Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Apr 15, 2015 at 8:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,017

Sopp

100+ Head-Fier

Fostex is displaying new RP headphones, model T20RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T50RPmk3 at Pro Light & Sound in Frankfurt, Germany and NAB in Las Vegas, USA this week. The new headphones feature the refined Regular Phase driver optimized for professional studio monitoring as well as improved ear pads and head pad. More details will follow in due course.

http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/products/New_RP-Series.shtml

The new RPmk3 series headphones are successors to the reputed RPmk2 series that have been used as reliable monitor headphones in many professional recording studios for more than 30 years including from the start of the T-series.  The driver unit incorporating the key Fostex proprietary Regular Phase (RP) Technology diaphragm has been refined to achieve sharper audio reproduction for more accurate monitoring.  The housing, ear pads and head pad have also been re-designed to derive the maximum performance of the RP driver.

T50RPmk3
Driver:    Regular Phase (or Orthdynamic)
Impedance:    50 ohm
Sensitivity:    92dB (at 1kHz, 1mW)
Frequency Response:    15Hz – 35kHz
Maximum Input Power:    3000mW
Cable:    Detachable 1/4” Stereo Phone (3m) and Stereo Mini (1.2m)

http://www.fostex.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/T50RPmk3n_Release.pdf

T40RPmk3
Driver:    Regular Phase (or Orthodynamic)
Sensitivity:    91dB (at 1kHz, 1mW)
Frequency Response:    20Hz – 35kHz

T20RPmk3
Driver:    Regular Phase (or Orthodynamic)
Sensitivity:    92dB (at 1kHz, 1mW)
Frequency Response:    15Hz – 35kHz
Weight:    315g

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 2,017
popcorn.gif

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #4 of 2,017
Doesn't look like they've fixed that lame snaplock cable connector though...

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 2,017
On a closer look, they added some woven sleaving over the wire between the cup and headband.  In all my T50RP modding I've never ha one of those wires break on me but more reinforcement is probably a good idea anyway.  Of course the big question is how much did they change the drivers...

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #11 of 2,017
  What the heck does "refined regular phase" mean?
ph34r.gif

HA! I was wondering that for the past day. It could be simply a descriptor for their drivers like have always been in there, or something telling us they are tweaked a bit. Did they not tweak the TH500 drivers a bit more I forget, maybe they are using that series now?

Going to be interesting to see. Tyll or someone with pull needs to ask for us.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 2,017
If Fostex can re-tune the T50RPmk3 to have a relatively flat FR, these could be something special (for their low price)!

But more than likely, the 'mk3' version will probably just be an upgrade to their cosmetics and comfort.
redface.gif

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #14 of 2,017
  If Fostex can re-tune the T50RPmk3 to have a relatively flat FR, these could be something special (for their low price)!

But more than likely, the 'mk3' version will probably just be an upgrade to their cosmetics and comfort.
redface.gif

I was just talking about the price of these and what another user and I think it will be. 

assume that the upgrades to these drivers are probably something similar to what Mr. Speakers is already doing with the Prime's drivers. I doubt Fostex would overlook somebody claiming to improve the drivers that they are manufacturing by the masses, especially if those modifications could save on supplies/labor.

As for price, they cannot be as cheap as the current MK2 now that they have a leather/pleather covered headband and additional plastic pieces to hold that fabric there, the wire going through the headband is not sleeved so that will increase the price, the "Fostex" name being printed in color will up the price a little, and the upgraded ear pads. 

Now, they do have a base rate that they can expect them to sell at since they have already had 2 versions of these same headphones come out, so they can produce them at a certain bulk; more being sold, the higher quantities they can buy supplies at, lower rates. 

They can't sell them anywhere near the EL-8/TH500RP price, or they may not sell them at all because they will be in a higher tier and there are more options for the same quality sound, and they won't be as appealing to the modding community. They can't be too cheap or the profit won't be high enough. Which brings me to my estimated price:::::: $179 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back