Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jul 22, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #3,646 of 6,742
I'm in the market right now for a new higher end headphone and I've been leaning pretty heavily towards the Elear. From the descriptions people have given they sound like I'd really enjoy them.

My main headphone has been the HD650 (I mentioned this a little while back) for a few years now, and I really like the fact these are described as being dynamic or punchy but also somewhat relaxed. I really like the laid back sound of the HD650 (I'm not crazy about big or bright treble). It's nice that these are a bit easier to drive as well in comparison to other headphones in this price range. Still a few things to consider before I go ahead with buying anything, but I'm heading in the Elear's direction right now for sure.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,647 of 6,742
What confuses me about the HD650 comparisons is that my HD650s (black grill, old style) are super laid back and not engaging, whereas I hear so many reports about how engaging the Elear is.
I may be able to shed a bit of light on this question:
I have a MA900 that by many said to sound very similar to the HD650, with similar strength and weaknesses on most parts, and what separates it mostly from the Elear are: it's driver speed, force of impact on its bass, and amount of treble detail, all three aspect if combined totally eliminates the laid back nature of the Sony that I love, from first listen I immediately think that the Elear demand my attention when listening to music with it, Unlike the MA900 that I can really just put on and listen for hours and hours without basically any fatigue (both on neck and ear) putting me to a slow mood, sitting on a comfy chair with it is great,
While still, when viewed as a whole it does still retain a similar sound signature, just a different way of delivering it I guess?
Mind you, the three aspect I mentioned IS an upgrade ( a big one in fact) in their sound,but, for what I'm looking for in this relaxed mood, the Elear just won't be that headphone.

How dynamic the driver is can kinda make it goes great for my usual dose of acoustic music, but then the less comfortable fit, long cable and big size plus restrictive, fussy earcups that always spring back to place... hrmmm... not my first choice.

As you can see this is a very subjective impression, but hey, I hope it still helps... somewhat.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #3,648 of 6,742
So I think I'm settled with getting the Jot to amp the Elears. Anyone heard or come across impressions of the Elear paired with a Gumby? Also if there's any info on how the Gumby compares to the Bimby, it would help me out.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #3,649 of 6,742
So I think I'm settled with getting the Jot to amp the Elears. Anyone heard or come across impressions of the Elear paired with a Gumby? Also if there's any info on how the Gumby compares to the Bimby, it would help me out.
As far as I know, Schiit's multibit dacs are known to be a little smooth, warm, "organic". I currently use a Mimby, which I love. However I prefer a slightly leaner-sounding dac with the Elear, which is why I went for a Chord Hugo. But obviously that's just my preference.

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #3,650 of 6,742
I'm in the market right now for a new higher end headphone and I've been leaning pretty heavily towards the Elear. From the descriptions people have given they sound like I'd really enjoy them.

My main headphone has been the HD650 (I mentioned this a little while back) for a few years now, and I really like the fact these are described as being dynamic or punchy but also somewhat relaxed. I really like the laid back sound of the HD650 (I'm not crazy about big or bright treble). It's nice that these are a bit easier to drive as well in comparison to other headphones in this price range. Still a few things to consider before I go ahead with buying anything, but I'm heading in the Elear's direction right now for sure.
Good luck in your search! Just scream out if you have any more questions.

Jul 23, 2017 at 3:59 PM Post #3,651 of 6,742
if you're interested in giving them a second chance. And burn them in of course, if you haven't already. I feel like mine were quite veiled when I got them, but they brightened up a bit and got that snappiness after burn-in.

Hey @makne what is the consensus for time it takes to burn the Elears in?

Also, any idea where the best deal on a new or used pair of pads for them is?
TIA

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #3,652 of 6,742
Hey @makne what is the consensus for time it takes to burn the Elears in?

Also, any idea where the best deal on a new or used pair of pads for them is?
TIA
varies a lot it seems, some very reputuable people says they need like 200 hours++... I feel like mine brightened up a bit only after 50h pink noise, they sounded a little dull and veiled out of the box. I'm pretty sure it wasn't placebo either, because I demo'd them and they sounded amazing, bought a new pair that sounded dull, and after 50h burn-in they sounded like I remembered from the demo.

