Fiio EX1 2nd Gen
Jan 24, 2017 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

ivanceci

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!
I've just received my new Fiio Ex1 2nd gen headphones.
I was very satisfied with the previous mode. I hope this will be a further improvement.
c850f6345fc9e91cce0baa2271d8d05d.jpg

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 69
Can you post your first impressions?

They sound very very well. Far better than the previous gen.
Slightly warm on the lows, very very neutral on the mids and absolutely clear on highs. Great soundstage.

Construction is solid, the cable is very resistant and comfortable.

Just one issue: on my Samsung S7 Edge inline controls are not functioning at all...mic, volume, play/pause button...nothing... :confused:

From the Fiio website they seem to be fully compatible with Android and partially with ios.

Tried on my ipad...play/pause button and mic are regularly functioning so i think there is a compatibility issue with my S7...later I will try them on another Android device.

Jan 25, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 69
UPDATE ABOUT INITIAL ISSUE WITH INLINE CONTROLS ON ANDROID.

After a reboot of my Galaxy S7 the inline controls and mic are now fully working. So I think it was just an issue with my device.

Jan 25, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 69
I'm waiting to test the headphone s on the new X5III (should be in my hands the next week :wink:).

For now I can tell you that this new model worths all the money.
Sound is excellent, expecially with voices.
Extremely clear on the mids and highs. They have a very neutral sound.

Inline controls are useful and volume/play/pause buttons are extremely comfortable.

The new cable is very resistant and easy to roll (the older model was a nightmare...)

Finally the packaging is more elegant and finished in comparison to the previous model.

I strongly recommend to buy them if you love neutral sound, inline controls and a great quality construction for less than 100$.

Jan 26, 2017 at 12:50 AM Post #10 of 69
Hi Guys, yesterday I sadly have to return my new Fiio headphones because of the issue with the inline controls (volume/play/pause button and mic not functioning).
Tested on 5 different smartphones (4 Android and 1 iOS) and with all of them I experienced issues with the 3.5 connector. It seems that the jack (or one of the electrical contacts) is faulty. Inline controls (volume and play/pause buttons, mic) are intermittent. The only way to restore them is pressing or pulling the 3.5 jack connector inside the hole.
Tried also to clean the connector but it didn't solve.

Today I should receive a new pair of headphones. Hope that this new pair will not be affected by the issue.

I will keep you informed! :wink:

Jan 30, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #11 of 69
Very interested in these.

If the mids are indeed better than the previous version, I'm all in.

Mar 3, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 69
Screw it, just ordered a pair of 1More's... I feel a pair of these might have to come in my amazon delivery too...

Would be interesting to see how both of these fair compared to my king of the hill Soundmagic E80...

Mar 4, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #14 of 69
Received the EX1ii today, loving the packaging, the carry case is fantastic...

Looking forward to burning these in a little to put them through their paces...

We definitely have a new contender for budget king on our hands,, Best initial thought is that these are super easy to drive, sounding perfectly good plugged into my S7 Edge cellphone :)

Mar 5, 2017 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 69
Hi

My first contribution to a review after lurking for a good while.

I received my EX1 (2nd gen) (I'll refer to them as the EX1G2 going forward) yesterday via Amazon and sold by the super-helpful folk at EA Audio here in the UK.

My previous pair were  the original EX1G1 as well as various versions of the Xiaomi/ 1More Pistons and hybrids..

My portable setup (which is where I use the EX1s) comprise a Fiio X5ii with the new (and astoundingly good) Fiio A5

My initial impressions are that the new EX1G2's are very bright, enough for them to be a bit distracting unfortunately. I'm not sure if they will settle down after burn in (left them playing overnight (8 hours) and there's not been a noticeable difference. The problem is that they have made me realise that the bass on original EX1 needs tightenning.

The changes to the cable and the inclusion of the in-line control are very welcome as it means I can use these with my Android phone (controls worked immediately on my Note 4). The change in cable is definitely an improvement as rolling up the original always reminded of trying to roll a smoke, which I was never any good at!

I think that the black finish of the EX1G2 is dead classy (time will tell if they hold up to the rigours of portable use. They'll look awful if the paint scratches.. The advantage of the silver/ unpainted ones is that they have retained their looks when they got knocked about a bit

The carrying box appears unchanged from the EX1G1

My brother in law received the 'Xiaomi Mi IV Hybrid Dual Drivers' and these new Fiio's reminded me a lot of them. However at Fiio's UK asking price of £62 here in the UK vs the £20 benig asked for the Xiaomi's, it looks like I'l be returning the Fiio's if the sound doesn't change...

Pity, as I am a major Fiio fan and really wanted to love these. 

I'll post my opinions and action taken after I've had these for a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back