Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Jun 24, 2017 at 7:52 PM Post #346 of 544
Well, maybe one reason to knock that plan on the head would be if , after talking to retailers, they indicate they'd refuse to sell such a product. .

Even if only a few customers divert their purchase choice from a £1000 iem to a £99 iem, that's a significant loss of profit.

Jun 25, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #348 of 544
I don't think there was a miscommunication or something going on at Flare. I specifically asked for the aluminum closed version and they said no plan for it.

Anyways, really love how they're still as un-fatiguing to listen as R2, not sure what's the principle behind it but it really makes it hard for me to go and listen to my other phones. Kinda wish Flare would license the technology behind it to other manufacturers sometimes.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #349 of 544
Think the success of Isolates removed the need for an inexpensive, fast selling IEM product. The Isolates have to be far less trouble to build. No cable, driver, or assembly problems. Look how long it took to bring out the Flare Pro. Wonder if Flare would be in the crowded IEM market at all, if they hadn't done so much development work beforehand? Have my doubts. Isolates are a far easier way to make money...now. That will change. It will be very easy for companies to knock off Isolates.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:12 AM Post #350 of 544
Find all this very disappointing... What was introduced? A bluetooth box few if anyone ever asked for during the Flare Kickstarter days. And MMCX connectors. Hear nothing but bad things about these connectors when repeatedly hooked and unhooked. So I have an option of interchangeable cable ends with nothing I want to hook up.

Same here, I've found MMCX notoriously unreliable, even on TOTL IEMs like the Xelentos. IMHO it's an odd choice for a bluetooth box connector... and even if you're like me and actually welcome a wireless option, it effectively prevents you to use better third party receivers that support aptX HD or LDAC.

Won't deny that I'm curious about the new Flares, the old ones were pretty good. But these design choices remind me of my IE800, and I really don't want to go through something like that again.

Jun 25, 2017 at 7:29 AM Post #351 of 544
The Y-split MMCX is actually really low key and very light, it's hardly an issue if you never gonna use the bluetooth module like me (though that's another issue of value I guess).

I was curious and played around with the huge vents on their back, tried to close them with micropore, blue-tack and the old R2Pro's caps (with blu-tack on the edge), all of them resulted on a huge loss of dynamic, particularly the high region, like they lost all the bites. Might be an option for people who find them too bright. Very easy to do and easily reversed.

Also, I was never a big believer of burn-in but these sure feel like they benefit from one, feels like the treble gets less hotter and 'crispier'. Observed similar change with Periodic Audio BE, another beryllium driver IEM.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 9:44 AM Post #352 of 544
I'm always a little skeptical about burn-in but can definitely hear a difference in these after around 20 hours, the treble has opened up more and is showing more detail for me. The bass for me is just sublime, when a track requires a low rumble it is there and when it requires a nice tight bass response it also there. This is possibly the best bass I've heard on an IEM, don't mean that as in having the most bass but having the most detailed and refined bass.

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #354 of 544
Agree, @LuckyNat it's strange how he expressed it, specifically speaking about Flares Pro. Anyway, the question was clearly not about flare iems in general, not a pro line.
I understand your doubts, maybe someone with better english could ask them again to check it...

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #356 of 544
Clearly true, I have to turn the knob significantly more than the Vega who is already power hungry

Power
I get a sense the Beryllium driver in the Flares Pro is not terribly efficient, say around sub-100dB because the top end of the frequency response really scales very well indeed with a good quality signal from a portable amp or even some efficient desktop amps. Without a good signal or decent power, you get a slightly attenuated top end and less body in instrumental notes that some may classify as being on the bright side of things.

Jun 25, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #357 of 544
Eh I dunno, isn't it just gear matching? I have another Beryllium IEM (Periodic Be) that sounds absolutely smooth with Chord Mojo. Never heard anyone calling Mojo 'lacking power' either.

Jun 26, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #360 of 544
How much does using BT module drain battery on phone compared to wired use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back