FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #6,631 of 7,088
Dear friend,

We received the mail you sent and replied as well. Please have a checked.

Best regards
Thank you - I'll take a look at your suggestions and respond back.
Dear friend,

We received the mail you sent and replied as well. Please have a checked.

Best regards
Thank you for your assistance! Problem solved after downgrading from 2.1 to 1.7 firmware.

Jul 14, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #6,632 of 7,088
Thank you - I'll take a look at your suggestions and respond back.

Thank you for your assistance! Problem solved after downgrading from 2.1 to 1.7 firmware.
wow!
Was that the official answer from fiio support?
I might have the same problem.
Actually I gave up trying to build database using both cards (128 GB each). I also have a similar amount of songs .
I only use folder browsing although I would like to use category browsing as well.

Jul 14, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #6,633 of 7,088
wow!
Was that the official answer from fiio support?
I might have the same problem.
Actually I gave up trying to build database using both cards (128 GB each). I also have a similar amount of songs .
I only use folder browsing although I would like to use category browsing as well.
Yep - that was the official answer (they also suggested hitting factory resets and clearing the library prior to rebuilding it, making sure cards were fat32 formatted - typical stuff like that). The firmware can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl724puib3xz43e/X5II-FW1.2.zip?dl=0

Although the library is now built, it still takes a long time to browse through categories - performance is slow, probably due to all of the songs that I have. I'll probably use the file browser more often, but it's good to have the library.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #6,634 of 7,088
Yep - that was the official answer (they also suggested hitting factory resets and clearing the library prior to rebuilding it, making sure cards were fat32 formatted - typical stuff like that). The firmware can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wl724puib3xz43e/X5II-FW1.2.zip?dl=0

Although the library is now built, it still takes a long time to browse through categories - performance is slow, probably due to all of the songs that I have. I'll probably use the file browser more often, but it's good to have the library.
Isn't there user developed firmware people use that speeds things some. I stick with factory in these situations but you may be more adventurous. Also what was your artwork situation? Maybe it was the 3, but didn't people go from artwork in the files themselves to a jpeg in each folder to speed things up? Maybe that was a temporary fix I can't remember; also maybe something you wouldn't want to do either.

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #6,635 of 7,088
Isn't there user developed firmware people use that speeds things some. I stick with factory in these situations but you may be more adventurous. Also what was your artwork situation? Maybe it was the 3, but didn't people go from artwork in the files themselves to a jpeg in each folder to speed things up? Maybe that was a temporary fix I can't remember; also maybe something you wouldn't want to do either.
Yes there is. Xvortex created it, but it was based on the latest fw 2.1. If you search this thread, you can find it. I'm currently using it and have been for a few months with no issues. The UI is very responsive and quick and the theme is pretty slick with better contrast so text is very clear to read. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #6,637 of 7,088
Dear friend,

The standby current of the X5II is smaller than 5mA. The X5II can stay in standby mode for about 1 month after fully charged.

Best regards

It seems to work intermittently for me. Sometimes I pause the player and the screen blanks out followed shortly by the blue LED on the power button turning off. Other times the screen will blank but the blue LED never turns off. A reboot of the player usually fixes the issue.

Jul 20, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #6,638 of 7,088
I received my x5II a few days ago brand new one but its a dud. whenever there is a sd card present in any of the two slots the screen wont go off. screen turns black but backlight stays on and it kills the battery. Tested with 3 different sd cards, with files and blank, as soon as an sd card goes into the slot screen does not power off, it des power off when there is no sd card present,
I got mine on amazon so hopefully ill be able to get a working unit, I really like this little dap.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #6,639 of 7,088
It seems to work intermittently for me. Sometimes I pause the player and the screen blanks out followed shortly by the blue LED on the power button turning off. Other times the screen will blank but the blue LED never turns off. A reboot of the player usually fixes the issue.

Ok so looks like an issue FIIO has been aware of for some time, possibly related to using fast forward. Since we are on final firmware this will never be fixed I'm assuming? I'm still happy with the player but it's too bad since the deep sleep is one of the big features that led me to upgrade.

http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41460
http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=41388

Aug 2, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #6,640 of 7,088
Is there an official thread for the Fiio X5-3rd gen (discussions, reviews, opinions, advice, etc.)? I'm looking for one on this site - if somebody could point me in the right direction...thanks.

