Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot
Jun 21, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #9,946 of 15,897
Hi all,

I've been playing around with cover art in the X5 - ensuring that every album has cover art which is picked up by the player.
MediaMonkey mostly gets it done for me, or Tag Scanner. Sometimes with older CD's I have to change the source country in MediaMonkey to get the correct art. It will produce a jpg and imbed art as well if you set it up.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #9,947 of 15,897
Hi all,

I've been playing around with cover art in the X5 - ensuring that every album has cover art which is picked up by the player.

I've had the most success with an app called Cover Art Grabber (here:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mobi.infolife.itagcover ) which doesn't have a lovely interface but works the best out of the ones that I tried. However, in many instances although the app believes it has downloaded the relevant artwork, it is not picked up by the X5 (in most cases, it works fine)

Also, of the others I tried, most were unable to write to the second SD card. They tried, and they tried to guide me through the necessary operations to make it happen but it seemed that the second card wasn't being made available (even as an option for permission) although the app was clearly able to read it, since it had found the albums on there.

Wondering if anyone has had 100% success with a similar app on the X5 and if so, could you let us all know?
Maybe the answer is software for the computer which will automatically detect missing album art and download it. Then I can just disengage the SD card from the X5 and pop it into the computer. Anyone found something that works well in this scenario?

I'm thinking there's no workaround for the second SD card issue - if that's the case, I can live with it. As I've said before, most players in this price range only offer one card slot and that is a deal breaker for me, so I'll deal with any hardships in order to have that second burst of storage space!

My 2 cents would be something like MusicBee or JRiver MC. I have tried both before i transferred the music to the mSD cards and it works great. Other alternatives are Mp3Tag and Mediamonkey and also the excruciatingly painful Sony Media Go

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 1:19 AM Post #9,948 of 15,897
I remove all pics, wished I had NO pics. Just music and I dont stare at any player.

Jun 21, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #9,949 of 15,897
Thanks to everyone for sharing your apps of choice - looks like PC based is the way to go, I'm ok with that :)

Jun 21, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #9,951 of 15,897
Could somebody let me know how to get a chord mojo to work with my fiio x5 iii. I have bought various cables that are supposed to work with no luck. I must be doing something wrong!

Ah thanks but it appears that I have all the correct cables. I have set fiio to coaxial, is there anything else I'm supposed to do on the fiio?

Dear friend,

Seems you have tried many methods but still fails to help?

1. You have switch the output to coaxial out, right?
2. You are using the correct cable TRRS to TRS one, right?
3. What's the format of your songs? For DSD format, you are required to set the the spdif out to DOP from audio settings first.

Hope this help. :girl:

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 21, 2017 at 5:05 AM Post #9,952 of 15,897
Hi Fiio, are you thinking about something to speed up transfer rate Fiio <--> Desktop? I'm happy with X5, some occasional bug is not a tragedy for me. But 4 mb/s is really a little transfer rate: three hours to copy 5000 flacs..... Is there some system reason for this behaviour, or I can hope for some good news in the feature?
Dear friend,

Here is the transfer rate according to the test by our engineer:

Transfer rate depends on the data format and the micro SD card used. Using a Sandisk Class 10 SD card, the following results were obtained using the ATTO Disk Benchmark:
Internal memory &: writes 8MB/s, reads 15MB/s (approx.)
Micro SD card: writes 12MB/s, reads 15MB/s (approx.)
Micro SD card used: Sandisk Class 10
Testing app: ATTO Disk Benchmark

We may not be able to improve the transfer rate. But maybe you can use a card reader for help instead. Sorry if bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 21, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #9,953 of 15,897
I remove all pics, wished I had NO pics. Just music and I dont stare at any player.
That's what my Aune M1S and Shozy Alien+ is for me lol.
These players are so old school the inhouse built OS doesn't even support album art even if it's embedded XD.

But inhouse built also means no uncontrolled variables and Aune/Shozy has full control of their sound. No also dealing with android SRC.

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #9,954 of 15,897
Dear friend,

Transfer rate depends on the data format and the micro SD card used. Using a Sandisk Class 10 SD card, the following results were obtained using the ATTO Disk Benchmark:

We may not be able to improve the transfer rate. But maybe you can use a card reader for help instead. Sorry if bringing inconvenience to you.

Best regards

Thanks for the answer, but perhaps it was not clear what I mean.
I have the same sd card (Sandisk Class 10 200 Gb, 5000 flacs + 2000 other formats) and I have following numbers in 3 different scenarios:

- Mounted in X5 3rd -> rate to/from desktop 3 or 4 mb/sec
- Inserted in Fiio X3 I gen -> rate to/from desktop 7 or 8 mb/sec
- Using a card reader attached to desktop -> up 15 mb/sec

It sounds strange to me that X3 i gen and X5 iii gen have so different results: X3 is two times faster.... So the question could be: will X5 iii transfer rate become close to the old X3 one?
Thanks for your care.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #9,955 of 15,897
Just like to put in a good word for "dBpoweramp", I like that with 1 or 2 clicks I have ripped to any format and chosen my album art.

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #9,957 of 15,897
I know it has been touched on before, but i have been playing around with why the hardware buttons only work sometimes with third party apps. My normal usage is the fiio music app in pure music mode, but i also listen to both Pandora and Napster both online and off. I have found that the hardware buttons all work with Pandora and Napster perfectly, unless i have first listened to the fiio app in either pure music mode or android. After listening to the fiio app, only volume control works(hardware button) for pandora and napster. After a reboot all works again perfectly until i play a song in the fiio app. I wonder if there is a possible fix for this it seems the fiio app takes over the hardware buttons and does not release them until a reboot. Not a huge deal but it would be nice if there was a solution. I know this might not be on FIIO, but it seems strange that it only happens after using The Fiio app

Jun 21, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #9,958 of 15,897
Jun 21, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #9,959 of 15,897
Dear friend,

Best regards

Hi @FiiO

I have been having issues getting anywhere near that speed on SD card 1. It usually doesn't write above 1MB/s but I have no issue getting 20MB/s+ when using an SD card reader. The second SD card slot does not have this issue. I have also noticed that it takes a significant amount of time to access files on the first SD card in FiiO Music. I have also tried a replacement device and get the same issue. The cards I use are Samsung Evo+ 256GB.

Jun 21, 2017 at 9:54 PM Post #9,960 of 15,897
Xrecode is just the shiznit! (hope i got that right). I was having major issues converting flac 24/192 images into tracks and i discovered Xrecode 3 and boy for conversion IMO this is a one stop software. In the process of finally getting around to organising and recopying music to my X5 III

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back