Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Jun 21, 2016 at 3:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6,742

grizzlybeast

My name is grizzlybeast and I'm an audioholic.

FOCAL ELEAR - Impressions, Discussions​

Please share impressions here. 
popcorn.gif

Jun 21, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 6,742
Hoping to have mine within the next couple of weeks here on the east coast. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Warren also sold me on these as worth taking a chance on. Will be putting these up against a HD800 that my good friend Purk is gonna let me borrow. (He will be stuck only listening to his SR009, Sony R10 and Orpheus, lol)

Jun 21, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #4 of 6,742
Wow,

What a lucky guy to have the 800 as the weakest hp.
Mine should be here in 3 days.

What has my interest peaked most about the Elear is the same thing that has me hooked on the Vali. The Elear is said to be a snappy sounding headphone. In one review it said it if a snappy sound is your thing than the Elear may be for you.

The Vali is about the snappiest sounding dark headphone I have ever heard. It knocks, kicks, and punches with a visceral energy that has been VERY hard to find.

Jun 21, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 6,742
Hoping to have mine within the next couple of weeks here on the east coast. Can't wait to hear your thoughts. Warren also sold me on these as worth taking a chance on. Will be putting these up against a HD800 that my good friend Purk is gonna let me borrow. (He will be stuck only listening to his SR009, Sony R10 and Orpheus, lol)

You should try to convince him to have a comparison with the R10! Probably not a fair comparison, but the Elear was repeatedly described in the other thread as having rich, forward mids (a "super HD650"). Might be interesting to compare them with the king of mids!

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 6,742

You should try to convince him to have a comparison with the R10! Probably not a fair comparison, but the Elear was repeatedly described in the other thread as having rich, forward mids (a "super HD650"). Might be interesting to compare them with the king of mids!

I think at this point the R10 and Orpheus don't leave his house.  He said he'd bring his original orpheus to CanLanta if Sennheiser brought their new Orpheus (they didn't haha), but other than that, I think I would have to make a pilgrimage to his home and deliver an offering to hear the Orpheus and R10.

I am getting more and more pumped by the day for the Elear though.  Working on securing a loan of a few weeks of an HD650 to do an in depth comparison in addition to everything else I mentioned above.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 6,742
I should find a loaner hd650 myself

yeah, my guess is we're gonna get a million questions about the Elear from people hoping this is the upgrade they've been waiting for from their venerable HD650.  The HD800 is a brilliant headphone, but it's not an upgrade to the HD650, it's its own thing.  Arguably the HD650 is still the best headphone at what it does, and if this upgrades that, there will be a lot of people VERY interested.

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #9 of 6,742
  my guess is we're gonna get a million questions about the Elear from people hoping this is the upgrade they've been waiting for from their venerable HD650.

Bingo!  
smile.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 6,742

Bingo!  
smile.gif

Hey Warren, have you had a chance to put together your detailed impressions of the Elear?  Based on your brief comments, I already committed to one from our mutual friend who had a booth next to you at CanLanta, but I still want to read more to help make the time pass, haha

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 6,742
No, I haven't yet.  
frown.gif
  Work has been pretty busy in the past couple of days so I just haven't had the time.  

I'll post them here for sure as soon as I get them written up though.  
smile.gif

Jun 22, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #12 of 6,742
Could anyone comment a little more on fit?
How well does the Elear stay in place if you look around? I love the fit of beyerdynamic HP but if I look down the headband slides to my eyes... Although now that I've said this I bet I'm the only one with this problem...

Jun 22, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #13 of 6,742
  No, I haven't yet.  
frown.gif
  Work has been pretty busy in the past couple of days so I just haven't had the time.  

I'll post them here for sure as soon as I get them written up though.  
smile.gif

glad to hear business has been booming.  Can't wait!

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 6,742
Could anyone comment a little more on fit?
How well does the Elear stay in place if you look around? I love the fit of beyerdynamic HP but if I look down the headband slides to my eyes... Although now that I've said this I bet I'm the only one with this problem...

I found the fit to be top notch.  One thing they could bring from the Utopia without losing anything in the translation down to 1/4 the price is the fit/comfort.  They put a lot of research into the adjustment and pivot mechanisms and it shows.  The clamp is tight enough that they're not going anywhere but not so tight as to be uncomfortable over time (like the HD650, which I found needed to be stretched).

For more thoughts on the headphone, there's always my full review over on Audio Head.  But obviously I'm happy to answer questions in here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back