I think most/all focal retailers should be able to sell you pads, they're really expensive though (150$ ithink). Haven't seen anyone selling used ones.

Jul 23, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #3,653 of 6,742
varies a lot it seems, some very reputuable people says they need like 200 hours++... I feel like mine brightened up a bit only after 50h pink noise, they sounded a little dull and veiled out of the box. I'm pretty sure it wasn't placebo either, because I demo'd them and they sounded amazing, bought a new pair that sounded dull, and after 50h burn-in they sounded like I remembered from the demo.

I think most/all focal retailers should be able to sell you pads, they're really expensive though (150$ ithink). Haven't seen anyone selling used ones.

Thanks!

Jul 24, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #3,654 of 6,742
Thanks for all the suggestions here. I ended up getting the Elears, Jot, and Gumby with Schiits XLR stack cables. Completely blind bought so hope all turns out well lol. Should be a massive upgrade over my current AKG701/heed canamp/pc integrated dac. I just need a good XLR cable for the Elears. Anyone know of a good one? I need about 4m length like the stock cable.

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #3,655 of 6,742
Thanks for all the suggestions here. I ended up getting the Elears, Jot, and Gumby with Schiits XLR stack cables. Completely blind bought so hope all turns out well lol. Should be a massive upgrade over my current AKG701/heed canamp/pc integrated dac. I just need a good XLR cable for the Elears. Anyone know of a good one?
Massive upgrade yeah! The Jot is worthy of the gumby imo, great amp. I think it's a great match with the Elears!

As for cable, I'm gonna order one from Forza audioworks, they've made Elear cables for someone else on here who were very pleased with it. Ursine audio makes cheap, good cables too, and can make cables for Elear if you ask them.

Jul 24, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #3,656 of 6,742

I think you'll find it the best decision you've made on a 1k pair of hp's I sure did, Their sq is so sweet hard to put down..enjoy

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #3,657 of 6,742
I'm extremely happy that I got the Elear because at the time I was leaning towards the LCD-2. Now 8 months later I couldn't be more pleased with them. I feel like my headphone search is over, at least for the next year, I hope.

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #3,658 of 6,742
I'm extremely happy that I got the Elear because at the time I was leaning towards the LCD-2. Now 8 months later I couldn't be more pleased with them. I feel like my headphone search is over, at least for the next year, I hope.

Your search is over? Is that possible? :) Good luck with that :wink:

Jul 25, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3,659 of 6,742
i went from the mrspeakers aeon, sold after five days. the first impact with elear was indifferent. after some days, i like more this headphone. i bought used for 650€ so i think that it´s a big deal. now i´m waiting for the new amp modules for my ibasso dx-200. after many headphones, i think that the elearis a really good compromise for the price. honestly i´m curious about utopia

Jul 25, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #3,660 of 6,742
Honestly, I don't think headphones get much BETTER than the Elear. Sure, you can get DIFFERENT, something that fits your preference, but something subjectively different... i don't know.

Sure, the soundstage and imaging on the Elear is not astonishing, an HD800S is far better at that. But the overall presentation of music, engagement and the ability to make one emotional... again, it's preference, my preference is the Elear

I've even heard the Hifiman Susvara, which is INSANELY good. The clarity, soundstage, dynamism... One of very few headphones I think is better than the Elear. But still, there are areas where I prefer the Elear. I'm not saying that you should buy the Elear over the 4000$ Susvara, the Susvara is obviously the technically superior 'phone, I'm just saying that at this level, it's mostly about personal preference.

What do I love about the Elear?
Well, it's a great all-rounder. To me, music through the Elear just sounds RIGHT. it's so realistically dynamic, so natural, it's easy to just get lost in the music. Tonal balance is just right to me, except for the 4k region which is a little too recessed for me. A small eq notch (3dB, 3Q at 4kHz) fixes this though.
the Elear just hits the sweet spot so well for me. I'm so happy I found it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back