Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jun 28, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #3,886 of 20,554
Utopia is an extraordinary Headphones, and especially with the nowadays pricing from hifiman. I don't know why but I would pick Focal as a brand any day at any given time than HFm....

I don't want to bag on Hifiman too bad as I've never owned one, but the HPs I heard at shows we're meh to repulsive for me. HE1K was nice but for the money I would go for Utopia or something else. HE1kv2 IDK. They always have build/quality issues from what I read. Their new $6K HP just made me LOL. Even if I could afford it (and I spent more than that on my amp+tubes)... just no. I thought about writing something to try and enter their give away but then I decided not to try. Anything gushy I tried to write wouldn't have been genuine and I think they probably should go to someone more needy or passionate about the brand...

Hindsight is 20/20 right? If I had waited I would rather have picked up a used Utopia. Then again had I waited and with all the drama lCD4 vs Utopia I probably would have bet on Audeze TBH. The reason I skipped the LCD4 is I already have the XC which is fantastic and I love those too. If I have lust/curiosity towards anything else it's probably the Abyss Phi... Otherwise I think I'm done (with the caveat I reserve the right to change my mind)...

Jun 28, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #3,887 of 20,554
So my local dealer graciously let me take the Utopias home for a couple of weeks.
Initial impressions-I'm not wowed (yet). Tonally they sound very nice but listening to Fleetwood Mac "Songbird" I heard some sibilance in the vocal and the precise imaging I was expecting is not there at this point.
I'm thinking there could be two things at play here why I'm not wowed (yet), it's possible they don't have enough hours on them (most likely), i forgot to ask him, or the Vega I'm using is not a good match, it can be a tad bright anyway.
I'm also using an Aries and Woo WA5 LE (old version).
I really want to love these, but at this point they don't clearly beat my HD800 with Sonarworks (to my ears).

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #3,888 of 20,554
So my local dealer graciously let me take the Utopias home for a couple of weeks.
Initial impressions-I'm not wowed (yet). Tonally they sound very nice but listening to Fleetwood Mac "Songbird" I heard some sibilance in the vocal and the precise imaging I was expecting is not there at this point.
I'm thinking there could be two things at play here why I'm not wowed (yet), it's possible they don't have enough hours on them (most likely), i forgot to ask him, or the Vega I'm using is not a good match, it can be a tad bright anyway.
I really want to love these, but at this point they don't clearly beat my HD800 with Sonarworks (to my ears).

Maybe 1 of 2 things going on. 1st is possibly a headphone such as the Utopia just isn't your cup of tea. 2nd and more likely there is something in your chain that isn't acting right. Notes are: no headphone has the exaggerated sound stage the 800/800s have. Since your WA5 which typically is a warm sweet match maybe it's got a weak tube or 2. In any case while I am not in contest with your impression, what you're describing doesn't sound like the description of any Utopia I've ever heard and I've heard lots of them .....seriously LOTS of them.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Jun 29, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #3,891 of 20,554
Maybe 1 of 2 things going on. 1st is possibly a headphone such as the Utopia just isn't your cup of tea. 2nd and more likely there is something in your chain that isn't acting right. Notes are: no headphone has the exaggerated sound stage the 800/800s have. Since your WA5 which typically is a warm sweet match maybe it's got a weak tube or 2. In any case while I am not in contest with your impression, what you're describing doesn't sound like the description of any Utopia I've ever heard and I've heard lots of them .....seriously LOTS of them.
Well, I just took a break and now they're sounding a lot better, must be my ears weren't "acclimated" to their sound signature. I also think they probably didn't get very many hours at the shop. How many hours do you think they need, Jason?

Jun 29, 2017 at 3:14 AM Post #3,892 of 20,554
Well, I just took a break and now they're sounding a lot better, must be my ears weren't "acclimated" to their sound signature. I also think they probably didn't get very many hours at the shop. How many hours do you think they need, Jason?

2 weeks non-stop = 14 x 24 and they stop breaking in for sure

Jun 29, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #3,894 of 20,554

I have the Utopia for around 3 months already and i must say that the Imaging of Utopia is the best that i have heard from a headphone system ( Previously i owned HD800, Stax SR-009 with KGSSHV 500v and auditioned a lot of Hi-End fullsize headphone). The way Utopia recreate the imaging or i would say the "stage" is very accurate with highest level of pin-point localization. I can actually feel that the instrument is right there exactly at that point. The second thing that is impressive about the Utopia is that it's the most dynamic headphone that i tried and it comes very close to a high-end speaker setup. You can try listen to my reference song: Rodrigo y Gabriela - Diablo Rojo. This song showcases the best qualities of Focal Utopia and will cause lots of problems even with hi-end speaker system.

A lot of people complaint about sibilance with headphones like Utopia and SR-009. I think you guys should take a closer look at the source of your System (AC Power, Digital Components, Cable, etc). This might be the root of the problem. Actually, Hi-End headphones such as Utopia and SR-009 is extremely detailed that's why it will reveal a lot of "error" in your system, may it be the power supply, cable, grounding, etc. Currently in my system, i have to use Nordost Sort Kone under the Macbook power adaptor and place it near the Nordost QX4 or sibilance will occur.