Aug 4, 2017 at 6:51 AM Post #6,642 of 7,088
When I use my X5ii as a dac from mac after a minute or so the audio starts cutting in and out multiple times a sec. Anyone else experiencing the same issue? If so is there a way to solve this?

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #6,643 of 7,088
Change of sampling rate disables equalizer

That's a surprising experience, also that I didn't notice it any earlier. Firmware is the latest, «definitive» 2.1. The music stored on the two µSD cards mainly consists of Flac files and some MP3s with sampling rates of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz (about 2%). (Note that I'm aware of the limitation of the equalizer to 48 kHz!) As soon as the sample rate changes from one file to the next (shuffle or continuous play), the equalizer is disabled, until it's changed to another EQ preset and back to the desired one. Anybody experienced the same? I could change the firmware to earler versions, but this would imply some work in the form of reproducing a couple of customizations. So maybe others have already found a solution to this issue? I've contacted FiiO two weeks ago and again two days ago, but got no response yet. As an interim solution I now use my first-generation X5, which fortunately sounds the same with both the Hugo₂ and the DAVE, unlike the Hugo₁ (which sounds better with X5 II and X3 II).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Another old issue is waking up from deep sleep mode. Since I use my X5 II almost exclusively at home for feeding an external DAC, it's connected to the latter via coax cable – the headphone socket is empty. In this configuration in about 20% of the cases the player won't begin to play. Other commands are accessible, just the play button doesn't respond. Plugging the coax cable into the headphone socket (or any headphone) and fast-forward a bit, followed by fast-rewind, does the trick respectively.

And before I forget: I'm rather sure that the shuffle algorithm isn't up to the task. There are so many songs that are played on a regular basis, almost at every listening session, while others are never played. Do the newer FiiO players benefit from better shuffle algorithms? It's my preferred play mode, so it's an important feature for me.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #6,644 of 7,088
Change of sampling rate disables equalizer

That's a surprising experience, also that I didn't notice it any earlier. Firmware is the latest, «definitive» 2.1. The music stored on the two µSD cards mainly consists of Flac files and some MP3s with sampling rates of 44.1 kHz and 48 kHz (about 2%). (Note that I'm aware of the limitation of the equalizer to 48 kHz!) As soon as the sample rate changes from one file to the next (shuffle or continuous play), the equalizer is disabled, until it's changed to another EQ preset and back to the desired one. Anybody experienced the same? I could change the firmware to earler versions, but this would imply some work in the form of reproducing a couple of customizations. So maybe others have already found a solution to this issue? I've contacted FiiO two weeks ago and again two days ago, but got no response yet. As an interim solution I now use my first-generation X5, which fortunately sounds the same with both the Hugo₂ and the DAVE, unlike the Hugo₁ (which sounds better with X5 II and X3 II).

Thanks in advance for any help!

Another old issue is waking up from deep sleep mode. Since I use my X5 II almost exclusively at home for feeding an external DAC, it's connected to the latter via coax cable – the headphone socket is empty. In this configuration in about 20% of the cases the player won't begin to play. Other commands are accessible, just the play button doesn't respond. Plugging the coax cable into the headphone socket (or any headphone) and fast-forward a bit, followed by fast-rewind, does the trick respectively.

And before I forget: I'm rather sure that the shuffle algorithm isn't up to the task. There are so many songs that are played on a regular basis, almost at every listening session, while others are never played. Do the newer FiiO players benefit from better shuffle algorithms? It's my preferred play mode, so it's an important feature for me.
I can't offer any help, but I don't expect FiiO to help with this since it's no longer in production. I could be wrong, but they're not responding to you.

Aug 16, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #6,645 of 7,088
Thanks! It would already help if you could reproduce it with your unit (or maybe not) – and with which firmware version.

After all one FiiO representative does post in this thread, so maybe my issue(s) get(s) officially noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back