Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 10, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #15,031 of 18,759
Any recommendation for having a bigger earpads on TH900/TH600?

The biggest that would fit are the Stax 007 pads and the Audeze leather pads.
You can also try ZMF pads (Eikon, Ori, etc).
Lawton pads are also bigger than original Fostex.
Dekoni pads are smaller.

IMHO none of these pads sound as good as the original Fostex pads, except perhaps the Stax (but that sounds with less bass as well).
Some of them claim they sound better, but they don't.
Also, in modded form the Fostex pads are the best sounding ones.

Accept that Fostex pads are good :). If you want bigger leather pads that are going to last a decade or more, buy the Stax.

Last edited:
May 11, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #15,032 of 18,759
Can I use those ear pad rings on the TH900 MK1? I have those rings on the TH900MK2. All I do with the ring is press and turn and the pads are on the TH900 MK2.

May 11, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #15,034 of 18,759
@zolkis , thanks. I never removed the pads from the stock TH900 MK1. The TH900 MK2 had the Lawton Level 1 Mod so on the one I just turned the pads to the left and the pads easily came off. Glad to know I can buy a pair of the rings for the stock TH900 MK1.

May 11, 2017 at 10:01 PM Post #15,036 of 18,759
In what way? I took them out many times and all good.

May 12, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #15,037 of 18,759
Have anyone tried Fostex premium replacement pads from this eBay seller ? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Premium-Replacement-EarPads-Cushion-Pads-FOSTEX-TH610-TH500-TH900-Headphones-/252489431664

I bought a TH610 replacement pair to fit my TH900 and it is completely amazing sound now. At first sight, it looks more of a TH-X00 pad without swollen foams inside, allowing the user to be closer of the drivers without ears to touch them.
Compared to stock original TH900 pads, it now has globally even more soundstage and instrument separation, while almost being in a 3D sphere (totally a brand new sensation from stock pads).
Also, it has slightly less bass and allows mid-mids and high-mids to express much more and cut delicately and very slightly the “annoying” high freqs (details are still there without being annoying anymore. A total refinement), allowing global TH900 sound experience and brings it to another level. Details are still there, It’s now perfect headphones to me.
With these pads, you guys can understand easily that TH900 definitely does not lack mids at all (quite the contrary).
I listened all genre of musics and didn’t found any fail in any yet. Very impressive.
Totally recommended to give a try (moreover for 25$, definitely worth a try). Really would like to see some people opinions about these pads.
Also, comfort compared with stock is excellent, maybe even better than stock. Can listen to it for many hours without any sign of harm neither warm.

I tried recently original TH610 pads into my TH900 with ring earpiece, and I found sound much worse than stock: bass is emphasizing, not allowing mids to explain fully and are totally covered by bass, have also lost much of details. Soundstage got worse also, it’s like listening mono instead of stereo. And finally confort is not nice at all. Definitely not recommended.

Sorry for my English, tried my best :)

Hope this helps!
Cheers’

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #15,038 of 18,759
@subwoof3r , Do they isolate better than stock ?

May 12, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #15,039 of 18,759
May 12, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #15,040 of 18,759
Make a search on your preferred ebay site. Here is another example for the same thing. I will buy and measure one.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/PP-1-Pair-Re...art-for-FOSTEX-TH900-Headphones-/282314320571

It looks very much like the Denon D7200 pads, but it must be bigger, since the Denon pads don't fit the TH900 (but the Fostex pads do fit the D7200). Will compare all of them.

So far, with every pad I have tried, they had less bass than the TH900 pads, and they don't improve the mids notch much, but since bass is less, the perception is there are more mids. Measurements show little difference in the mids, but quite much in the bass, treble, impulse response, CSD, which indicate sound differences. Oval shape opening helps preventing some interferences, so it's a good thing.

The problem of most pads is the internal filling (very measurable differences). In the worst case I will change the internal filling in these pads to carbon foam, but they are a bargain for this price.

Last edited:
May 12, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #15,041 of 18,759
out of stock :frowning2:
Yeah, unfortunately, when I ordered my TH610 pair, there was only 1 in stock (was mine hehe), I guess the seller sometimes prefer to set low stock to get people to order, so don't hesitate to give a check everyday (maybe twice a day if possible, we never know!).

Make a search on your preferred ebay site. Here is another example for the same thing. I will buy and measure one.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/PP-1-Pair-Re...art-for-FOSTEX-TH900-Headphones-/282314320571

It looks very much like the Denon D7200 pads, but it must be bigger, since the Denon pads don't fit the TH900 (but the Fostex pads do fit the D7200). Will compare all of them.

So far, with every pad I have tried, they had less bass than the TH900 pads, and they don't improve the mids notch much, but since bass is less, the perception is there are more mids. Measurements show little difference in the mids, but quite much in the bass, treble, impulse response, CSD, which indicate sound differences. Oval shape opening helps preventing some interferences, so it's a good thing.

The problem of most pads is the internal filling (very measurable differences). In the worst case I will change the internal filling in these pads to carbon foam, but they are a bargain for this price.

Thanks for your message, will be very pleased to read your measurements, I'm confident! :)
The other ebay link you shared seems different from my pads, they looks more swollen than my pair (I don't think it will sound the same as I'm feeling).
Here is the exact picture/product I choosed: http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4MIAAOSw5cNYcaGd/s-l1600.jpg

I think I know why I didn't enjoyed original TH610 pads, I guess it was probably due to the unremovable plastic ring into them, maybe it removes frequencies to explein?
On my chinese pads thee is no such of this, it's like the original TH900 pads. They set perfectly into the O fixing ring (I'm talking of this).

Cheers'

May 13, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #15,045 of 18,759
The Fostex TH900 MK2 feel different when wearing than the Denon AHD 2000. Not sure if they are more comfortable or less. Weird.

Seem to have the same amount of sound isolation.

But not same sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back