FiiO Q5, Flagship DAC/Amp, an Dual DAC, USB/Optical/Coaxial/Line in, share the same amp module with X7.
Mar 26, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #916 of 3,173
FiiO Q series will be listed three products Q5 Q3 and Q1, which Q5 is for hi-fi users, with more compatibility, a wider range of adaptation. Q3 will be simplified from Q5 to integrated amp module. Q1 will be one of the easiest devices to use with iPhone. Q5 will be listed first, followed by Q1, Q3 will be a little late to winter.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #917 of 3,173
I think that they should sell a DAC version and then a DAC/Amp version. And the DAC/Amp version comes with one of the 2 modules.
That would fix the problem with people who are too stupid to read and order the wrong thing and then blame FiiO.
And it would fix the problem of the people who are upset about the Amp that they aren't going to use and want to whine about "paying" for it when in reality it probably would cost $5-10 more total.

Mar 26, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #918 of 3,173
  FiiO Q series will be listed three products Q5 Q3 and Q1, which Q5 is for hi-fi users, with more compatibility, a wider range of adaptation. Q3 will be simplified from Q5 to integrated amp module. Q1 will be one of the easiest devices to use with iPhone. Q5 will be listed first, followed by Q1, Q3 will be a little late to winter.

Thanks for the update!

A few questrions:
  1. Could you give us an approx timeline of when the 3 products will be listed?
  2. Are you saying that the Q3 will not be able to use the detachable amp modules, but will instead only have one integrated amp option (and how powerful might this amp be)?
  3. Will the Q1 be an updated version of the current Q1?

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #920 of 3,173
  I think that they should sell a DAC version and then a DAC/Amp version. And the DAC/Amp version comes with one of the 2 modules.
That would fix the problem with people who are too stupid to read and order the wrong thing and then blame FiiO.
And it would fix the problem of the people who are upset about the Amp that they aren't going to use and want to whine about "paying" for it when in reality it probably would cost $5-10 more total.

Good suggestions, but as for the paying for the amp module they didn't want. You may be right that when bundled from FiiO the cost of the unwanted module is likely not that high to the customer, the fact that they then need to spend what, about $99 for a new module plus the time and maybe shipping costs is what I think would be the real issue. But yes, offering a few configuration options is fine, but in the end that is the same thing as letting people decide. The problem as I understand it from FiiO's perspective is knowing how many of what modules to make so even if they do have multiple configuration options available, they still have to decide how many of each to produce.

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #921 of 3,173
Just to weigh in on the to-bundle-or-not-to-bundle debate; the complaint about buying an X7 without a module falls squarely with the authorised reseller and not on FiiO policy. The reseller is responsible for not only clearly explaining that the X7 (Standard Edition) comes with no module but then repeating that information to any prospective sale. Time consuming, I know, but it is the responsibility of the reseller to provide both a competent service experience and promote FiiO in a positive manner. In this respect it makes all of the sense for FiiO to sell the X7 and eventually the Q5 without any module. The reseller can then, if they so wish, create their own bundle packages which would reflect the difference in module price. We have to remember that FiiO are still proportionally really small and I doubt it is economically viable for them to pack and produce 5 different types of pre-bundled, pre-boxed X7/Q5.

As for the AM1 and ending up with an unwanted module, I think that it was a good call to release the X7 and then quickly follow with the modules as and when they were ready as it shaved a good 6 months or so off of the release date.

When it comes to having accurate sales data of which modules are popular, I just don't think FiiO would have reliable information. From their perspective they only have numbers of boxes shipped to each reseller but no actual data on how much of each shipment is sold. Equally due to the staggered release of each module (months between them in some cases) they'll have to somehow adjust for that which, considering they're dedicating a great effort to getting the X5iii produced and the amount of projects in the pipeline, I just doubt they have time for.

