place with other options ,,
here in saudi arabia ,, we dont have market for this kind of hobby so all (not some) of my gear i buy it online.
i hope you get your pads earlier than expected ..

Jul 22, 2017 at 6:47 AM Post #15,268 of 18,758
shiiit that almost double the price ,, at least you live in a place with other options ,,
here in saudi arabia ,, we dont have market for this kind of hobby so all (not some) of my gear i buy it online.
i hope you get your pads earlier than expected ..

It is strange that there is no market since in Saudi you cannot play music publicly... One would think it would be the other way around :O but maybe people don't listen to music in Saudi as much as elsewhere. I work with some Syrians and they only listen to folk music nothing else lol

Jul 22, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #15,269 of 18,758
It is strange that there is no market since in Saudi you cannot play music publicly... One would think it would be the other way around :O but maybe people don't listen to music in Saudi as much as elsewhere. I work with some Syrians and they only listen to folk music nothing else lol
major part of the problem is not because you cant play music in public , its because past 30 or 50 years there was ( and still a lot believe it ) extreme religious law forbid music except in very rare situations, like marriage party , so people don't take it as serous hobby , this is why Saudi ear is still developing and it is in early stages, thankfully now the society is opining to more balanced islamic teachings regarding music & other aspects of life specially with the internet and ease access to knowledge for Young's.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #15,270 of 18,758
TH 900 brotherhood, I need your assistance! :)

I was looking for a pair of headphones to compliment my TH 900s (a tad more laid back, mid focused). I have a loaner HPDX1000 and while it sounded really good, the TH 900 is simply just superior in so many ways and they sound a bit too similar. On top of this, the guy selling the hpdx1000 are asking for 495$ for a very old unit (#766 production number) that is tired and showing many signs of its old age. So, I will not be purchasing it.

BUT, and this is where you guys come in..

I want to purchase either a HD600 or a Burson HA 160. My current dacamp outputs 2.5V RMS which is a bit light on the bass and might not really drive the HD600 too well. So I'm thinking purchasing the amp is better. I could also just purchase both I guess. But yeah.. Thumbs up on getting a better amp to complement the excellent DAC?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back