FiiO X3 vs X1
Mar 11, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #47 of 83
One of the things I like about the X3 that sometimes frustrates me on the X1 is that the X3 has a lock switch which I like a lot but the X1 has the auto locking function that you need to push and hold a set of buttons or the power button before you can do anything and you can't turn this function off.

Apr 27, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #50 of 83
X1 is just all I need outdoor. I pair it with Hifiman RE400. The sound is really awsome.
SQ of X1 is great, but of course no compare to X3 - it has more power and wider soundstage. X3 cons for outdoor movment is its size and weight - X1 is smaller, so easier to carry. And the wheel!
I'm using X3 with Takstar Pro 80 indoor and as source via coaxial out to Behringer MS40 monitor.

May 8, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #51 of 83
Anyone compare the X1 to the new X3 2nd gen yet?

May 13, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #52 of 83
I will in a day or so. Have a X1 and my X3 2nd gen should arrive tomorrow.  Been using the line out of my X1 in my main home stereo and car the last few days.  I am wondering if I should have just got another X1 instead- so impressed with the sound.  I am anxious to see how much different (if any) I hear with the X3 2nd gen.

May 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #54 of 83
Got to play with my new x3 2nd gen. To be honest, not the difference I expected. I will have to spend more time comparing but so far the X3 is not that big of an upgrade over the X1 sound wise to me.

May 21, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #55 of 83
I gutted a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 pros and installed the elements in my motorcycle helmet. 

The sound is really great.  That is at low speeds.   Unfortunately at highway speeds the wind noise overcomes the
audio...... and for me personally I cannot withstand the volume levels it takes to over come the wind noise.

As strange as it sounds wearing ear plugs solves the problem.  But cant quite get enough volume outta phones and Ipods to overcome the ear plugs.

I realize this is a strange (and almost insane) compromise in fidelity & rationality but I guess its the price I have to pay for a short windshield and I cant come up with a better solution!
That combined with my pickyness about fidelity and volume levels - sheesh - would love to see some extreme compression for situations like mine....... anyhow..... 

Is the X1 set up properly for high impedance headphones and is the amp fairly powerful?

Thanks...............

May 23, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #56 of 83

Where did you hear that a X3 II is coming out?  I was looking to get a second X3 for my son but if a new X3 (II or Ver2) is coming out I'll hold off get the current generation X3.  I also have the X1 but with my current headphones that I use on the go, the X3 is a little better sounding and able to drive my HE-400i in a pinch (ok sound).

The current generation X3 doesn't have HARDWARE EQ. Just an almost useless software EQ that is not well implemented. Thats FiiO's worst move ever. Hidizs stick with hardware EQ (AP100).

May 23, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #57 of 83
I recently received my X1 and can report that while not nearly as easy an interface to use as any of my iPods (my favorite 2nd gen 20 gig click wheel, two 16 gig touch screen (i like how they fade to the next song with a bit of an overlap from the previous track!) Nanos and a 60 gig classic) I do like it very much.  I thought of getting a 2nd gen X3 but I have no real use for the extras right now and besides, I wanted to see what the fuss about FiiO was and the best way to do so  is the X1.

I have loaded it mp3s and am completely happy with the quality of the music.  I cannot hear any difference between mp3 and high resolution formats so I have no need nor desire to go that route.  This does not mean others cannot hear a difference but rather I cannot. 

Random play sucks.  It sucks bad.   This is perhaps my biggest complain but I also loath the way Apple does it with my two Nano touch models. My brother has a 1st gen X3 and is very happy with it   He too cannot  hear any difference in high rez and mp3 so he just loads it up with what he has that makes him happy.  Music.  I tried listening to the X1 by amping it with my FiiO E17 Alpen.   Other than the pain of having to rubber band them together there was no discernable difference  in sound quality.  That should be testimony to the X1's quality. 

I don't really listen "critically",  I listen "happily".    The FiiO X1 (and per my brother, the X3 1st gen) does just that.    I may one day upgrade but more out of habit and just the desire form the possibility of "more".  Until then the X1 is more than enough.  I do need to see if my Ford Sync recognizes it.  Maybe tomorrow.

Well done, FiiO !

May 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #58 of 83

I am so very much enjoying this DAP!  I have well over the 5,800 song "limit" on it and can state unequivocally that I like the FiiO X1 far more than my iPod Nano but still prefer my 60 gig classic (but barely!). Took a four day trip with it and having so much music that I enjoy on hand was great.  Again, well done Fiio!

Jul 31, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #59 of 83
Hi,

I'm a new member here as well to the world of Audiophiles. I have ordered the Fiio X1 and have a decent collection of FLAC files to go along with it. For the purpose of portable earphones, I have used RHA MA 600 and Rock Jaw Alpha Genus V2 till now. I'm looking for a portable over the ear headphones in the budget of 300$ which would help me in listening to more details. I listen to varying genres and a lot of instrumentals. What could be my possible options?

Thank You.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back