Here is the components that i use to drive Utopia:
- Siltech Duchness Cable for Utopia
- Macbook Pro 2014 with Audirvana Plus
- DAC: Exogal Comet Plus
- Amp: Microzotl 2 with Mullard and Sophia tubes
- Nordost QRT QX4 Power Conditioner
- Nordost Qb8 power distributor
- 3 Nordost Heimdall Power cord, 1 Heimdall RCA, 1 Frey Power Cord, 1 Vahalla 2 USB Cable
- 4 Nordost Qv2
- Nordost Sort Kone TC and AC
- Nordost Qline grounding cable and another DIY grounding cable

Jun 29, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #3,896 of 20,554
I agree with Rakan whole heartedly. I just came from a SR-009 / KGSSHV Carbon not too long ago and transitioned to Utopia / ß22 and it is spot on in terms of imaging. The great thing about this headphones is you get near the same speed as with electrostatics but what's intensely added is the once lackluster body that makes you feel like you're listening to speakers.

In the beginning my pair were "bright" but after awhile it really disappeared by a good 80-90%. The rest was removed through tweaks to the digital domain such as using a good digital to digital converter and or USB signal regeneration device like the ISO REGEN. To me amplifier has less of an impact on the treble and most of it seems to fair based on how neutral your DAC is. If I were to listen to a SABRE based DAC then the treble will be a little sharp for my liking.

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:28 AM Post #3,897 of 20,554
I've had my utopias for a while now and am completely thrilled by it.
So many people have told me that SR009/BHSE combo is on another level and quite possibly my next endeavor...
From listening to those with experience, I guess the difference is not as drastic?! In fact, many stax owners are down-sizing to these.
Do you think it is worth the experience or waste of money, not to bother?

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #3,898 of 20,554
I agree with Rakan whole heartedly. I just came from a SR-009 / KGSSHV Carbon not too long ago and transitioned to Utopia / ß22 and it is spot on in terms of imaging. The great thing about this headphones is you get near the same speed as with electrostatics but what's intensely added is the once lackluster body that makes you feel like you're listening to speakers.

In the beginning my pair were "bright" but after awhile it really disappeared by a good 80-90%. The rest was removed through tweaks to the digital domain such as using a good digital to digital converter and or USB signal regeneration device like the ISO REGEN. To me amplifier has less of an impact on the treble and most of it seems to fair based on how neutral your DAC is. If I were to listen to a SABRE based DAC then the treble will be a little sharp for my liking.

As for the transient speed, my Utopia setup is even faster than the 009. Especially, when testing with tracks like Diablo Rojo above and another track that i like is The Dark colossus destroys all from Nier soundtracks :)

Jun 29, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #3,899 of 20,554
As for the transient speed, my Utopia setup is even faster than the 009. Especially, when testing with tracks like Diablo Rojo above and another track that i like is The Dark colossus destroys all from Nier soundtracks :)

Impressive. Maybe it's just me going based on memory as I've only owned the STAX setup for a good 2 months. If I had them side by side I'm sure It would be easy to spot.
I was doing some listening sessions lately with an HE-1000V2. While the HiFiMAN does sound more expanded, it's a tad slow in comparison and has this softness to it that I didn't like. I much prefer the aggressive nature on these Utopia's over the laid back signature that some headphones have. Probably why I liked the HD800S once before due to it's forwardness and revealing nature. Those however revealed so much that it even showed how naturally hot on the treble it was. Even the revision HD800S sounded sharp. The original HD800 being extra sharp. I can't say enough, but the Utopia's are the most balanced piece of equipment I have ever heard..

How long did it take you until you were sure that you wanted to keep the Utopia's over the SR-009 and for what main reasons?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #3,900 of 20,554
I've had my utopias for a while now and am completely thrilled by it.
So many people have told me that SR009/BHSE combo is on another level and quite possibly my next endeavor...
From listening to those with experience, I guess the difference is not as drastic?! In fact, many stax owners are down-sizing to these.
Do you think it is worth the experience or waste of money, not to bother?
Many are definitely thrilled with the Utopia, I happen to be one of those in which the Utopia didn't do much for after spending a 1/2 month with the (in home) with them via my KTE Holo Spring DAC>GS-Xmk2. I do feel a properly driven 009/BHSE combo is on a completely different level, but this is just my preference. I also don't believe it's a "fact" that many properly driven Stax owners are downsizing to the Utopia either, I would say some just like owning both. I feel the cost of a properly driven Stax system is very, very well worth the reward, but it could be quite a journey, or at least it was for me. The only way to find out is to try it for yourself, if it's not for you, and you feel you prefer the Utopia, you're not going to lose much in re-sale. After all, when it gets to these levels of cost/quality, it's all a matter of preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back