Mar 29, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #922 of 3,173
  Just to weigh in on the to-bundle-or-not-to-bundle debate; the complaint about buying an X7 without a module falls squarely with the authorised reseller and not on FiiO policy. The reseller is responsible for not only clearly explaining that the X7 (Standard Edition) comes with no module but then repeating that information to any prospective sale. Time consuming, I know, but it is the responsibility of the reseller to provide both a competent service experience and promote FiiO in a positive manner. In this respect it makes all of the sense for FiiO to sell the X7 and eventually the Q5 without any module. The reseller can then, if they so wish, create their own bundle packages which would reflect the difference in module price. We have to remember that FiiO are still proportionally really small and I doubt it is economically viable for them to pack and produce 5 different types of pre-bundled, pre-boxed X7/Q5.

As for the AM1 and ending up with an unwanted module, I think that it was a good call to release the X7 and then quickly follow with the modules as and when they were ready as it shaved a good 6 months or so off of the release date.

When it comes to having accurate sales data of which modules are popular, I just don't think FiiO would have reliable information. From their perspective they only have numbers of boxes shipped to each reseller but no actual data on how much of each shipment is sold. Equally due to the staggered release of each module (months between them in some cases) they'll have to somehow adjust for that which, considering they're dedicating a great effort to getting the X5iii produced and the amount of projects in the pipeline, I just doubt they have time for.

I think they will be able to have good sales data. I would look at reordering rates and compare them with their direct sales data, I really think the information is not very complex to analyze. I also think given that the X7 was plagued by constant bugs for so long, the majority of the X7 thread was bug discussions delaying the launch might have been better. I know that sounds harsh, but I followed that thread for a long time and so many bugs should never have happened, it seemed like a rushed release with far too little testing.

Edit: It also begs the question about being spread too thin in your R&D and testing. Maybe it is better to release fewer, but better tested products?

Mar 29, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #923 of 3,173
I think you should be able to order it from Fiio with whatever amp module you want. Other sellers can sell it pre-bundled with whatever amp fiio chooses. That way, people can get it the way they want.

Mar 29, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #924 of 3,173

You're right! 

Sellers have a responsibility of explaining things! 

I'm glad that Romanian stores do take the time to explain some things and do have the technical skill and knowledge to do this! 

Since you raised the question, I hope you're taking the effort of explaining things to newcomers as my experience and the help I got in Romania actually got me hooked in this hobby 
biggrin.gif

Working with a seller is much more than a price and sale thing in this hobby in my view. 

Apr 7, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #927 of 3,173

AKM AK4490EN
Premium 32-Bit 2ch DAC
THD+N: -112dB
S/N:120dB
32-Bit 8x Digital Filter
Support 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz and 11.2MHz DSD

According to spec, the Q5 will have 2 AK4490ENs (running in dual mono mode, I'm assuming...) I hope that means better performance from the DAC, but then I worry about battery life. Either way, I hope they nail the implementation as there are quite a few successful products that are powered by the AK4490, so it will be tough to stand out amongst the competition.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #928 of 3,173

According to spec, the Q5 will have 2 AK4490ENs (running in dual mono mode, I'm assuming...) I hope that means better performance from the DAC, but then I worry about battery life. Either way, I hope they nail the implementation as there are quite a few successful products that are powered by the AK4490, so it will be tough to stand out amongst the competition.

Yes and no. There aren't many DAC/amp combinations with Bluetooth and WiFi in a portable form factor that I know of. There are some, I owned the Creative E5 for a time which was pretty nice, but a little edgy overall.

Apr 8, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #929 of 3,173
  Yes and no. There aren't many DAC/amp combinations with Bluetooth and WiFi in a portable form factor that I know of. There are some, I owned the Creative E5 for a time which was pretty nice, but a little edgy overall.

Fair enough. All the more reason why battery life and power usage specs matter. No point in having all these features if you can only use it for an hour before it dies.

Apr 9, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #930 of 3,173
One thing I don't understand is the drive towards super slim devices from all of these manufacturers. I'd rather they made it 10% fatter and give another 50% battery life...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back