First serious closed headohones reccomendations needed!
May 7, 2013 at 1:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

ryan2196

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just created a profile on this site so that i could find some help in picking out headphones. I listen to hard rock and metal. I like Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, FFDP etc. I also like to listen to classic rock like Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin. I originally blindly bought Beats Studios. These are terrible headphones for any genre but especially metal. I sold them, but took a loss, and I want to make sure that doesn't happen again. There are a lot of headphones that I would like to try out, but they are not in stores around me. I'm looking for closed headphones that have good sound isolation (possibly noise cancelling), don't have rediculous amounts of bass, but better mids and highs for guitar distortion and clear vocals, and that i will be able to carry around with me without having to worry about them breaking. I've been doing a lot of research on this, and have seen that the beyerdynamic dt 770 and Audio Technica M50s are both good, and seem to fit my criteria. Any Suggestions? My top dollar price is $300(the price i paid for my Beats Studios).

Thanks for the help,
Ryan2196

May 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 62
With that budget I would look at the Beyerdynamics DT770 or Custom One Pro and Mr. Speakers Mad Dogs. Maybe Ultrasone HFI 580.

May 7, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 62
Quote:
Thanks for responding! How are the mids/highs isolation, and durability of them.

Mids/Highs are good on all as is Isolation and durability. Ultrasones are a little piercing in the treble range but some users like that. The Beyers are good across the range with some serious bass. The Mad Dogs are just smooth all the way around in my opinion.

May 7, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #5 of 62
Quote:
Mids/Highs are good on all as is Isolation and durability. Ultrasones are a little piercing in the treble range but some users like that. The Beyers are good across the range with some serious bass. The Mad Dogs are just smooth all the way around in my opinion.

What do you know about the Audio Technica M50s. Are they good in the mids/highs?

May 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #6 of 62
You might get more responses if you post in the Heaphones section. This is the portables section.

May 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #7 of 62
Quote:
What do you know about the Audio Technica M50s. Are they good in the mids/highs?

Never tried them. They're generally considered overrated from what I've read. You can do better for the money that's for sure.

May 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #9 of 62
May 7, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 62
Are you located in the US? If so Amazon has a pretty generous return policy. You can try them for a little less than a month and send them back if they're not what you're looking for.

May 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #12 of 62
Quote:
Are you located in the US? If so Amazon has a pretty generous return policy. You can try them for a little less than a month and send them back if they're not what you're looking for.

Yeah I was thinking of doing that, but i've heard from some people that Amazon will block you for doing that. I think i might try that though. Also, would you reccomend that i get a Fiio to use with these headphones?

May 7, 2013 at 2:29 PM Post #13 of 62
Quote:
Yeah I was thinking of doing that, but i've heard from some people that Amazon will block you for doing that. I think i might try that though. Also, would you reccomend that i get a Fiio to use with these headphones?

I've heard that if you call them and tell them you're auditioning headphones they don't sweat the returns YMMV. If you're going to get a headphone amp I would suggest the C&C BH for $99. A killer little amp that has an 80+ hour battery and some nice settings. I have a Fiio E11 and E12 as well as the C&C but the C&C is my go to portable.

May 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #14 of 62
What's your DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back