Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jun 24, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #3,436 of 6,742
I use this one
cool.gif

I can't speak for fidelity, but I used that exact cable to run the Elear out of my LG V20 and my Hm901->pico power chain, I didn't find any big changes in sound and it was a very manageable cable! Really, I'd find a cable that has the function you need. An worry about what changes in sound they could make when your happy with EVERYTHING else that you own lol

Jun 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #3,437 of 6,742
I can't speak for fidelity, but I used that exact cable to run the Elear out of my LG V20 and my Hm901->pico power chain, I didn't find any big changes in sound and it was a very manageable cable!

Yeah, exactly. I sit less than an arm's length away from the source, and although the OEM cable is excellent quality, it's just too much. I've noticed no difference in sound, and if there is any, it's so slight that it's negligible.

Before seeking that one out, though, I was settled on the official Beyer T1/T5p 1.4m cable. Would've been the perfect compromise on price, quality and length but Beyerdynamic sent me an aux cable that...

Jun 24, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #3,439 of 6,742
when performing a left / right wiring check on audio check, my left cup plays sound on the right side and vice versa. So I switched the cables around and the "L" cable still plays on the right cup and the "R" cable plays on the left cup. No matter how many times I switched the cables, the L cable plays on the opposite side. Additionally, there is an "L" and "R" under the cup itself along with the "L" and "R" direction on the wire, but it doesn't matter, the wiring is incorrect. Just received these cable today unfortunately.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:12 AM Post #3,441 of 6,742
I received my silver truthseeker cables from Hivemind cables. I am very happy with the purchase.
They are light and very flexible. They sound and look amazing. I bought the 1.5 meter length with balanced termination and a single ended pigtail.
I hated the length and weight of the OEM cables.
If I ever go back to balanced, I will be covered.

Also own Hivemind cables for my Oppo PM3S. I highly recommend these cables.
20170625_070647.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #3,442 of 6,742
New audiophile wannabe here. I’ve had the Elear for about a week, running out of a Jotunheim + DAC. Is there any true audible difference running a balanced cable in this configuration? I bought the $16 short cable off of Amazon that someone posted in this forum, and frankly I can’t really tell much difference in SQ than the stock cable. Probably just a matter of me being new to this hobby, but willing to go balanced if there will be any actual improvements.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #3,443 of 6,742
Another question....I find the clamping pressure of the Elear to be fairly uncomfortable. Does this loosen up over time, or are they just a naturally tight fit? Maybe I just have a kickball head....

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #3,444 of 6,742
Another question....I find the clamping pressure of the Elear to be fairly uncomfortable. Does this loosen up over time, or are they just a naturally tight fit? Maybe I just have a kickball head....
You can stretch the headband out. Bend it (quite far, use some force but not to where you're afraid to break it) and hold for 10-20 sec. Repeat until you find it comfortable.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #3,445 of 6,742
Have anyone experimented with crossfeed on the Elears? I've used it for a couple of days in the Roon DSP center, and I quite like it. Sacrifice some soundstage width for depth, and imo a better focused center image. Sometimes feel like I lose some dynamic punch, but I'm not sure, may be a volume difference. My impression so far is that it's very enjoyable, but still don't know if I'll keep using it regularly. Any thoughts?

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #3,446 of 6,742
You can stretch the headband out. Bend it (quite far, use some force but not to where you're afraid to break it) and hold for 10-20 sec. Repeat until you find it comfortable.

Thanks! This already helps, I was just afraid to do it because I didn't want to ruin a new expensive headphone. Hopefully this will relieve some of the headaches I've been getting.

Jun 25, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #3,447 of 6,742
Have anyone experimented with crossfeed on the Elears? I've used it for a couple of days in the Roon DSP center, and I quite like it. Sacrifice some soundstage width for depth, and imo a better focused center image. Sometimes feel like I lose some dynamic punch, but I'm not sure, may be a volume difference. My impression so far is that it's very enjoyable, but still don't know if I'll keep using it regularly. Any thoughts?

Ill give it a shot tonight, I didn't realize crossfeed was available in Roon.

Are you running the Elear off a Mimby? I have a Jotenheim with internal dac, wondering if Mimby would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #3,448 of 6,742
Ill give it a shot tonight, I didn't realize crossfeed was available in Roon.

Are you running the Elear off a Mimby? I have a Jotenheim with internal dac, wondering if Mimby would be a worthwhile upgrade.
Roon released their DSP center a few months ago, crossfeed, PEQ etc., I just heard of it a few days ago. Really liking it so far, using it with TIDAL. Took some time before my brain adjusted to the crossfeed and really heard the increased soundstage depth, but now I really like it.

Yes, got my mimby only yesterday :D So far I'm loving it, way bigger upgrade than I imagined (coming from an Aune x1s, probably around Modi 2 level). Jotunheim sounds wonderful with the Elear imo, planning on buying one when my economy allows it. Heard some people call it "shouty" but I think it sounds just right. Haven't heard the Jot dac sadly, but from what I've read mimby should be a decent upgrade, almost on par with bimby. But I'm sure there are a lot of people here with more experience than me on this.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #3,449 of 6,742
New audiophile wannabe here. I’ve had the Elear for about a week, running out of a Jotunheim + DAC. Is there any true audible difference running a balanced cable in this configuration? I bought the $16 short cable off of Amazon that someone posted in this forum, and frankly I can’t really tell much difference in SQ than the stock cable. Probably just a matter of me being new to this hobby, but willing to go balanced if there will be any actual improvements.

Welcome to the hobby! I haven't tried the Elear with balanced cable, but for my other headphones the difference in sound using balanced vs. single-ended cables varies. On some (e.g. Audeze LCD-2) I prefer the balanced connection and for others (e.g. Beyerdynamic T1) I prefer the single-ended connection. I'm not surprised that you couldn't hear any differences between the cables that you tried. Personally I can't hear any differences between cables, but others can (or believe that they can) so cables is a very hot and controversial topic on these forums.

Jun 26, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #3,450 of 6,742
Welcome to the hobby! I haven't tried the Elear with balanced cable, but for my other headphones the difference in sound using balanced vs. single-ended cables varies. On some (e.g. Audeze LCD-2) I prefer the balanced connection and for others (e.g. Beyerdynamic T1) I prefer the single-ended connection. I'm not surprised that you couldn't hear any differences between the cables that you tried. Personally I can't hear any differences between cables, but others can (or believe that they can) so cables is a very hot and controversial topic on these forums.

The difference in sound won't be because of the Cable but rather design of the amp. You'll have the best performance out of the Balanced Output on a Balanced Amp. So if you amp has both connections, chances are it was designed for balanced and will have the cleanest output and better sound on that side. I'd recommend spending a week with the Balanced side, then switch back to the Single End.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back