Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing...
Jul 20, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #3,541 of 11,460
Great new excitement. H1 is expecting his Hugo2 and CF is expecting his Eatter. Looking forward to reports on both.

My big excitement is I'm increasingly settling of a small number of preferred tube combos and it doesn't seem to matter which one I'm using. They all sound great on Euforia.

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #3,542 of 11,460
Hmmmm is that what I bought? Just what I need, now I have to feed someone else. One just for you PCT .

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #3,543 of 11,460
CF: Many, many years ago I saw Tanya live at a small county rodeo in southwest Colorado. Part of the time they were together she and Glen Campbell lived here in Phoenix. Never was a great fan of hers, but like your video.

Here's one for you

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #3,544 of 11,460
Nice version, looks like we have this to ourselves, like old times! Here's one for you..

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3,545 of 11,460
Yeah. I remember those days. Good times. Elise brought you and I together, and now you are a true and good friend.

I love that version of Sounds of Silence. Never have seen it before. S&G released it when I was in college and it has always been a favorite of mine. It was a stroke of genius to include it in The Graduate.It is one of a hand full of songs that I never tire of hearing..

This is another one.

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #3,546 of 11,460
Well, it looks like I have run out of time......

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #3,547 of 11,460
I would love to attend a live performance of the Morman Tabernacle Choir, they have quite a sound. Of course Hans Zimmer is one of my favorite's This is one of my favorite performances of the Choir

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #3,549 of 11,460
Those "short bottle" are not as common as the tall ones, right? I have not seen that construction so often on eBay. Where did you source them?

From Ebay (USA). I don't have much information about them. Yes. It is about 1 cm shorter than the slotted and solid graphic ones (measured after reading your post)

One of the tubes base broke during shipping (really old and friable). The seller waives money for the broken tube after i showed the picture.

Both tubes test and work fine. A bit scary to handle without good bases.

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:13 PM Post #3,550 of 11,460
JV, while the article that you quote from is interesting it really doesn't prove much other than people's hearing is different. Some people would be put off by the size of it if they're used to using a dragonfly 2 and may not appreciate the extra supposed benefits of the higher-priced dac your visual acuity will also lead you to buy one piece or the other. If you did nothing but a blind test and whatever they chose is the best one, you put all the ingredients in one square black box that you could not differentiate from any of the other and that's the way they were all sold, people would naturally just go for whichever one sounded best of them and they'll buy the one for $50 or $500 it wouldn't matter to them. But design Style and the company's reputation also go into that. I recently tried a dac from a company in China That was supposed to be quite good it was the ladder dac, I thought okay I'll give that a shot it wasn't such a good shot. When I went with the Schiit Gumby I have been very satisfied especially with the customer service. To me that's worth at least 25% of my decision knowing the company is going to back their product. The Euforia amp sounds much better to me than the Elise amp, can I hear the difference between the two, yes do I know that the Euphoria has upgraded parts yes I know that can I hear them I could not pick out an individual resistor, capacitor that made a difference but the sum total of the package definitely made a difference. I rate the design quite highly for what you get for the money that you pay. My problem is the length of the supply chain if you have to send it back for service you've got a week both ways for Transit Plus the hundred and some dollars to ship it back then you have to figure how long is it going to be tied up before they get it fixed. The guy in Australia had to wait quite awhile for the Elise to be fixed, that bothers me and this last episode of mine with the fuse blowing and having to scramble around trying to find a fuse is that user-replaceable the company should have included a spare fuse whether you ever needed it or not cheap insurance, so you'd have one. But that all goes into making up your mind is this product worthwhile, is it better does it sound better, you can make that determination, but there's other things that go into mix before you throw your money down

Hello CF...I was not quoting an article, I was telling a story about what actually happened. For me, (in blind testing) I thought Yggy was slightly better than the much lower end dac, but I would not be willing to pay the difference for the amount of sonic gain.

I too (I think we agree here) like a "warmer" dac sound, to a colder, (and possibly more accurate one?).

Also agree wholeheardtly about the FA offerings and the situation where it might need servicing, it's a long long and expensive trip back to Poland. Too bad they don't have service agreements in the countries they intend to sell in.

My biggest problem with Elise was the heat. Needed a fan. Many of my circuit boards looked and smelled like burnt electronics, very early on. I noted within the first week of ownership that it smelled like burnt electronic. Surely a small fan (or out boarding of the transformer) is needed to keep the heat down so as not to cook the electronics and/or boards inside.

Your fuse blowing is not normal....any idea what caused it?

Glad you got it sorted.

Take Care....

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #3,551 of 11,460
My experience with heat and Elise was different. I never detected any burnt smell, and while the tubes were often hot, as they are on any tube amp, the chassis never seemed unusually hot to me. This a picture of the bottom of the Elise I'm selling, and it doesn't look like any internal damage was done after a year and a half of usage.. I have not opened it up, so don't know for sure what it looks like inside.

ELISE 2.jpg

Jul 21, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #3,553 of 11,460
My experience with heat and Elise was different. I never detected any burnt smell, and while the tubes were often hot, as they are on any tube amp, the chassis never seemed unusually hot to me. This a picture of the bottom of the Elise I'm selling, and it doesn't look like any internal damage was done after a year and a half of usage.. I have not opened it up, so don't know for sure what it looks like inside.

I am happy for you, if yours didn't suffer from the heat.

Mine has melted plastic (or vinyl) resister/capacitor lead coverings, many resistors got so hot that you cannot read the color bands anymore (and certainly appear to be physically deteriorating from the heat.

Later production amps have several good sized holes drilled in the board seen in your photo, to allow heat to rise up and pass through this area. That tells me FA is aware of the heat buildup problem.

Mine still works, too, but for how long? In my case, I do wish I had added a small fan to carry heat away.

Using the external Transformer, was the answer to keep mine from completely failing. Deck and innards MUCH cooler when not using the internal transformer to supply the heater currents.

In your picture, you would know a lot more about the internal condition, by removing the bottom panel and taking a closer look.

I paid the small intro price for Elise and certainly got my moneys worth of enjoyment out of it.

If I could have changed something about its design, it would have been a Transformer that was not enclosed under the cover. Mount he Transformer on top deck where it can dissipate its heat in to the air and keep the innards much cooler, as in the Glenn designs (and most classic 1940's/50's designs)...many air holes along the sides as found in the Darkvoice, would also have helped...if not these two items, a small fan should have been mandatory, IMHO.

Cheers.

Jul 21, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #3,555 of 11,460
That level of technical expertise is way above my pay grade :o2smile:
Re the heat problem with the Elise, I thought of it early on and installed octal socket savers in all four sockets. In addition to saving wear and tear on the sockets during frequent tube rolling, these socket savers act as insulators and substantially reduce the heat transfer from the tube to the chassis.
In addition to this, since Feliks Audio recommends that the amp should have at least three feet of air space above it, I mounted a 4" computer fan above the amp in my equipment rack where I keep it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back